Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety

• 06-06-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I don't want to make anyone else feel ill at ease so in advance sorry for posting this.

Well basically I have worked all year and a lot of things are fine but I keep thinking about the things I havent covered or the questions that could ruin my exam or not getting the points for the course I really want. Everyone is saying stay calm etc.... but that just makes it worse.

Are others feeling stressed or is it just me because everyone else I know seems to be doing 7 hours a day studying and are going to ace it. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I'm the same. I'm trying to tell myself that I'm overthinking. One minute I feel completely ready for it and the next minute I'm in tears because I think I haven't got anything done. :rolleyes:The sooner the better these exams are over with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I've been studying hard since 10 a.m! And when I say studying hard I mean having boards up on the computer in front of me, making and drinking copious amounts of tea, watching a couple of T.V programmes and playing music for a while. :p Don't worry about what other people are doing. As you can see, you dont always know what they're really doing! And yes, questions can come up that will throw you but it's the same for anyone. I don't know anyone who can say they're 100% prepared for any question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

samapp wrote: »
    Hi,

I don't want to make anyone else feel ill at ease so in advance sorry for posting this.

Well basically I have worked all year and a lot of things are fine but I keep thinking about the things I havent covered or the questions that could ruin my exam or not getting the points for the course I really want. Everyone is saying stay calm etc.... but that just makes it worse.

Are others feeling stressed or is it just me because everyone else I know seems to be doing 7 hours a day studying and are going to ace it. :confused:

Everyone is nervous, if you have to get a certain amount of points for a course and you know you aren't going to be a 600 pointer then yeah the nerves are natural.

I get sick with nerves, the headaches, feeling sick and generally tired the whole time? My parents have told me to work through it, just keep studying and don't give in to the nerves. I listen some days, others I just let the nerves get the best of me, which at this stage, it's important you don't get bogged down with nerves!

I don't know how you study, I started about 2/3 weeks ago (I know it's not long, but I did listen in class and always do homework), some days I manage 6-7 hours, and others I manage an hour and 20 minutes (like today :( )

Important thing is, don't compare yourself to your friends! Your friends are telling you they are studying 7 hours a day, it's probably because they are trying to cram information into their head and probably only half goes in!

I recommend, you stop thinking about what you haven't done, look at what you know, knowing something well is better than knowing everything half-assed. If there is a topic, say for example you didn't know any poetry for english paper 2, then I suggest you look over that, things that you don't know which will mean you won't be able to answer a whole mandatory Q or section on the paper, then of course, go over it. But if it is just because you don't know the whole course and don't have a lot of option in the exam but you can still answer the necessary amounts of questions, just go over the stuff you have already studied.

Stop comparing and thinking about what others are doing, study the things that will just cover you, at this stage. Work to a time table, or a plan of some sort, it helps! Eat well, sleep, exercise etc etc! Everyone says it, because it is the best we to keep your mind at ease (well as much as possible).

Best of luck with the Leaving! :)

Remember everyone is in the same boat, everyone is scared about what they haven't done but try and change the attitude and look at what you have done, I'm sure you've done more than you think!

P.S sorry about the essay :p

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

samapp wrote: »
    Hi,

If your friends are calling you up and telling you they're working 7 hours a day at this stage they're probably jsut insecure and need some reassurance (Much like most people on this forum right now) :D

I can't speak from experience but you've basically said you have everything covereed and are just worrying because the exams are so close. All I can say is it could be worse. What if you were trying to tie up entire courses now?

For me, I kind of share your fears, I feel like I should be doing 7+ hours a day but I barely manage 2/3/4. I've just been in a pissed off mood most of the week. Spent friday and Saturday drinking quietly in the sitting room watching movies ('Man on fire' is awesome) and now I'm just bored with study :( But to be honest I think that's just because of English. English is the only subject that I can't spend extended periods of time doing because at the moment it's just rote learning, and writing stuff out as fast as I can. I often get bored and give up half way through an essay - but with sciences and maths etc I culd spend an entire day just writing and revising.

... Not sure how that last paragraph hels you or anybody for that matter, but whatever! It's out there! :)

Edit: Quadruple ninja!
    Gavarn wrote: »
    P.S sorry about the essay

I think everyone is activating essay mode in a desperate attempt to improve their section B skills : )

Damn, I feel kind of happy about everything now. I wish I could go into paper 1 like this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

problem-in-life-blog.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Vote one for stress relief thread! Not hurting anybody :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

pockets3d wrote: »
    problem-in-life-blog.jpg

I like that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 arboroia

I'm found it hard to sleep last night, going through every essay for hamlet, ideas for the composition :(

But the leaving cert isn't the end of everything:
    substitute.png

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

and dinosaurs are?
    now I'm really anxious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

pockets3d wrote: »
    and dinosaurs are?
    I think it may have been meant as a little de-stressing humour.

