Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone work as a classroom assistant?

• 06-06-2011 9:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Is there a minimum standard or did you have to have 3 rd level in that area?

I know a nurse but she is after getting a full time job as a assistant in a school

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Libra1

yes...
    all you need is junior cert.
    no cert/courses required.

most SNA's in our school are training to be teachers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Do you mean classroom assistant or special needs assistant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Classroom assistant

Mad country a nurse working in a school and i know a teacher working in a nursing home

That's mad alright. I don't think there's any minimum standard beyond the JC for a classroom assistant. I've never actually come across a classroom assistant, or heard of one in any schools I know, so I'm not too sure! There are probably people working in the position with different qualifications.

Well i was shoked to find out she had the job either no training in the teaching or child area plus no interest in the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

The facts of this case are very unclear.

Firstly, you say you are talking about somebody who has been appointed as a 'classroom assistant' in a school. Technically, there are no longer 'classroom assistants' appointed but 'Special Needs Assistants' (SNAs). In the days of Fás schemes, many people had work experience in schools as 'classroom assistants' but any appointments in recent years have been to assist schools in catering for pupils with special needs.

Secondly, you say this person has a job in a school. Is this 'job' full-time or part-time? Is it for a limited period (covering maternity or long/short-term sick leave) or is it permanent? Do you know?

Thirdly, what kind of school are you talking about? A private school? If so, then what you say might just be possible but I fear the money being earned would be very small indeed. Perhaps it's a primary/national school but if so, then as already mentioned, it would most likely be an SNA. Is it secondary?

I'm just not clear on any of this as there seems to be some confusion here.

Also, if the position is as an SNA, then it is incorrect to say that this person does not have (relevant) qualifications. You don't obviously know the inside track on the particular set of circumstances (nor would you be expected to).

It is most likely that in an SNA position, the reason the SNA is appointed is to support a child/children with medical issues or perhaps toileting support is required. In such circumstances, a nurse, who has obviously Leaving Cert standard of education and a nursing qualification, would be very suitable for such a position.

All i got from talking to her it was full time,not sure permanent/Temp,in a primary school.They mentioned working with a class of kids,how they were hyper,talked about there school tour,small talk like that.From that it seemed to be a regular class maybe im wrong but nothing about a single pupil

I just find it strange that a nurse just out of college 2 years got a job like that.Surely someone trained in teaching would be better and if as you suggest for a special needs child surely teachers should/can that extra bit to there c.v before applying for special needs teachers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

overmantle wrote: »
    Technically, there are no longer 'classroom assistants' appointed but 'Special Needs Assistants' (SNAs). In the days of Fás schemes, many people had work experience in schools as 'classroom assistants' but any appointments in recent years have been to assist schools in catering for pupils with special needs.

Primary Junior schools in DEIS disadvantaged areas that have 'Early Start' have a classroom assistant working with the teacher in each class. This may be the position referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Libra1

bigpink wrote: »
    All i got from talking to her it was full time,not sure permanent/Temp,in a primary school.They mentioned working with a class of kids,how they were hyper,talked about there school tour,small talk like that.From that it seemed to be a regular class maybe im wrong but nothing about a single pupil

I just find it strange that a nurse just out of college 2 years got a job like that.Surely someone trained in teaching would be better and if as you suggest for a special needs child surely teachers should/can that extra bit to there c.v before applying for special needs teachers

Assistant is just that.... assistant.. the teacher

I find it very normal that a nurse just out of college with a moratorium on posts in hospitals to apply as assistant.

bottom line is she is overqualified, so let her get on with it..

sounds like she's keeping her business to herself and the childs if you have no info..

• Advertisement

I have heard anecdotally (ie never actually came across anyone who experienced it personally) of individual BOMs paying for a classroom assistant for infants.

I can only dream of having one!!!!

E.T. wrote: »
    I have heard anecdotally (ie never actually came across anyone who experienced it personally) of individual BOMs paying for a classroom assistant for infants.

I can only dream of having one!!!!

I would imagine that if the Board of management was in a position to pay for the services of a classroom assistant, then the payment would be very small indeed.

Also, it seems that the OP (Bigpink) is missing the whole point of having a Special Needs Assistant helping a child in a school setting. Often, it is for a medical or toileting issue, for example. An SNA, works under the direction of the class teacher and principal and does not need teaching qualifications as an SNA does not work as a teacher. A nursing background would be very useful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chatterbox123

Seems to me there is a bit of begrudgery going on here by the op. What is the problem with a nurse getting a job as a classroom assistant or a special needs assistant? If she got a job working in the local supermarket would you also say she can't do that because she is a nurse? Perhaps she couldn't get a job as a nurse at the moment. I myself work as a special needs assistant and to be honest someone who has trained as a nurse could definitely do my job! What is your problem - is it that you wanted the job for yourself?

I just think its pointless having trained teachers not working thats all

In this day and age teacherss should be trained in areas of basic medical and toilet needs make them more flexible workforce for modern times

I know alot of people that are doing teaching in college so its a debate that came up.As an outsider to the profession just found it strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

In this day and age teacherss should be trained in areas of basic medical and toilet needs make them more flexible workforce for modern times

There is a surplus of trained teachers in the country with no jobs through no fault of their own.
    Not sure about idea about the toilet needs though, the teacher could be attending to one child in the toilet and the other 35 children in the class are left unsupervised. This is why SNAs are vital in a school.

And who do you think would supervise the other children while the teacher is out of the classroom inserting a catheter, or taking care of other "basic medical and toilet needs"? Will the 30+ others sit there quietly and behave themselves?

This isn't the only issue - for the dignity and privacy of a child with special needs, they should have access to someone other than the class teacher to perform these tasks. If you're talking about teachers working about SNAs because they don't have a teaching job - they could end up subbing in the same class the next week. It would be very unfair on a child to have an adult take care of their intimate care/toilet needs and then come into the classroom in an entirely different role the next week.

Your idea is a classic example of someone going through the school system as a pupil, but not having the foggiest idea how it works from an adult perspective. I won't list out the myriad non-teaching tasks that are already a day to day part of our inclusion in a "flexible workforce for modern times" because that's a different thread altogether. The fact that you don't realise we already do them really highlights the lack of knowledge of what a teacher actually does.

This thread shows that there is a significant lack of understanding about:
    (1). The role of an SNA
    (2). The status of employment of an SNA
    (3). The qualifications necessary to work as an SNA

In this case, we have no idea if the person concerned is permanent (Very, very unlikely), temporary (possible), substitute (more than likely). We have no idea (nor should we have) what the care needs of the pupils are in the particular school (many of these are sensitive and highly confidential situations). We do know the qualifications of the person are and if she is a qualified nurse, then she is well-qualified to work as an SNA. In the present climate, when SNA positions are being cut, right, left and centre for next September, it's highly unlikely, even if the position is not a substitute one, that this lady will be working longer than this week, in spite of her qualifications, as it's last in, first out.

Advertisement