Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about 6 y.o. setter-appetite/behaviour

• 06-06-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

We have a 6 year old red setter, who in the last week has been very sluggish and stiff in his movements, and also has been eating very little recently.

He is clearly struggling when he tries to get up, and when we bring him for walks, he is very reluctant and moves very slowly, whereas before this he'd run miles ahead of us.
    He hasn't eaten anything substantial in nearly a fortnight, apart from a few bites now and again.
    We got a 4-day supply of arthiritis pills for him, as it was suggested to us that this might be the problem, but he hasn't improved.
    Apologies, I know this is all kind of vague information, but if anyone has any ideas to offer as to what is wrong, I'd appreciate it. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

We have a 6 year old red setter, who in the last week has been very sluggish and stiff in his movements, and also has been eating very little recently.

He is clearly struggling when he tries to get up, and when we bring him for walks, he is very reluctant and moves very slowly, whereas before this he'd run miles ahead of us.
    He hasn't eaten anything substantial in nearly a fortnight, apart from a few bites now and again.
    We got a 4-day supply of arthiritis pills for him, as it was suggested to us that this might be the problem, but he hasn't improved.
    Apologies, I know this is all kind of vague information, but if anyone has any ideas to offer as to what is wrong, I'd appreciate it. :)

This is going to sound harsh, but get that dog to a vet. He is clearly not well and needs medical help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Teddy_Picker, I have to assume you're skint and suffering from the recession, because it's a frickin complete disgrace that your dog has been in pain and off its food for two solid weeks and you haven't taken it to the vet.

On the basis that you're skint, can you tell us where you're based? With more information about your location, people can suggest subsidised veterinary services in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Teddy_Picker

Okay, thanks for the replies-the vet it is then! :eek: I'll pass the word on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If he hasn't eaten much in a fortnight I would be worried about him losing a lot of weight. Did you get the arthritis tablets from a vet? Has a vet seen him yet? I would get him back to a vet as he does sound to be in a lot of pain which may or may not be due to arthritis. X-rays will be able to tell you if it is arthritis.

If it was a vet that gave you the arthritis tablets 4 days does not sound like a lot of time to notice a difference, I would think he would need them for at least a week or 2 to notice any real change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

6 in a setter could be borderline onset arthritis alright, but not bad enough to be suffering the symptoms you describe. Yes, vets can be expensive but id be bringing him ASAP after 2 weeks of the symptoms you describe. It honestly could be a myriad of things. Hes basically "middle aged" so in a zone where its impossible to discuss whats wrong without doing the basic medical tests first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement