Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question about a Voltage Comparator

• 06-06-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine has asked me to build him a circuit to fix his heater controls in his Ford Puma. There's a signal which is sent to the heater control unit which should flop between 12-14v and 0 depending on temperature of the car, but because his one is faulty, instead of dropping to zero, it drops to 9v.

My initial thought was just to use a relay as a voltage based switch, but most relays will accept 8v as a minimum input, thereby activating the circuit permenantly.

I've roughly layed out a circuit using a comparator circuit, but was wondering if something like an LM393 could accept the high voltages such as 14v on it's inverting/non inverting inputs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Not having any details to go on other than your description, the LM393 is specced to run to 36v in a single-sided configuration (i.e. a single supply and ground rather than a positive and negative supply), so that's not a problem as long as the supply voltage is equal or higher than the input levels, as far as I remember.

But I have no idea what kind of input you're passing in (voltage range, current, etc.) or what the output needs to drive (relay, transistor, etc.) so I can't express certainty.

Hope that helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Definitely definitely helps. Thanks Gadget!

Advertisement