Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Frankly I'd like to see what another team will do with the Halo IP.

People think Halo was "nothing special" but then again it did basically become one of the Standards. I don't think I've seen a game since, where you can carry a dozen odd rifles and rocket launchers in your pocket. The levels were quirky but the action and story were great. Not without it's complaints, but you can't say it wasn't perhaps one of the first truly great console FPS games. Before that the genre was pretty much confined to the PC. It went a long way to proving the Mouse and Keyboard (while still my preference by a long shot) was not the only good way to shoot something in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Recently played Halo: reach and Halo: ODST in co-op mode, enjoyed the hell out of both.
    More please.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Even as a hardcore Halo fan, I still found it strange that they're deciding to go with another trilogy. It seemed with the end of Halo 3 that things were pretty well tied up and anything extra was unneeded.

Regardless, it will be very interesting to see where they go with this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Overheal wrote: »
    Frankly I'd like to see what another team will do with the Halo IP.

People think Halo was "nothing special" but then again it did basically become one of the Standards. I don't think I've seen a game since, where you can carry a dozen odd rifles and rocket launchers in your pocket.

You can only carry 2 weapons at a time in Halo and a handful of grenades. Half Life on the other hand has a rogue scientist in a hazmat suit carrying everything from a crowbar to a blackhole gun at once.

Still, I enjoyed all the Halo games and the ones with co-op, great fun to be had and the music at some set piece fire fights top most games hands down. Not bad games at all but not ground breaking either, good solid alien shooters.

You can only carry 2 weapons at a time in Halo and a handful of grenades. Half Life on the other hand has a rogue scientist in a hazmat suit carrying everything from a crowbar to a blackhole gun at once.
    Yeah but that was carried over from the 1998 original. Probably done in a couple "Old School" games, but there are few of those left. Closest thing is Mass Effect but they do a good job of showing how the weapons Package up and fit on yer man's back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo wasn't the first game with a 2 weapon limit either. A lot of tactical shooters at the time were going for the same thing. I won't argue that it was Halo that made it catch on. I'd still rather the more interesting weapon load outs of stuff like Half-Life than CoD or Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I dont see why people go on about it being Milked, there are 5 now (1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach) with another trilogy on the way. Who cares? Nobody's giving out about Final Fantasy, or the 9 Ratchet and Clank games.

And I guarantee that if you give Sony time, and God Of War and Uncharted will have just as many games.

I say let them make as many as they like, some will be great, some wont be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

DarkJager wrote: »
    If Bungie had left their legacy at Halo 3 it would have been grand, Reach sort of sullied it a bit (and in the context of things was a pointless addition to the series).
    I don't think Reach did too much damage to Halos reputation, not after ODST managed to drag IMO a rather bland shooter franchise into the gutter, smear itself with sh!t and then have the gall to ask full price from the gaming public for the privilege of playing a glorified (and piss poor) expansion pack.
    DjFlin wrote: »
    I dont see why people go on about it being Milked, there are 5 now (1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach) with another trilogy on the way. Who cares? Nobody's giving out about Final Fantasy, or the 9 Ratchet and Clank games.

And I guarantee that if you give Sony time, and God Of War and Uncharted will have just as many games.

I say let them make as many as they like, some will be great, some wont be.
    I have a bit of a problem with it since it gives the developers carte blanc to sell any old tat knowing full well that the Halo brand alone will result in massive sales as the fanboys lap this bilge up. This is the Bobby Kotick school of game design, wring every last grubby penny out of the customer by pushing bland, tired sequels into the market when the money could be better spent developing new and exciting games that move the entire industry forward. I find it hard to imagine games such as Portal or Dragon Age: Origins being allowed to be created in such an enviroment where the quantity of your releases mattered much more then the quality.

* I realise the irony in mentioning DA:O considering the complete and utter clusterfu@K DA:2 turned out to be

You know, that tries to be full of action, and "Ooooh" factor, but it misses the mark on all attempts. It just manages to be cliche.

For a teaser it's perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I bet Bungie are really pissed that they don't own the IP, pretty sure they would have let it rest after Reach. H3 was a great ending to the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got the feeling that Bungie had been gagging to get away from the Halo franchise and try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Meh. As others have said, cant get too excited from that teaser. Much more looking forward to play Halo:CE again than a new instalment, it should be left alone now. ODST was f*cking awful, Reach was a good addition IMO but thats enough now.

Played through Halo:CE a couple of months ago and it was great, would love to give it another go in nice polished HD graphics.
    Mr E wrote: »
    You say that like Halo 1, 2, 3 and Reach were good. :)

I hope that was trolling, if not it's just idiotic.

I enjoyed ODST a lot more than the other games in the series. Not being tuppin' master chief was a refreshing change. That and it was essentially Halo: Firefly edition.
    I don't get the hate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

maximoose wrote: »
    I hope that was trolling, if not it's just idiotic.

Nice, way to call the category mod of being an idiot!

But everyone knows that the Halo series are the greatest games ever made, faultless and awesome, never to be topped in terms of the experience it provides the participants, or am I mixing it up with sex with women?....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

But everyone knows that the Halo series are the greatest games ever made, faultless and awesome, never to be topped in terms of the experience it provides the participants, or am I mixing it up with sex with women?....

I think you're mixing it up :)

I'm not a Halo fanboy by any means. I do think the first game was magnificent, and each instalment after has been a disappointment compared to it but still very good games (bar ODST, which was awful). But to say that one of the most successful games in recent years, commercially and critically, isn't even "good" is just daft. Or trolling. Mod or no mod ;)

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm not a Halo fanboy by any means. I do think the first game was magnificent, and each instalment after has been a disappointment compared to it but still very good games (bar ODST, which was awful). But to say that one of the most successful games in recent years, commercially and critically, isn't even "good" is just daft. Or trolling. Mod or no mod ;)

You do know the critics can get it wrong and a look at the charts each week shows that people buy alot of **** games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Good god a lot of people love halo bashing...

