Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lorry diver work problems, 5 hour notice for start time !!

Options
  • 06-06-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

In november my dh employer lost their contract and it was taken up by new company. They were given the option to take redundacy or change over under there same t/c. 19 signed over. But they have been put through hell. The company have breeched various t/c and its even been taking to court by their union. But my dh just cant take it any longer, they rang him last night at 9pm with his start time of 3am for a 9 hour shift driving a truck.
    The company are doing everything in their power to get them to leave. My dh cant take it any more he is severly depressed. Iv never ever seem him like this, he had to take 2 wks of at christmas he was so bad.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

P.A.C wrote: »
    I dh cant take it any more he is severly depressed.

1) He needs to see his GP for medical advice re being depressed. If the current GP doesn't help, keep trying until you find one who does.

2) Re the employment issues, try contacting NERA.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭P.A.C

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If they are doing anything which breaches drivers hour regulations report the matter to the Road Safety Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭P.A.C

They have been reported they have even been in court re breach of contract. But its just gets tied up in red tape and being put back. So in the meantime they are making life hell for those who have complained!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭donkey balls

We had the same problem with an employer contacting there drivers with a 5/6 hour notice if even that to start my self included,We just refused to work at such short notice as for the RSA they really cannot do anything unless your oh employer is actually breaking the law regarding drivers hours&WTD.
    It's a grey area regarding the notice time and unfortunately there is nothing in law to state what sort of notice should be giving, Believe me I know what it's like to work under those conditions not knowing what time to go to bed at or can you call over to a mates house or will they call you saying your start time is 2/3am the only way companies like this will listen unfortunatley is when someone is seriously injured or god forbid killed in a RTA.
    Having worked in the transport industry for over 15yrs now I still cannot fathom how a company can not set up a roster,ok sometimes there could be a last minute change to the start time or even a delay but to be calling someone every night with a few hours notice is totally un professional in the transport&logistics industry these days.
    Op just a bit of advise regarding your other half having depression be VERY CAREFULLY on how your oh approach this the company could use it against him going along the lines that he would be unfit to drive etc and could cause a accident,also how to they contact him at home does he a have a company mobile if not he should tell them that his phone is broke and that when he finishes work that day they need to tell him his start time for the following day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement