Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to arrive in school for exams

• 06-06-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

We'e been told to be at school at 8:45 for English paper one on Wednesday. Is it really necessary to arrive this early as I'd prefer not to be waiting around and arrive at 9:15.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

For paper one yes. Well you have to be in the exam centre for 9:00 the first day and I would recommend been there at 8:45 so as to find where you are. You don't want to be running around in a fluster cause your late on the first day.

All other days you have to be in the exam centre for 9:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ggmad

We've already been told the rooms that we are in for our first exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

ggmad wrote: »
    We've already been told the rooms that we are in for our first exam

Ok just be there for 9 I suppose then. The reason you have to be early is because the supervisor must go through all
    The rules and stuff. It won't be like you will be able to talk to people anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

The Department states that for the first exam (English) you have to be in the exam centre at least half an hour before the exam starts. For all other exams it's 15 mins before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Be there 30 mins early on the first day. Your superintendent will be there and most people will be sitting in their seats by 9.15- 9.20. Your principal or teacher might be there too. In exams situations it's always better to be early than late. You never know what could happen on the day, traffic conditions etc. The worst start to an exam is running in, being out of breath and feeling ill at ease for the first while.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

the mentality of people on this forum is ridiculous xD Just show up for 9:25 like your supposed to! That is unless you enjoy awkward chit chat with the moron ****t1ng himself in the seat beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

We haven't been told what time to be there at! I'll try get there for 9/9.10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

soup1 wrote: »
    Just show up for 9:25 like your supposed to!

Seriously, do you think showing up 5 minutes before the first exam of the Leaving Cert is a good idea?

the mentality of people on this forum is ridiculous xD Just show up for 9:25 like your supposed to! That is unless you enjoy awkward chit chat with the moron ****t1ng himself in the seat beside you.

Ok, ignore the advice of someone who's sat their leaving cert and plenty of university exams. After all, you know best. :rolleyes:

While you're at it, ignore the advice of the state examinations commission. Sure what do they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

If you're relying on public transport to take you to school, LEAVE SOME EXTRA TIME. Imagine if your bus/luas broke down or something - you'd be panicking and worrying, and the stress would probably unsettle you for the start of the exam at least.

• Advertisement

"Candidates are required to be in attendance at the examination hall at least half an hour before the examination commences in the subject in which they first present themselves. On subsequent days they are required to be in attendance at least fifteen minutes before the hour stated in the timetable."

Taken directly from the Department's guidelines for candidates. In the same way you cant leave the exam for half an hour, you have to be there early too. It's a rule...nothing to do with anyones mentality. Go ahead and be the "hardy" person to show up five minutes before. You could be even cooler if you arrived late!

NotExactly wrote: »
    Seriously, do you think showing up 5 minutes before the first exam of the Leaving Cert is a good idea?
    I showed up half an hour early last year for English paper 1 - trust me - the last thing you will want before your first exam is some idiot beside you telling you they have a "tip" !

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I smell a troll.

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    "Candidates are required to be in attendance at the examination hall at least half an hour before the examination commences in the subject in which they first present themselves. On subsequent days they are required to be in attendance at least fifteen minutes before the hour stated in the timetable."

Taken directly from the Department's guidelines for candidates. In the same way you cant leave the exam for half an hour, you have to be there early too. It's a rule...nothing to do with anyones mentality. Go ahead and be the "hardy" person to show up five minutes before. You could be even cooler if you arrived late!
    They also tell you to be at the airport two an a half hours before a flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Did the state examinations commission tell you that?

Which is good advice considering they can't predict security queues. I once queued for almost two hours in Dublin.

Seriously, anything could happen. God forbid for some reason your number isn't on a desk or you can't find your seat... it's extremely rare but it could happen.

As for someone telling you they have a tip, ignore them. What can you do five minutes before an exam? If you have the preparation done then you have nothing to worry about!

AdamD wrote: »
    Did the state examinations commission tell you that?
    Yes they did - there will be no fooling you in these exams, thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yes they did - there will be no fooling you in these exams, thats for sure!

