Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Sciences?!!

Options
  • 06-06-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Am I'm about to start the process of sitting the junior cert in two days time and the one subject I'm really looking forward to is science. Its by far my best subject!

I was thinking of keeping on all three sciences next year?.. Just wondering if I'm a little bit in over my head with the idea because I wouldn't count myself as the smartest person ever, I just a great interest in science haha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

You would be better off asking this in the Leaving Cert forum as we really won't know what we're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

KianHRTE wrote: »
    Am I'm about to start the process of sitting the junior cert in two days time and the one subject I'm really looking forward to is science. Its by far my best subject!

I was thinking of keeping on all three sciences next year?.. Just wondering if I'm a little bit in over my head with the idea because I wouldn't count myself as the smartest person ever, I just a great interest in science haha

firstly...most schools only offer 2 sciences as the timetable wouldnt cater for a 3rd(usually) i picked chemistry and biology. now i wasnt allowed physics unless i dropped chemistry....understand??
    anyway its good to have another subject to open all doors..if your confident you can do well in all 3 maybe do a 3rd science outside of school if school doesnt do it..
    good luck in your exams ......sobre todo ciencias :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

If it's a field you think you may like a career in, then go for it! Even if you don't study science at college, you'll still be able to get into most courses provided you do a language.

My brother did Chemistry, physics and agricultural science for LC and now he's training to be a primary teacher, so it won't be a hindrance by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KianHRTE

Haha thanks, I am fairly confident in my sciences. By doing all 3 I'm hoping to cover the whole field and still be able to have a wide range of courses to choose from!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

im going into 5th year next year but i did TY last year and im doing the 3 science for my LC because I love the subject! Most schools cant cater for all 3 but mine was able to fit it in because only 6 people wanted to do physics as a subject!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 KianHRTE

Thats cool! My school was always able to do 3 for some reason haha.
    Looking forward to it even though it'll be a challenge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kilo1

Yeah three sciences is ok i wanted to do all three but my school wouldnt allow me :( anywya if you think you can handle the three sciences then definitely go for it. physics can be a little tricky sometimes but if u get three good teachers you'll fly through it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

Remember, statistically (%age of A, B and C grades at Higher Level compared with %age failure rate) Chemistry is the easiest of the 3 LC sciences. Biology is the hardest!!!! Year on year Biology has a lower rate of A, B and C grades and a higher failure than the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 schtroumpf94

Remember, statistically (%age of A, B and C grades at Higher Level compared with %age failure rate) Chemistry is the easiest of the 3 LC sciences. Biology is the hardest!!!! Year on year Biology has a lower rate of A, B and C grades and a higher failure than the other two.

That might be because it has a perception of being easy, then people take it on lightly and fail because they're not up for it! Chemistry isn't seen as easy in the first place so you're more likely to have people taking it that are prepared to work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

That might be because it has a perception of being easy, then people take it on lightly and fail because they're not up for it! Chemistry isn't seen as easy in the first place so you're more likely to have people taking it that are prepared to work :P

I agree 100 per cent. Think about it, people who like/love maths are the ones who usually do physics and everyone knows chemistry is not a walk in the park. Biology is mostly learning off by heart and that's why most people pick it, including the dossers (no lie, I know a guy in fifth year who picked Biology and wouldn't work if he was paid! - also got a NG in christmas test).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

DarkDusk wrote: »
    I agree 100 per cent. Think about it, people who like/love maths are the ones who usually do physics and everyone knows chemistry is not a walk in the park. Biology is mostly learning off by heart and that's why most people pick it, including the dossers (no lie, I know a guy in fifth year who picked Biology and wouldn't work if he was paid! - also got a NG in christmas test).

And because it is picked by 'dossers' it has a higher failure rate and fewer A/B/C grades.

The dossers fail!!!!!

Biology is NOT the easy option most people seem to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I picked biology next year, hate chemistry and physics

Did anyone pick any of the sciences?

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    Did anyone pick any of the sciences?

