Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your SCII rig?

• 06-06-2011 8:07pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyone else plays SCII on?

I am looking to upgrade my laptop and am choosing based on the graphics card.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

For info my current laptop is a 3 year old Toshiba Equium L40-17M:
    Dual core Pentium 1.8Ghz, 2 GB RAM, with an onboard graphics card (Intel GMA X3100)that only gives me all settings on Low.

I'm not a big gamer but want to able to play SCII at proper settings, and be ready for any increase in specs for the next 2 releases. (Also Shogun 2 once they sort out the bugs) So aiming for a 512MB-1 GB disrete graphics card. Also has to be a laptop for portability,I only get to play when away with work.
    As an aside is 512MB graphics enough? Spotted a Toshiba A660 (i3 2.53Ghz, 4GB) with dedicated 512MB card for E780.
    I travel to the US quite often so have the option of purchasing over there handy enough.

Anyone use a Mac for SCII? Am in a mind to switch to the dark side (for editing photos)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I'm in the same boat of you, but fortunately I'm moving to Canada so will be able to get it for cheaper.

I was looking at quite a few you can get a decent 4GB RAM, i5/7 processors and 1GB graphics cards for <900$ (CAD) where I'm going but I also saw a good few on irish-based sites for around the same price (between 800-1,000€). I can't remember the names but hop on IRC and ask. Funky linked me a really good one for laptops.

Of course, there's always custompc.ie but I'd say jump on IRC and ask there because when I was in need of help I got some great websites (and I'm totally computer-ignorant in terms of hardware and gaming) which I'm using to help me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

I'm playing on ASUS G1s, old gaming laptop.

Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz, 3 GB Ram, GeForce 8600M GT. Ah, used to be top gaming computer, but now =\

I am playing on low graphic settings in windowed mode with browser\irc\some other **** on the background. Very very rarely in late game XvZ when there is a lot of creep\zerglings\broodlings I might lag a bit. Other than that pretty smooth.

I wanna get ASUS G73 SW now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

laptop's will never be as good as a desktop for gaming :(

my previous laptop ran sc2 perfectly however.

dell xps m1710
    core 2 duo @ 2.8ghz
    gtx 7950 (dual card)
    8gb ddr2 ram
    standard 5400rpm hdd

however, i now play on my desktop
    core i5 750 @ 3.2ghz
    hd 5770
    8gb ddr3 ram
    2 x 60gb SSD in raid

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭VikingErik

I've a 2 month old MSI GX660
    i5 2.67MHz
    4GB RAM
    HD5879 card (1024mb)

I'll probably upgrade as soon as warranty is up since there is a "void warranty" sticker preventing me from opening up my laptop and upgrading it straight away. It has space for a 2nd HDD and up to 12GB RAM.

It's running really smoothly at the moment (but with Win7 who knows how long that will last). Cost me around €1000

• Advertisement

I know this is Canadian but it gives you a good idea of what you can expect to get for the price (I believe this is really good value for what you get)

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=59630&vpn=N73SV-A1&manufacture=Others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Those with laptops.. the memory doesn't really matter, its not a gauge of how fast the graphics card is at all actually.

For instance you can have a 512mb graphics card that is much faster than a 2 gig graphics card.. its the graphics "processor" thats most important

Use this website to get comparisons etc
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-555M.41933.0.html

That notebookcheck website is brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Intel i7-930 3.2Ghz
    8Gb RAM - DDR3 1600
    2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 - 1024MB
    Asus P6X58D-E motherboard

rig cost me just under 1000 euro, got it last year. So far I haven't found a game that I cant run on extreme settings which the machine struggles on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you're interested in a desktop, pop over to us in B+U:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

I have a:
    Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.8GHz
    4GB RAM
    HD 6870

You could build something similar for under €500 (excluding windows) and it will take pretty much anything you throw at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Core 2 Duo E6850
    4GB DDR3
    GTX 460
    128GB SSD drive

Runs really well mostly on Ultra settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tenger wrote: »
    Anyone use a Mac for SCII? Am in a mind to switch to the dark side (for editing photos)

I played on a 2010 iMac i7 and had no problems whatsoever. Never tried it on my Macbook though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Those with laptops.. the memory doesn't really matter, its not a gauge of how fast the graphics card is at all actually.

For instance you can have a 512mb graphics card that is much faster than a 2 gig graphics card.. its the graphics "processor" thats most important
    Great link there. I was looking for a laptop with a discrete graphics card but the link lets me expand my search to some integrated cards. Still want to have 512mb as a minimum though.

Do you think it is necessary to look at 1GB cards when planning for the next 2-3 years of games (SCII expansions and Diablo III)

Was looking at the MacBook option but think the cost jump if just not worth it over a windows laptop when all I want is SCII and photos.

Great link there. I was looking for a laptop with a discrete graphics card but the link lets me expand my search to some integrated cards. Still want to have 512mb as a minimum though.

Do you think it is necessary to look at 1GB cards when planning for the next 2-3 years of games (SCII expansions and Diablo III)

Was looking at the MacBook option but think the cost jump if just not worth it over a windows laptop when all I want is SCII and photos.

Yes, I'd strongly suggest it. Not for performance but just for enjoyment purposes. D3 looks amazing so I'd say it would be worth dishing out a few more € in preparation for it.

I think the cost difference is serious if you're not set on having a Mac, though personally I must say I much prefer OSX over Windows for general day to day use. The best chip available on a Macbook right now is a 6750M 1GB which is a good card, so you're not screwing yourself going for the better 15" model of the Macbook Pro.

Definitely not cheap though, though I subscribe to the camp that cheap laptops are false economies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My current PC rig is:

i7 860 @4ghz
    8GB RAM
    3.3TB HD
    GTX 570
    Win 7 Ultimate

Soon to be laptop:
    i5 480 @ 2.66ghz
    4GB RAM
    500GB HD
    AMD 5650
    Win 7 Premium

Annnnd when its dead at work I play on:
    Pentium D 2.8ghz
    2GB RAM
    160GB HD
    9600 GT
    XP Pro

Check out this interview:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=203344&currentpage=11

(Video 2)

Here's the laptop in question:

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=58137&vpn=9S7-16F121-494&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar

IdrA does his gaming and streaming through that laptop.

I've decided to finally settle on a 15-inch laptop that will provide awesome performance.

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=60928&vpn=G53SW-A1&manufacture=ASUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Sony VAIO laptop, bout 6 years old by now :P

Windows XP Professional
    Intel(R) CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz
    2Gb of ram
    Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family - 128 Mb video :P

Yeah so everything is run at minimum settings, micro is hard, but its a step up frommy last desktop :( xD

I've decided to finally settle on a 15-inch laptop that will provide awesome performance.

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=60928&vpn=G53SW-A1&manufacture=ASUS

Separate keyboard and mouse or just separate mouse? Or, *shudder* trackpad? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

nesf wrote: »
    Separate keyboard and mouse or just separate mouse? Or, *shudder* trackpad? :p

I brought my mouse and keyboard with me ;)

I brought my mouse and keyboard with me ;)

What do you use out of interest?

Logitech K300 (keyboard)

Razer Mamba (mouse)

I'm going to replace the keyboard with either a Blackwidow (which I can't get hold of in Canada atm) or a Logitech G15 or something along those lines. The shops here are awesome for that stuff so will be doing a bit more research on the subject :)

Advertisement