Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl wine

• 06-06-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭

Lidl advertise wine at times with points indicating the quality i.e. 86 = very good, 90+ = excellent; always give the name and year of the wine.
    I recently noticed that when I went to buy some of this excellent wine there, that the wine advertised wasn't available, but one of a different year was sitting under the big advert for the good one. This inferior wine was priced the same as the good one...

Prob not doing anything illegal but surely its at the least very sneaky..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Limited stock sold out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Firblog wrote: »
    Lidl advertise wine at times with points indicating the quality i.e. 86 = very good, 90+ = excellent; always give the name and year of the wine.
    I recently noticed that when I went to buy some of this excellent wine there, that the wine advertised wasn't available, but one of a different year was sitting under the big advert for the good one. This inferior wine was priced the same as the good one...

Prob not doing anything illegal but surely its at the least very sneaky..

Under the 'scanning code' thing, if it has the same barcode they are covered, if not it should have a separate sign with a description and price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

fair enough on wines in the €15 +++ bracket, but I don't think the year makes a huge difference to mass produced wines in stores like lidl.

Many are perfectly drinkable and excellent for the price, but some are truly awful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

maxer68 wrote: »
    fair enough on wines in the €15 +++ bracket, but I don't think the year makes a huge difference to mass produced wines in stores like lidl.

Many are perfectly drinkable and excellent for the price, but some are truly awful too.

Bit of a bait and switch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

If you want to complain about a rip off then complain that these wines cost 5.99 in Ireland but cost 1.99 or 2.29 in Lidl in Germany.

Their German whites are generally very good coming from the vinyards near by in the sunny south eastern states of Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Firblog

Bit of a bait and switch though.

My point exactly, much as if Curry's advertised T.V as Full HD, but then had T.V that was from same manufacturer under the same ad, an I bought it i'd be fairly annoyed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Or like a budget airline selling fares at knock-down prices, only you rarely manage to get one because all 5 seats were snapped up hours ago?

Afaik, as a chain they're permitted to advertise products which are not necessarily available in all stores. There's usually a 'subject to availability' clause which let's them off nicely.

Advertisement