Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Sciences?!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Joe95

I'm going into 4th year in September and I chose to do physics, I didn't think of the maths involved in the subject when I put down my subject choices. I always enjoyed physics the most when doing science, and it came easy to me as there wasn't much math involved, and when there was it was common sense math. I did lower maths for my junior cert and I just looked at the Real World Physics book for 4th year and it seems to be very mathematical, page 19 for example. I'm pretty good at lower maths, but honours maths is confusing. It seems easy enough, but I'm just wondering do you think I might get stuck during the 3 years with the math questions? I don't want to do lower physics as I enjoy it a lot and the course seems to be very interesting. I want to do honours, but I feel the math will bring me down a lot.
    So my question is to anyone that is doing or did honours physics and did lower maths for their junior cert, did you find the maths involved hard during the 3 years? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

nearly all of the physics class when i was in LC (10 years ago) were in lower maths. I didn't do physics myself but I know the class passed. There's alway ordinary Physics if you get really stuck I suppose. I think you should stay positive, physics is great as it's so applicable and as you said, common sense. also other people have said that you just need to use formulae and not learn them off by heart which after sitting exams for the last 10 years where all i had to do is use formalae is really easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I seriously considered Physics for a while in 3rd Year and I was told that the maths, for the most part, was fairly basic and you're given most of the formulas in the log tables I think, it's mostly a matter of subbing in values (I think, don't quote me on this).

I don't exactly have experience but I agonised over my subject choices far too much so I know a lot about every subject. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Joe95

nearly all of the physics class when i was in LC (10 years ago) were in lower maths. I didn't do physics myself but I know the class passed. There's alway ordinary Physics if you get really stuck I suppose. I think you should stay positive, physics is great as it's so applicable and as you said, common sense. also other people have said that you just need to use formulae and not learn them off by heart which after sitting exams for the last 10 years where all i had to do is use formalae is really easy...

Alright, thanks. The thing is I don't want to do lower physics as I'll be doing 4 lower subjects then and I'd rather just stick with 3 lower subjects. I made a horrible mistake of dropping down to lower English at the start of September. But yeah, it does all seem to be formula and easy enough stuff like subbing in.

Slow Show wrote: »
    I seriously considered Physics for a while in 3rd Year and I was told that the maths, for the most part, was fairly basic and you're given most of the formulas in the log tables I think, it's mostly a matter of subbing in values (I think, don't quote me on this).

I don't exactly have experience but I agonised over my subject choices far too much so I know a lot about every subject. :pac:
    I've only flicked through a few pages of the physics book and it does see to be all subbing in and formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

I don't know if you still want help seeing as you haven't replied since June but my sister did all 3 sciences: A1 physics, A2 Biology and a B1 in Chemistry she now going to start her PHD in Trinity. By doing all 3 sciences she had a wide range of jobs that are well paid and well respected to choose from, so if you love science it's well worth doing all 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does that mean physics is tthe easier or she was just good at maths?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

niallharty wrote: »
    I don't know if you still want help seeing as you haven't replied since June but my sister did all 3 sciences: A1 physics, A2 Biology and a B1 in Chemistry she now going to start her PHD in Trinity. By doing all 3 sciences she had a wide range of jobs that are well paid and well respected to choose from, so if you love science it's well worth doing all 3!

Following all the staffing cuts very few schools are in a position nowadays to offer all three at LC level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

niallharty wrote: »

Very few jobs would even care about your LC results unless it's like part time work in a shop like...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Fad wrote: »
    Very few jobs would even care about your LC results unless it's like part time work in a shop like...

Even then, they're more likely to want to know will you show up every day and keep your mitts out of the till.

Advertisement