Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salami, chorizo etc

Options
  • 06-06-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anybody here recommend somewhere that i could buy some good quality Salamis? When on hols i usually pick up a few but ran out a few weeks ago. I love the ones you can get in Italy/France/Germany that hasve thee mould on the outside, the meat on the inside always seems to be especially tastey!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm no expert but Lidl have chorizo which I find to be tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On The Pig's Back in The English market has a good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Big Lar

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm no expert but Lidl have chorizo which I find to be tasty.
    They also do nice salimi, bit salty thou

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

That sliced or can you actually buy the sausage?

The sausage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

my local dunnes do a nice selection aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lidl/Aldi both have a great sliced Chorizo (get the one with the large marbling) Not a fan of either's offering in the sausage format. But my personal favourite Chorizo is 'Sol' which you can usually get in Spar/Superquinn/Tesco.
    Dunnes and M&S own brand are also pretty good.

I'm not a fan of the Sliced stuff as when the pack is opened it starts to dry out. I prefer the sausage as only a small piece at the end dries. WIll check all of the above out, cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you want to buy irish, Gubeen (the fergeson's who make the cheese in west cork) also make a chorizo which is pretty good. Alternatively if you want a little hobby, you could make your own. I have a recipe somewhere if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

duploelabs wrote: »
    If you want to buy irish, Gubeen (the fergeson's who make the cheese in west cork) also make a chorizo which is pretty good. Alternatively if you want a little hobby, you could make your own. I have a recipe somewhere if you want it

stick it up i would be interested in that recipe duplolabs, bought my own meat mincer/sausage filler a few weeks back with the intention of making my own sausage and puddings, just didn't get around to it yet.

• Advertisement

I would certainly be interested in the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

+1 for Gubeen.

If you are in Dublin then you can get it in Avoca Handweavers usually.

The lidl one is.....well I have eaten and cooked with it but....it isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think the Gubeen chorizo is the best flavoured chorizo that I've tasted but the texture can vary somewhat and is never as good as the flavour - but what a flavour!
    Some of their other salamis are pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

mcgills in clarendon street has some great salamis and chorizos. especially a spicy chorizo which is unbelievable.

I got the Tesco brand Italian Salami sausage on Wednesday. Nice Texture, pleasant taste but it's just seems to be missing something.

Guill wrote: »
    I got the Tesco brand Italian Salami sausage on Wednesday. Nice Texture, pleasant taste but it's just seems to be missing something.

Most likely the Meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Big Lar wrote: »
    Most likely the Meat.

or soul

Happened to hit Cork for the weekend, went to the English markets and happned to spot the Gubeen Chorizo and Salami, got one of each. Haven't tried them yet but cheers for the recommendation.

Advertisement