Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell To Make Announcement In Morning - Possible good news?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod, can you change my title to have "Possible Good News" at the end of it?

Done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Discussing it at limerickblogger too.
    Best to wait until the morning though before speculating.

http://www.limerickblogger.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7718

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

They're opening a production line I think, a friend got a job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

100 new jobs (cloud) for mid west from rte.ie announcement 10am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Great news, about time limerick had some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RHunce wrote: »
    They're opening a production line I think, a friend got a job there.

great another 100 mind numbing production line jobs, no thanks - been there done that never again:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

fryup wrote: »
    great another 100 mind numbing production line jobs, no thanks - been there done that never again:cool:

100 jobs 100 people off the dole that the government doesnt have to provide money to. Those same 100 people then will also be spending more!
    Doubt it is more mind numbing then watching jeremy kyle all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

can you apply for a job there now??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bit of good news for Limerick after the Dell pull out, worked there for a few years in Dell and spent 6 great years in Limerick. My "2nd County" so have great grá for the place.

The infrastructure is there for many more jobs down there, Mr Noonan might deliver ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

phill106 wrote: »

Jeremy Kyle shouting at people on the dole and telling them to get jobs? Oh the irony. :)

This is good news for the city, definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

phill106 wrote: »

wanna bet:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Dell is opening it's global solutions centre here in limerick. These are high end engineering and service jobs. nothing to do with manufacturing at all. It's a major coup for the Limerick Campus to get this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Its better than sitting around, moneyless on the dole watching mind numbing daytime tv , and pulling your hair out trying to find a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Good news,will it be jobs for irish workers or will they be coming in from around the globe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

bigpink wrote: »
    Good news,will it be jobs for irish workers or will they be coming in from around the globe?

Any EU national or non-EU person with the correct Visa. Wouldn't it be against the law to offer the jobs to Irish workers only?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What constantly fails to get reported is that they are still letting people go. I met an guy I used to work with in Dell last week and he informed me that his department is being moved to somewhere in Asia, which means he and around 20 others and being made redundant in September. I've friends still working there who tell me they're constantly in fear of getting the tap on the shoulder.

Look, the investment and jobs that come of this are welcome but it doesn't take away from the fact that 1900 people were made redundant there, those same 1900 will struggle to fit the bill in terms of these new high end jobs.
    Most likely, recruits from other countries will have to be brought in to work here so Dell can avail of whatever was in it for them from IDA, 12.5% tax etc.

It is sad to see Enda making such a fuss about this. By Friday, the same amount of people will have lost their jobs elsewhere anyway and most likely in indigenous business here, not the MNC tax IDA relief whores.

It would be more in Ireland's interests if the Government concentrated whatever financial sweetners or assistance given to Dell for this into sorting out rates and credit flows etc for business that are going to be staying here.

While the jobs are welcome, I wouldn't be heralding Limerick's saviour from it.

irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

100 jobs are being made available

100 new people will get up every day to go to work

100 people will go to the shop on the way to work to buy a coffee the papaer and what ever else

100 people will buy lunch from somewhere(be it during their day or in adavnce thats still 100 lunchs every day)

100 people will refuel their cars

100 people will be paying tax

100 people will be spending money

and best of all 100 people will have a job

i cant see how people are giving out about this. of course its not exclusive to irish people(get your Xenophobia ideas out of your head. there is no place for tha atitude in the modern world). of course some people might have to come into the country to take these jobs but if people here are qualified they have the exact same right to go for the jobs.

the bigger picture is its not just 100 jobs. its how these 100 jobs keep so many more employed. so many more business's and people ar kept working by the interaction of these 100 people. the fact they are in high end employment is only better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I think most people would prefer lower skill jobs at the moment but long term its good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are plenty of people out there unemployed who are qualified to fill these highly skilled positions. Dell like most of their rivals are moving away from manufacturing their own products. That stuff is farmed out to the likes of China where labour is cheaper. Until the cost of living and minimum wage drops dramatically here then we will struggle to attract manufacturing type jobs here.

Anyway 100 jobs whether they be higher or lower skilled will still be 100 more positions available than there was yesterday which is good news.

• Advertisement

@ Icky,

I made it clear that the jobs are to be welcomed, yes.
    However, as others have pointed out, they are letting people go monthly, they have previously let go almost 2000 people and it is unlikely they will expand further. So 100 in the scheme of things isn't very significant.
    I sense these jobs were pulled in and forced by IDA and will be a while before net positivity comes from whatever incentives were given to Dell.

