Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Cork City Forum quieter than others?

Options
  • 06-06-2011 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I mean if you compare this sub-forum to others (e.g. various Dublin ones) we are much quieter, but yet we have a massive population. I think the Cork City forum needs a virtual baby boom - who agrees?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

some people use the proc forums i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

I'm putting myself forward to help Cork with the baby boom:):)
    The things i do for my city!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

tommy21 wrote: »
    I mean if you compare this sub-forum to others (e.g. various Dublin ones) we are much quieter, but yet we have a massive population. I think the Cork City forum needs a virtual baby boom - who agrees?!

Too busy watching Come Dine With Me Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

PROC. You can say what you want on that, which for local issues is far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I'd say we have a few double agents on here alright ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's much simpler that that, us Corkonians are a new step in the evolution of the Irish. Unlike outsiders, we don't feel the need to verbalise every thought that comes into our minds, only the ones which have value. It's the quality, not quantity that counts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

It's much simpler that that, us Corkonians are a new step in the evolution of the Irish. Unlike outsiders, we don't feel the need to verbalise every thought that comes into our minds, only the ones which have value. It's the quality, not quantity that counts :pac:

I agree. Many of us prefer to read but don't necessarily contribute to each and every thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

PROC. You can say what you want on that, which for local issues is far better.
    A funny farm which lacks any sort of visible mods and admin which can only lead to lunacy and repetition of old threads and grudges on the site. It also seems to only have a core posting group of between 10-15 posters with about a half dozen handles each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

we have a massive population.

I think I've seen a sketch with you in it.

Skip to 3:50

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Show Time wrote: »
    A funny farm which lacks any sort of visible mods and admin which can only lead to lunacy and repetition of old threads and grudges on the site. It also seems to only have a core posting group of between 10-15 posters with about a half dozen handles each.

All of this is true, but it still has far more traffic than this forum.

• Advertisement

God you may be right but that clip just reminded me how much I despise Andrew Maxwell as a comedian!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

It used to be a lot busier as people used to write on it in work. But my understatanding is that a lot of employers have stopped access to internet or certain areas of the internet to cut costs. So that affects our poor little office boardsies! :)
    I only can log on when I am off work as I work 12 hour days and am too tired and lazy to care to log on after work! :D:p

Cadyboo wrote: »
    It used to be a lot busier as people used to write on it in work. But my understatanding is that a lot of employers have stopped access to internet or certain areas of the internet to cut costs. So that affects our poor little office boardsies! :)
    I only can log on when I am off work as I work 12 hour days and am too tired and lazy to care to log on after work! :D:p

Jesus, 12 hours a day?! Is that legal? What area do you work in broadly, if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cork tends to have its own media infrastructure for this kind of thing and I would say the People's Republic of Cork forums fulfill that purpose.

PROC, Evening Echo, Examiner, 96fm, 103fm, RedFM.

I don't know why Cork doesn't have proper local television too, other than Channel South. I'm sure RTE Cork could pull a sizable audience, given there are UK BBC regions not much bigger.

RTE Cork/South/Munster, covering munster would give an audience not much smaller than BBC NI.

RTE Cork Local Radio was on air for years, and was basically hampered by the fact that it was only on air in Cork City centre on 89.2fm. If it had been broadened out to cover the whole county / region it might have had a chance of viability.

Jesus, 12 hours a day?! Is that legal? What area do you work in broadly, if you don't mind me asking?

Its shift work, not 5, 12 hour days..:p Sorry if it sounded like that.
    3 days a week, or 3 nights, 4 days off. Love it!!:D

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Its shift work, not 5, 12 hour days..:p Sorry if it sounded like that.
    3 days a week, or 3 nights, 4 days off. Love it!!:D

Ah I get you - still fairly hefty but you can't beat extended days off either!

It also seems to only have a core posting group of between 10-15 posters .

A few more than here so really.

Ah I get you - still fairly hefty but you can't beat extended days off either!

I did shift work for my first job out of college, 12 hour nights and days, loved it. Have been on Mon to Fri the last 6 years, I defo preferred shift work. It's fine once you have no bother sleeping during the day when on nights.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I did shift work for my first job out of college, 12 hour nights and days, loved it. Have been on Mon to Fri the last 6 years, I defo preferred shift work. It's fine once you have no bother sleeping during the day when on nights.

Yeah, have no bother sleeping. Sleep better during the day, when its not sunny of course. Lucky I live here really.:p

RoverJames wrote: »
    It has been nearly ten years since i did shift work and after coming off five years of working nights it was a case of never again for me.:)

• Advertisement

I have just seen the above post on peoplesrepublicofcork:P

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Great site without it the INTERNET would be nothing.You can say what's on you're mind and the sports forum is the best sports forum on the INTERNET.There's no power hungry mods and the people that couldn't stand the heat over there just end up as embittered wrecks on here.:)

Great site without it the INTERNET would be nothing.You can say what's on you're mind and the sports forum is the best sports forum on the INTERNET.There's no power hungry mods and the people that couldn't stand the heat over there just end up as embittered wrecks on here.:)
    I post on the sports forum infrequently. The posters in that part of the world seem to be a few points above the average IQ then the rest of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

There must be other reasons. I access the Dublin, Cork & Waterford boards regularly. If anything the Waterford forum is busier than the (pretty busy) Dublin City forum. The level of posting/debate is reasonably good across all the fora.

I'm not sure the PROC crowd would be inclined to post here (horses for courses) if their forum disappeared so there must be other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

It's because whenever a Dublin post appears outside of the Dublin forum we are very quick to point it back. However we can post where ever the hell we want.

Used be busier before I think.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Guys/Gals please read the charter with regards discussions on PROC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

There was what I thought was a great topic started not so long ago, on 'ghost' signs http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72067532

The equivalent Dublin topic presently has 418 posts and counting. The Cork one had no response. Now I know that Corkonians are very proud of their city, its history, culture etc and rightly so. It's a great city/county. So it can't be that Dublin folk are more interested.

Is it that, for some reason, a lesser number of Corkonians access Boards? Maybe the supermods have access to the stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Owen wrote: »

EXACTLY!
    I personally even think we have too much spam in here lol:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If this thread has taught me anything it's this....

I fúcking HATE Andrew Maxwell!! :mad:

Advertisement