Good to see that they're branching out

So far you've referred to the people in the exam hall early as morons and idiots. I dont know, maybe you were superior to all those in your exam centre but unfortunately we all cant be like that. I'll take my chances on being there early. It's not going to do anyone any harm. If some "idiot" has a tip is there really much you can do about it in half an hour? I'd rank being early for the leaving cert as more important than being early for a flight. I've never had a flight that will directly affect my potential college place and future career.

lizt wrote: »
    Which is good advice considering they can't predict security queues. I once queued for almost two hours in Dublin.

Seriously, anything could happen. God forbid for some reason your number isn't on a desk or you can't find your seat... it's extremely rare but it could happen.

As for someone telling you they have a tip, ignore them. What can you do five minutes before an exam? If you have the preparation done then you have nothing to worry about!
    1) If your unable to find your seat, i don't think you should be sitting the leaving cert.
    2)I have a better chance of getting hit by a car on the way to so my exam than my number not being there but i dont wear a helmet walking dwon the street
    3)I think you need to realise the person next to you is in competition with you. Ignoring someone who could easily be trying to "physc" you out can be difficult
    4)Preparation is the key, but it all goes out the window if you let the fool beside you into your head!

• Advertisement

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    So far you've referred to the people in the exam hall early as morons and idiots. I dont know, maybe you were superior to all those in your exam centre but unfortunately we all cant be like that. I'll take my chances on being there early. It's not going to do anyone any harm. If some "idiot" has a tip is there really much you can do about it in half an hour? I'd rank being early for the leaving cert as more important than being early for a flight. I've never had a flight that will directly affect my potential college place and future career.
    Learn to argue with relevance! You might need it come Wednesday xD

1) If your unable to find your seat, i don't think you should be sitting the leaving cert.
    2)I have a better chance of getting hit by a car on the way to so my exam than my number not being there but i dont wear a helmet walking dwon the street
    3)I think you need to realise the person next to you is in competition with you. Ignoring someone who could easily be trying to "physc" you out can be difficult
    4)Preparation is the key, but it all goes out the window if you let the fool beside you into your head!

I have been involved with the set up for state exams. It's very easy for one number to slip through the net.

On the day of your exams you are likely to be nervous and you may not be able to see your seat even if it is right in front of you!!

As for someone next to you being in competition with you - someone would have to be pretty immature to "pysch" someone out. In my experience, everyone is anxious, no one is thinking "That person might do better than me so I better tell them that x y and z is going to come up to freak them out".

Bottom line, if you think you can handle it, show up five minutes before your exam. If you want to lessen the stress on yourself, show up the RECOMMENDED 30 minutes before your exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Relevance? Relevance to what? I'm pretty sure we're discussing the LC here, maybe you misclicked from your original thread and wound up here?

Yes we might be in competition with them but also with the thousands of other student around the country. If the people in your own year are that bad that they're trying to psych out one person out of those many students you should've went to a different school. When I go in I have one of my friends sitting to my right and someone who I don't really talk to that much on my left. I doubt either of them will try "get into my head." More than likely we'll wish each other luck and maybe speculate as to what we hope is coming up.

I'll get working on that straight away! :rolleyes:

Hypocrite much? Your previous post mentioned turning up early for a flight.

That was extremely relevant to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'll be there at 9 for the first exam, however after that, I'll turn up to school well in advance, but find somewhere, ALONE, to hide with my notes, so I don't have to deal with all my panicking friends, and enter the exam hall 5/10 minutes before the exam. I'm an easily panicked person, whether I'm prepared or not, so I have to make an effort to avoid the hype. It's likely I would under-perform otherwise.

lizt wrote: »
    Hypocrite much? Your previous post mentioned turning up early for a flight.

That was extremely relevant to this thread.
    Oh, it's called an analogy - Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar. Apologies for not clarifying that, you must be sitting the lower level paper.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I'll be there at 9 for the first exam, however after that, I'll turn up to school well in advance, but find somewhere, ALONE, to hide with my notes,.

I taught that said to hide my notes :p

• Advertisement

Oh, it's called an analogy - Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar. Apologies for not clarifying that, you must be sitting the lower level paper.

No need to act like a cnút!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement