Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pit Silage - Wet or Dry?

• 06-06-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I always thougth it best to cut your silage on a good sunny day when the sugar levels are highest in the grass and then try to get into the pit as dry as possible after that.

however, my neighbour reckons it needs a bit of rain for moisture as he reckons it perserves better in the pit.

what are the views.

second query on number of sheets to put on pit.

I always just go with 2 good sheets but I know if some that put up to 6 covers on.

is there any advantage of putting on extra covers. surely 2 good covers will seal just the same as 5 or 6??????????? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Cant say anything about the moisture as I mow for the contractor and I'm only ever about 2 hrs ahead of the Harvester so the grass does be slightly damp but not too bad!

As for the covers, 6 is complete overkill. We do all bales but the uncle has a clamp. He uses 3 covers, buys a new one every year and uses the other 2 from the 2 previous years but by the 3rd year the oldest cover is well wrecked so its only really protecting the second one from the tyres :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

The man that backs up the silage for our contractor always prefers it a bit damp to ultra dry. Says it rolls better ans seals better.
    When the stuff is too dry it seems to be springy and doesn't compact as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

max12 wrote: »
    my neighbour reckons it needs a bit of rain for moisture as he reckons it perserves better in the pit.

A bit of dampness is no harm at all to it IMO. Made our silage today. Was drizzly towards the evening. Lad on pit reckons it makes his job a bit easier. If it's too dry it doesn't bind together. Picked 2 hours after it was cut.

I think cutting date and sugar levels are more important for preserving pit silage than worrying about a little bit of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Muckit wrote: »
    A bit of dampness is no harm at all to it IMO. Made our silage today. Was drizzly towards the evening. Lad on pit reckons it makes his job a bit easier. If it's too dry it doesn't bind together. Picked 2 hours after it was cut.

I think cutting date and sugar levels are more important for preserving pit silage than worrying about a little bit of rain.

always best to cut silage on a good sunny day as sugar levels are highest. as muckit says, cutting it early is important and early grass is usually 'soft' so there is plenty of moisture in it anyway. a little rain is no harm but still much better to get it cut dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

dry silage will preserve better due to higher sugar levels, but too dry leaves pit face management difficult when feeding out. as dry matter percent increases a animal will consume less and save energy thus give better feed conversion to milk or beef.

• Advertisement
Advertisement