Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two questions on ww2

Options
  • 06-06-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

I wonder can anybody answer these questions for me 1. What happened to the bodies of these executed after the Nuremburg trials? and 2. Did the Irish embassy in Berlin stay open for the entire length of WW2?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I believe the remains were cremated and ashes scattered in the river Isar in Munich.

Re the embassy I read an article about that a few months back, I think it could have been confidential papers released at the start of the new year. I can't recall exactly, but I believe they were bombed by the RAF at one point, or at least the premises in berlin were bomb damaged in some way.

I believe they remained until the end of the war (open to correction on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Did it stay open? The ambassador till 1939 was Charles Bewley, of the Bewleys Cafe family. He was withdrawn in 1939 from Berlin by DeValera who didnt like Bewleys anti-semetic utterances.
    I cannot find who would have been the envoy after this, i.e. during the war?

Advertisement