Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freaking over English!!!

• 06-06-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

OK

Im freaking out at the moment.
    I spent my afternoon writing out stuff for Boland. Only.
    Im only starting Frost now and when I was writing about him, I realised I dont know him that well.
    These are the only poets ive attempted to study
    We didnt cover Dickinson at all.

Our repeat teacher messed us up badly for Paper 2.
    The reason this is all last minute is because I spend the last 3 days trying to write cultural context and theme and issue. And still, I feel they arent good enough.

Havent gotten a chance to go over my Single text. Was dedicating tomorrow morning to that and then, the afternoon to paper 1 and my short story.

Screwed.
    Can someone help me please? Im spending 3-4 hours writing notes and getting nowhere

I got a B3 in HL last year and if i get less, Im gonna be devastated and it'll hurt my points...

In tears here like....:(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    OK

Im freaking out at the moment.
    I spent my afternoon writing out stuff for Boland. Only.
    Im only starting Frost now and when I was writing about him, I realised I dont know him that well.
    These are the only poets ive attempted to study
    We didnt cover Dickinson at all.

Our repeat teacher messed us up badly for Paper 2.
    The reason this is all last minute is because I spend the last 3 days trying to write cultural context and theme and issue. And still, I feel they arent good enough.

Havent gotten a chance to go over my Single text. Was dedicating tomorrow morning to that and then, the afternoon to paper 1 and my short story.

Screwed.
    Can someone help me please? Im spending 3-4 hours writing notes and getting nowhere

I got a B3 in HL last year and if i get less, Im gonna be devastated and it'll hurt my points...

In tears here like....:(

If you got a B3 last yeat you will be sound!
    Stop wasting time writion out essays! pick exam q and just plan the ! Put down points on what you would say for each paragraph! Its to late to write out full anwsers!
    + u need to know at least 5 poets out of the one perscribed for this years exam! Im doing Dickenson, Frose,Riche,Boland and Kavanagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Locker10a wrote: »
    If you got a B3 last yeat you will be sound!
    Stop wasting time writion out essays! pick exam q and just plan the ! Put down points on what you would say for each paragraph! Its to late to write out full anwsers!
    + u need to know at least 5 poets out of the one perscribed for this years exam! Im doing Dickenson, Frose,Riche,Boland and Kavanagh!

Not so sure, I didnt practice alot this year due to lack of inspiration:P

Yeah, been wasting alot of time.

I just feel ive to learn off essays! :( Snapping! I have more notes than Ive had hot dinners in my lifetime!

Swear like, teachers think they can just throw notes at ya and hope for the best....

So overwhelmed:eek:

Should I study Dickinson new at this stage?

I read over her last week and thought she'd be someone id love to read.

Dunno though.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Should I study Dickinson new at this stage?

I read over her last week and thought she'd be someone id love to read.

Dunno though.....:(

Which poets have you actually done?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Is it really necessary to make a thread about everything like? Maybe there should be like a 'LC2010HIS General Questions Thread'.:rolleyes: Kinda getting annoying one person starting a new thread about small minor details in one subject.

/Rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Digits wrote: »
    Is it really necessary to make a thread about everything like? Maybe there should be like a 'LC2010HIS General Questions Thread'.:rolleyes: Kinda getting annoying one person starting a new thread about small minor details in one subject.

/Rant

If you've nothing to contribute don't bother posting. OP if I was you I wouldn't start covering a new poet at this stage.

Digits wrote: »

/Rant

Ah stop!

Hahahahahahaahha .... But i feel awkward asking them in threads. And i have alot of questions:D

Sorry haha

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Which poets have you actually done?

Boland..... just revising Frost now... *awkward silence*

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

You'll be grand if you got a b3 last year.

Seriously though stop freaking out about it, that will do far more harm than good, sounds like you're just stressing yourself out, just try focus and study.

Don't bother starting a new poet the exam is in 2 days, just go over what you already know.

What percentage is the perscribed poetry?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

12.5%. :)

12.5%. :)

Hmmmmmm.................................................................................................................................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

OP don't bother writing essays. Point format really is the way to go. If you write essays you'll think you need to remember every little detail which you don't.

I had an A4 page for each of the 3 poets I knew, a few important points and the corresponding quotes.

Main points and quotes is all you need. :)

Same for every other part of paper 2.

Except unseen poetry obviously :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You just did points for your answer? Surely you would have lost marks for flow and expression of ideas though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Not so sure, I didnt practice alot this year due to lack of inspiration:P

Yeah, been wasting alot of time.

I just feel ive to learn off essays! :( Snapping! I have more notes than Ive had hot dinners in my lifetime!

Swear like, teachers think they can just throw notes at ya and hope for the best....

So overwhelmed:eek:
    Dont learn off essays! Our english constantly told us this and we had an inspector who also said that they are twisting the questions more and more every year as they are trying to get away from people just learning things off and writing them down in the exam. Write your own essay you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You just did points for your answer? Surely you would have lost marks for flow and expression of ideas though?

No I meant I just studied the points to condense the amount of learning, then expanded a page of points into a 4-5 page essay on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

OP, go read Deemark's "how to survive English in the LC" thread.

And em ... mabbeh have a glance around for a releavant thread before starting a new one, eh? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement