Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple of questions about Irish HL aiste

• 06-06-2011 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey guys I have a couple of questions about the aiste.
    First, is it Ok to talk about your local area/ county? For example, I have a sentence:
    "Mar a dúirt mé cheana, bíonn cóiriúlacht ar siúl i ngach áit, ar fud an domhain: san Eoraip, in Éireann agus fiú amháin i gCorcaigh."
    Should I leave out the part about Cork?

Also, which of the following would be better to use?
    "Tugtar cóiriúlacht ar gach rud a dheanann daoina, a bhriseann an dlí."
    or
    "Is é cóiriúleacht ar gach rud a dheanann daoina, a bhriseann an dlí."
    And is there any mistakes in what I have written?

Thanks for any help guys, I would really appreciate it. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

For your first question I'd say it's fine, just make sure it makes sense in context. It might be better to say '...fiú amháin i m'áit chónaithe féin, i gCorcaigh' (even in my own home place, in Cork).

Are you trying to say 'crime is everything that people do that breaks the law'? If so, it should be 'tugtar coiriúlacht ar gach rud a dhéanann daoine a bhriseann an dlí'. Watch your spelling on 'daoine' and 'coiriúlacht'. In general it is a good idea to use the briathar saor (tugtar in that sentence).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

It might be better to stick in "i mo cheantar féin" or something along those lines, so it doesn't look like you're picking randomly on Cork.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

_meehan_ wrote: »
    It might be better to stick in "i mo cheantar féin" or something along those lines, so it doesn't look like you're picking randomly on Cork.

... may be a good idea.

Advertisement