I am pointing out that it would be better if the government relaxed on doing the Dell PR departments' work for them and instead concentrated efforts on the domestic businesses that are here struggling i.e. correcting the rules around upward rents, lowering council rates, forcing the banks to open their credit books etc instead of guff about 100 or so jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

This is certainly good news, but I'm not giving the new Government any credit for it. I have been extremely critical of FF, practically no jobs since 1997.
    What the region really needs is new employers into the region. Then, and only then, will i say FG/Lab are serving the people well.

bigpink wrote: »
    I think most people would prefer lower skill jobs at the moment but long term its good
    definitly. i doubt many would disagree. but higher end jobs mean people will be on big wages and start buying clothes and stuff on a saturday walking around town or the cresent. people will start freely spending again which means small business's start getting busy.

by this one announcement it could mean a bright future for alot of people. shops get busy it means they need to hire more people to work. same for pubs resturaunts and so on.

may be just 100 jobs for now but it could mean alot more in the long term grand scheme of things.

if it was 200 ow end jobs it might seem better because more people would be employed but those people wouldnt be in a position to spend as freely as the high earners meaniong it wouldnt have as much of an effect.

the more high end jobs the better. it frees up low end jobs for everyon e else and it makes companies more willing to hire due to increased business.

but hopefully more low end jobs will come as well so we can all get back on track. at least there is a glimmer of hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

@ Icky,

However, as others have pointed out, they are letting people go monthly, they have previously let go almost 2000 people and it is unlikely they will expand further. So 100 in the scheme of things isn't very significant.
    I sense these jobs were pulled in and forced by IDA and will be a while before net positivity comes from whatever incentives were given to Dell.

I am pointing out that it would be better if the government relaxed on doing the Dell PR departments' work for them and instead concentrated efforts on the domestic businesses that are here struggling i.e. correcting the rules around upward rents, lowering council rates, forcing the banks to open their credit books etc instead of guff about 100 or so jobs.

Not True - you're only speculating.

@ Icky,

i think we all agree here that it would be better if the government didnt make such a big deal about it and try to claim all the glory for a couple of jobs. it is merely a drop in the ocean and i just hope its the start of the road to recovery.

yes your right thousands of jobs are still being lost. but those jobs where never concrete jobs. they where jobs that can go at any time. the jobs coming in are jobs that will be here for along time to come. they are jobs that are not just quarter to quarter contracts(i may be wrong but thats the impression i got).

you are also correct that we should focus on trying to get irish business up and running. but the important thing is that we dont rely on any one company employing 1000 people. id rather a hundred companies hire 100 people. if we rely oin one company like dell to employ the whole city again then we will be just asking for trouble.

we need lots of medium companies not 1 big one.

so yea it doesnt look as amazing if only 100 jobs are announced(i think its also spread between dublin and limerick). but if we get more "100 jobs announced" over the next year or so things will start to get brighter.

would it be better that 20,000 jobs where announced and then in 5 years time the comapny goes belly up and we have even more people on long term loans. big companies will just breath false security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Jeez Mystic Meg, any chance you'd sense the winning lotto numbers for the euromillions for me?

This is fantastic news. I know it's not great for people who were hoping for manufacturing jobs but for city overall it's great news. Generally it's harder to move high end jobs than manufacturing jobs.

We still need to find real and sustainable employment, preferably home grown, for those who were let go from the manufacturing jobs but this is still a great news story.

Jeez Mystic Meg, any chance you'd sense the winning lotto numbers for the euromillions for me?

This is fantastic news. I know it's not great for people who were hoping for manufacturing jobs but for city overall it's great news. Generally it's harder to move high end jobs than manufacturing jobs.

We still need to find real and sustainable employment, preferably home grown, for those who were let go from the manufacturing jobs but this is still a great news story.

Yes, we have been left behind over the last 15 years. As someone said, these people spend money in the restaurants/shops etc boosting the local economy. Take a look at Galway and the companies they got in over the last 15 years:

IBM
    SAP
    Boston Scientific
    Cisco
    Fidelity
    Hewlett Packard
    Tyco
    Medtronic
    Nortel.

Seems to me Limerick was boycotted by FF. Let's hope the new administration realise this, because so far they haven't done a lot to inspire confidence.

liammur wrote: »
    Yes, we have been left behind over the last 15 years. As someone said, these people spend money in the restaurants/shops etc boosting the local economy. Take a look at Galway and the companies they got in over the last 15 years:

IBM
    SAP
    Boston Scientific
    Cisco
    Fidelity
    Hewlett Packard
    Tyco
    Medtronic
    Nortel.

Seems to me Limerick was boycotted by FF. Let's hope the new administration realise this, because so far they haven't done a lot to inspire confidence.

Agree completely but I also think the current Government TD's are far more job focused than O'Dea ever was tbh. Happily the nightmare that was O'Dea's time in power is over. It's one of the great tragedies in Limerick's recent history that we (as a city) elected a very intelligent guy who simply couldn't turn his abilities from the most local of problems to what was needed by the entire midwest.

Agree completely but I also think the current Government TD's are far more job focused than O'Dea ever was tbh. Happily the nightmare that was O'Dea's time in power is over. It's one of the great tragedies in Limerick's recent history that we (as a city) elected a very intelligent guy who simply couldn't turn his abilities from the most local of problems to what was needed by the entire midwest.

I know we are gone off on a bit of a tangent,,,,but the how the hell is he very intelligent? He was no more than a local councillor getting into fights and squabbles imo.

• Advertisement

liammur wrote: »
    I know we are gone off on a bit of a tangent,,,,but the how the hell is he very intelligent? He was no more than a local councillor getting into fights and squabbles imo.

Qualified Accountant and qualified Barrister, lectured with UCD and UL. Sadly, O'Dea has brains alright, he just has no vision.

Advertisement