Physics. :)

You must be good at math so??

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    You must be good at math so??

I guess but that didn't factor into my decision at all.

Is there even a lot of Maths in Physics?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Desire. wrote: »
    I guess but that didn't factor into my decision at all.

Is there even a lot of Maths in Physics?

There is, but the most of it is very straight-forward, and is doable from just knowing where the formulae required are in the Maths Tables. Some can be tricky, but I've always found that the majority of it is straight-forward. If you're doing Applied Maths, apparently it makes it even easier.

A lot of it is just relating the theory you learn from the course into mathematics.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I do 2 sciences, Chemistry and Biology. I'm doing all 3 sciences next year in university so having 2 already done to Leaving Cert level is a great help.

There are a few in my year who do 3 - and they would say that if you know you'll do something science-related after school then go for it. I have to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics next year in Science Education, so I'll be at a disadvantage with physics, although they do teach it from scratch.

If there's another subject you know you can get high marks in though - for me it was geography - then choose that instead. At the end of the day the points are the most important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

A Leaving Cert Physics student here :), just saw this thread and thought I'd give a bit of info about the subject.

There is very very little formula learning to be done in physics due to the presence of the new maths tables - almost all the formulas are in there, so don't be worrying about that! As for the maths - you don't need to be an A student in Higher Level to be able to do it by any stretch of the imagination to do it! Most of it is very straight forward

Good luck with your subject choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I'm doing Chemistry and Physics.
    God help me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

I'm doing Chemisry and Biology, both of which I *think* I'm good at.

Go to examinations and look at a physics LC HL paper.... You can tell there are many, many, many formulae involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Anyone in leaving cert doing phys/chem - the subject with some physics and chemistry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Im doing Biology and Physics, my school doesn't offer chemistry :( I'd do all 3 if I could...Planning on doing science in college ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Indiego wrote: »
    Im doing Biology and Physics, my school doesn't offer chemistry :( I'd do all 3 if I could...Planning on doing science in college ^^

Really that's odd, seeing as its needed for so many courses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

So what are yes saying is the easiest Science subject as I consider myself crap at Science. By far I think I do better in Biology but thats because I don't think I totally get Chemistry but Physics is okay I suppose. I want to do Medecine in College but I dont want 2 Science Subjects :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

yournerd wrote: »
    So what are yes saying is the easiest Science subject as I consider myself crap at Science. By far I think I do better in Biology but thats because I don't think I totally get Chemistry but Physics is okay I suppose. I want to do Medecine in College but I dont want 2 Science Subjects :(

From what I've heard (and from what I can tell from my new schoolbooks), Biology seems to be the one that requires learning more than understanding. I really like the look of it too, it looks fairly interesting. If you really liked Biology for JC go for it, it just looks like a much more detailed and in-depth version of JC Biology (with plenty of added bits, mind).

Errr if you want to do medicine in college you should seriously be considering Chemistry tbh. You can get away with just doing one if you do the 6-year course including premed in NUIG and UCD but if you want to go anywhere else two sciences are a must, and from what I've heard Chemistry is the one most essential for Medicine. Don't worry if you don't like it, I've been told that for LC Chemistry to just discount what I learned in JC Science for it (although I quite liked the Chemistry part so ehhh. :pac:).

Tl;dr - One science can get you by if you're prepared to limit your options, but Chemistry is fairly important. S'up to you!

ETA: Medicine is considered a health *science* by the way and as a course and profession it will involve a lot of science, just a heads up.

If I want to work in the hospital as a Doctor Is medecine the course for me?

yournerd wrote: »
    If I want to work in the hospital as a Doctor Is medecine the course for me?

Yes. :pac: you might want to look into it more, it's a serious decision like, I used to be dead set on it but it's a job that requires big sacrifices and dedication. I'll link you a thread focusing on the harsher realities of it when I get on the computer. I almost posted a smiley face but it might not be appropriate here. :p

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Advertisement