I suspect we're safe from 'raptors at least until the next Dr. Who series / Tardis explosion! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Please, this should make it easier.

The disasterous ideas that you have created in your head should you not live up to your own demands will not occur, not even in the slightest. I can assure you.

If you dont get the course, so what? Another year - is - NOTHING.

Sadly, its only after the leaving cert that EVERYONE realizes just what the f*ck was that all about!?!?

Read up on the statistics of the amount of people who actually get their course and DROP OUT before the year is out.

Read up on the amount of people that actually fail their 1st college year and have to repeat - by that time you'll have probably finished your own year of either repeating/PLC/taking a year out cuz....

For the last 14 years you have been getting up when you were told, doing what you were told, told what is right, what is wrong, what you need to know, whats not important, how you life will be a so called mess if you dont go to college, when you can go for lunch, when you can sit down, how you cant talk because you are authorized not to do so, how you've tried to impress you peers, how you didnt get laid enough, how you had to do all these subjects or your life is over, how its the big bad world of work and success and that if you go to college it will be somehow all grand, believing that science and engineering and business and accounting are what the world REALLY REALLY needs right now, how you are conditioned to not be expressive, to keep your mouth shut, to not question but to just swallow...basically, you were in a military that totally over ruled your own will.

Reclaim yourself a bit, you probably dont know it now but you probably need more than a year out. Chances are you are tired of the ****. Chances are you wanna get the hell away from the stress and the so called dream of college and more exams and all that other institution bullsh*it.

I know people who got their course, got the job and hate their lives. College wont garauntee you happiness. All these prospectus books, pamphlets from DCU etc give them a read, go ahead. Do you feel inspired by the course content or by the the smiling faces on the cover and the idea of mid week drinking sessions and getting the wear. It was the latter for me. Of course, if you see something that you truly wana do go for it.
    But do some serious thinkin as to why you want to do this. If its not something you truly wanna do then dont. The hardest part about life can be regret and years arent something you can get back.

Right down 10 things you enjoy about life. See if the CAO can match them.

You are not responsible to anyone but yourself. Learn this cuz you're now an adult. The world is in a complete jocker and we are taught that these institutions are for a better world, you do the math. Dont buy the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

guitarzero wrote: »
    Please, this should make it easier.

The disasterous ideas that you have created in your head should you not live up to your own demands will not occur, not even in the slightest. I can assure you.

If you dont get the course, so what? Another year - is - NOTHING.

Sadly, its only after the leaving cert that EVERYONE realizes just what the f*ck was that all about!?!?

Read up on the statistics of the amount of people who actually get their course and DROP OUT before the year is out.

Read up on the amount of people that actually fail their 1st college year and have to repeat - by that time you'll have probably finished your own year of either repeating/PLC/taking a year out cuz....

For the last 14 years you have been getting up when you were told, doing what you were told, told what is right, what is wrong, what you need to know, whats not important, how you life will be a so called mess if you dont go to college, when you can go for lunch, when you can sit down, how you cant talk because you are authorized not to do so, how you've tried to impress you peers, how you didnt get laid enough, how you had to do all these subjects or your life is over, how its the big bad world of work and success and that if you go to college it will be somehow all grand, believing that science and engineering and business and accounting are what the world REALLY REALLY needs right now, how you are conditioned to not be expressive, to keep your mouth shut, to not question but to just swallow...basically, you were in a military that totally over ruled your own will.

Reclaim yourself a bit, you probably dont know it now but you probably need more than a year out. Chances are you are tired of the ****. Chances are you wanna get the hell away from the stress and the so called dream of college and more exams and all that other institution bullsh*it.

I know people who got their course, got the job and hate their lives. College wont garauntee you happiness. All these prospectus books, pamphlets from DCU etc give them a read, go ahead. Do you feel inspired by the course content or by the the smiling faces on the cover and the idea of mid week drinking sessions and getting the wear. It was the latter for me. Of course, if you see something that you truly wana do go for it.
    But do some serious thinkin as to why you want to do this. If its not something you truly wanna do then dont. The hardest part about life can be regret and years arent something you can get back.

Right down 10 things you enjoy about life. See if the CAO can match them.

You are not responsible to anyone but yourself. Learn this cuz you're now an adult. The world is in a complete jocker and we are taught that these institutions are for a better world, you do the math. Dont buy the hype.

would have made a sweet grad speech :) < slow applause ......leading to thunderous clapping>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm worried myself and keep worrying about coming up I don't know. Then freaking out about the exam before it starts worrying about things. And if I don't make the points.
    Then my exam yesterday went awful and I was relying on that for points , getting really stressed over this leaving cert now. I even started looking up repeating the leaving . After calculating what result I'd get and calculate completely freaked me out.

An then I started studying late as it is most people started around christmas , others only around easter like me. Just stressing over it all now :(.

Advertisement