Honestly if you've nothing decent to say about the next halo coming out you shouldn't be posting here...

Can someone start a thread for people to bitch and moan about their most hated games... so people can then chat about games they like without it being ruined by people who cannot stop themselves from showing their dislike for the game in question...

BOT

I myself love halo... and cannot wait for the next one... I wonder if they'll add anything new to the game (weapons etc)...

And is this new threat the covenant again? or a new alien race?

It's a discussion forum. People have differing opinions. It's what makes it interesting. It would be a lot less interesting if we were all going around patting each other on the back congratulating each other on our great taste in games.

People love to bash games like halo because most people who self identify as gamers are just hipsters.

• Advertisement

People love to bash games like halo because most people who self identify as gamers are just hipsters.

You can use the hipster argument all you want but maybe it's just they have more experience with FPS games across multiple systems. More helpful would be if you tried to defend your argument about why they are wrong without resorting to childish name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My first post in this thread was 75% genuine, 25% tongue-in-cheek.
    Halo fans (and I acknowledge that there are a lot of you) are always going to say "How dare you!"

Regardless of reviews, ratings, sales, fanboys, I just didn't like the halo games.

Personal opinion (on a discussion forum, imagine that?)

Sorry. :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You can use the hipster argument all you want but maybe it's just they have more experience with FPS games across multiple systems.

Well, in order for that to be true, it would mean that nobody who has "more experience with FPS games across multiple systems." could like halo... Which is nonsense. It's a blatant appeal to authority and as such is fucking stupid argument.

Maybe next time you could just rephrase your amazing 'argument' as "they were playing games with two weapon limits before it was popular" and stop pretending.

I'm just trying to point out some people have different experiences and different opinions. Anywau isn't your argument that everyone that hates Halo because they are a hipster, as you put it, 'a ****ing stupid argument'.

I suggest you stop being immature and getting your knickers in a twist because some people decide that something you like isn't good and try to be constructive.

I also never said that Halo was a bad game because games before it had the mechanics that Halo gets credited for being innovative for so stop pretending yourself by making stuff up.

I'm just trying to point out some people have different experiences and different opinions.

No, that's not what you're doing at all.
    You're claiming that people who don't like Halo feel that way because they have "more experience with FPS games across multiple systems".
    Therefore the opposite would hold true, people who do like halo must have less experience with FPS games i.e. they just don't know any better.
    Nice one. A real class act there.

I suggest you stop being immature and getting your knickers in a twist because some people decide that something you like isn't good and try to be constructive.

This may surprise you, but i am not the worlds biggest halo fan, I enjoyed my time playing ODST and Reach but if there was never another halo game i doubt I'd lose any sleep over it.
    You may not have enjoyed the ones you played, and that's fine. But this collective circle-jerking over how "awful" the entire series is and how anyone who disagrees is a "halo fanboy"? fucking hipster-style nonsense.

This snobbery over games, of all fucking things, is crass and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

You can use the hipster argument all you want but maybe it's just they have more experience with FPS games across multiple systems.
    You're claiming that people who don't like Halo feel that way because they have "more experience with FPS games across multiple systems"

:rolleyes:

Actually, I really hate posts that just have a smiley in them so I am going to give my opinion.

Some people like Halo, enjoy the gameplay and universe. Other people do not like it.

Boards.ie is a discussion forum where people of differing opinions, such as above, can discuss it in a polite way.

If anything above is objectionable, then discuss it or create your own blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This snobbery over games, of all ****ing things, is crass and pathetic.

It's not snobbery. Different people like different games. It's a fact. You'll get the same with the COD games, Bioware games, Bullet Hell games, Final Fantasy games and so on. Some like them, some don't.

I love games that other people hate. I was playing Outland last week when a friend arrived at my house. He was wondering why I was playing a 2D platform game on my xbox when I had games beside the console like LA Noire, Portal 2 and MK. Different strokes for different folks.

I hated Demon's Souls (much to the annoyance of Retr0 and the other DS fanboys here). "How could I hate that? Rawr.. rabble rabble... etc. etc."

The difference between you and I is that I don't really give a crap what others think of my taste in games.

I play games for ME and MY own enjoyment, not to impress others. If I don't like a game, so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

i just entered in to this thread and first thing that poped up was this post.

i loled and know what expect from this thread now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Halo: Combat Evolved revolutionized the First-Person Shooter genre with its combat and artificial intelligence. I wrote an in-depth article of the breadth of Halo's combat and artificial intelligence design (here) which covers in breadth everything but the compelling circular level design. In those terms, there was no First-Person Shooter close to it on a PC or a console, or in an arcade or in anything else pre-release and there are very few First-Person Shooters close to it post-release. The Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room is one of the best sections ever in a First-Person Shooter.

The graphic card companies, and by extension every company that fed off of them (PC journalists), could not hack it that Bungie and particularly Microsoft took PC gaming's flagship genre to an inferior platform and reinvented it - a theme throughout Bungie's history on the Mac. The arguments they created were delusional and irrational and quite funny actually, and all but the most indoctrinated of PC gamers now recognize and accept that.

Hooradiation, Retr0gamer is kind of like the "Last Zionist": you know, the last person who believes all the bullshit.

• Advertisement

Sorry but they are my own observations. As a devote follower of the church of Flavor Flav I didn't fall for the hype or take everything that was fed to me as true and came to my own conclusions.

Advertisement