Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapid set cement or ready mix mortar??

• 06-06-2011 9:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I need to block up an old/redundant mechanical vent hole.Its a 4 inch wide round hole through the wall

I was wondering whats the handiest way to block it up

Fill the hole with a tub of rapid set cement or else use a small bag of ready mix mortar and a block or 2 cut down to a rough round shape to fit into the hole??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If you have a tube of expandable foam, spray some of this in the hole first, then you can trim back a couple of inches when it has set if need be, and then fill it with some sand and cement.

That's what I would do anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

paddy147 wrote: »
    I need to block up an old/redundant mechanical vent hole.Its a 4 inch wide round hole through the wall

I was wondering whats the handiest way to block it up

Fill the hole with a tub of rapid set cement or else use a small bag of ready mix mortar and a block or 2 cut down to a rough round shape to fit into the hole??

Thanks.:)

Yea the last one I done I was fitting a core vent in a much bigger hole in the wall. Just broke up some edging (type you'd put around the edges of a lawn) and set it in place with sand/cement (2:1 mix).

Doesn't hurt to wet the existing wall/block a bit, as you don't want the mortar drying too quickly at the join.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks,got it sorted now.

I managed to find a small off cut of a 4 inch soild block that was more or less a round shape and fitted the hole just nicely.

1 small 2kg bag of rapid set mortar mix from the local builders providers and the hole is now filled in.Oh and I wet down the vent hole,as advized.:)

Advertisement