Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else's hand killing them??

• 06-06-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭

Before anyone gets excited.. this is actually a serious question.. :D

The back of my hand is notorious for getting sore during exam times, and its already happening to me no.. must be from the **** load of notes and essays I'm writing out :D

Anyone else get this? Any way you can stop it? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Stop writing! :P

But on a more serious note it's probably mild carpel tunnel or something of the sorts ...... But i would try not do much writing tomorrow just invade it gets worse.......
    Mine does the same and it's really sore!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

from ? writing/****...for me its both :p ..**** clears the mind ,so i can write short stories .....duhhhhhhhh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Do a warm up... :-P
    Or you can try gripping your biro more loosely so you're not straining yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I used to hold my pen quite tightly when writing and started getting serious pain during my own LC. Relax your grip as much as you can, it might help. It worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Come thursday afternoon I know for certain my right hand will be in agony from paper 2, I can't wait until I get this english out of the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Its my shoulders

They keep seizing up and then i tooooo tired to keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

My hand actually gets swollen, and my neck and upper back become very painful. It's crippling when you're under pressure!:(

I've my 3 really heavy written exams in the first 2 days, English 1&2 and Home-ec. Lovely.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

_meehan_ wrote: »
    My hand actually gets swollen, and my neck and upper back become very painful. It's crippling when you're under pressure!:(

I've my 3 really heavy written exams in the first 2 days, English 1&2 and Home-ec. Lovely.:pac:

Same! Home Ec is actually terrible for writing - I thought it'd be fine, but I had about 1 minute to spare at the end for the Mock, and my hand was killing me; I had terrible wrist pains. I actually think it was worse than English Paper 1. Obviously nothing is worse than English Paper 2 though... I hold the pen really tightly, so my fingers basically start to lose circulation as well. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Not now but by the end of the English and History exams they probably will be.

I don't have a cure, just grin and bear it really. It can be quite painful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

I had to stop writing today, so basically gonna be reading as study for the rest of the day.. woohoo... :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Just putting a warning out there... not trying to scaremonger or whatever.

You'd REALLY want to be careful with your hands. I know last year or the year before there were many (many) girls in another school around here who couldn't do English paper 2 because they ended up with repetitive strain injury after doing English paper 1 and Home Ec.

Just keep taking breaks, wrist excercises and all that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Bear the pain!!!

(and grip a little less tightly)

yeah when im writing fast I actually lean so hard and hold the pen so tight :D
    Must make me feel like i'm writing faster or somethin :P
    I'll just rest it for the rest of the day, gonna ice it now.. no point studying and then not being able to do my 3 longest exams (English 1/2 + Geog) in a row :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

english might include alot of writing but HISTORY is worse you have to write a essays in 35 mins its pain

i actually think geography is worse. You literally have 10 minutes to write a page and a half x6, plus a 4 page essay :D timing's a bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When people get tense you might find yourself gritting your teeth and not realize it

Same here, you might be holding that pen far too tightly and not notice it.

Just do some stretches with your hands like you do hurling training on a frosty morning

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

biggaman wrote: »
    i actually think geography is worse. You literally have 10 minutes to write a page and a half x6, plus a 4 page essay :D timing's a bastard!

a write a four page essay :O the most i do is two n a half n got full marks in mocks with half a hour to spear too

that for geo or hist? serious goin either ways :O

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Dragonmanirl

I know the pain there, due to a woodwork accident in 5th year i have a massive scar on my left hand (im a lefty :P) right where the edge of my hand contacts the table and it gets immensely sore after about 10 mins, my advice is to get a pressure bandage from the pharmacy (about €4.99) and wrap the hand nice and tight gives it support and if it gets too much just take a break for a few mins :D hope the advice helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

biggaman wrote: »

How do you have time to write 4 pages? :eek: I also do 2 and a half.

But yeah timing.

Guess who's doing geography AND history? Oh yes. Very clever idea that was not. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I wrote 6 and half pages for my geoecology essay in the Geography exam, but I have large writing :eek:

Geography was definitely worse than both English papers in terms of writing in the time given. The timing is actually quite generous for English, in Geography it's ruthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

use Felt- tip pens rather than biro's - you won't lean as hard or clasp the pen as hard as a biro. It makes a real difference!

use Felt- tip pens rather than biro's - you won't lean as hard or clasp the pen as hard as a biro. It makes a real difference!

I see what you mean.. but I don't think I can write as fast if I use one of them?? :/ and I don't usually have enough time for geography especially so?

Thanks for the rest of the advice! I'm gonna wear a tubigrip band i think :D probably will do notyhing but sure anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm dreading tomorrow and Thursday. And the last Wednesday when Classics is on. I alternate pens between questions because I grip different pens in a different way. It helps a little.

I really am terrified about tomorrow. I think it's the two very intense papers in a day :(

Advertisement