Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireshark question

• 06-06-2011 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

I was using wireshark and looking at my network. i saw passwords to my email addresses. Does that mean if someone next door had wireshark they could see my passwords? I have WPA2 PSK ssid is broadcast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If they were on your network and using Wireshark they could see any and everything you could see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

If they were on your network and using Wireshark they could see any and everything you could see.
    but if not on my network they cannot?
    and if my network was not protected they could with Wireshark ?

edit should have said my network is wireless. Am i right that if they were in range with wireshark they could see my data but it would be encrypted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Resend wrote: »
    but if not on my network they cannot?
    and if my network was not protected they could with Wireshark ?

edit should have said my network is wireless. Am i right that if they were in range with wireshark they could see my data but it would be encrypted?

Yes. They would need your PSK. If it's a complex password you're save
    Does your email provider not support SSL? (Like say Gmail)

Yes. They would need your PSK. If it's a complex password you're save
    Does your email provider not support SSL? (Like say Gmail)
    assume no. does that mean they could see my passwords even with my wpa psk?
    It is only a hypothetical situation i am trying to understand

Normal traffic within your wireless network/lan will be in the clear, but only to the devices connected to it (be it wireless or wired)

The wireless devices will use the WPA2 encryption to to talk to the router, so that traffic is encrypted to prying eyes. (from device to router)

Once the traffic leaves the router to your ISP, it's unencrypted....only your ISP can see it until it hits 'the internet'

So to answer you question, anyone sniffing the wireless on your router would only see encrypted jibberish. With a nice complex password it would take years to brute force it.

A password like _R3s3nd_2011 would take 1.74 hundred billion centuries to crack.

Just make sure your password is not the default one and change it to something complex.

• Advertisement

Normal traffic within your wireless network/lan will be in the clear, but only to the devices connected to it (be it wireless or wired)

The wireless devices will use the WPA2 encryption to to talk to the router, so that traffic is encrypted to prying eyes. (from device to router)

Once the traffic leaves the router to your ISP, it's unencrypted....only your ISP can see it until it hits 'the internet'

So to answer you question, anyone sniffing the wireless on your router would only see encrypted jibberish. With a nice complex password it would take years to brute force it.

A password like _R3s3nd_2011 would take 1.74 hundred billion centuries to crack.

Just make sure your password is not the default one and change it to something complex.
    it is complex but how can i see my pasword with wireshark? is it cos it is ob my pc on my network? thanks for the help;)

it is complex but how can i see my pasword with wireshark? is it cos it is ob my pc on my network? thanks for the help;)

The passwords to your email provider are being sent in the clear from the sounds of it. You'd likely see same results if you plugged directly into the router (ruling out WPA2 as you wouldn't be using it)

Who is your email provider?

I know Gmail and Hotmail support SSL.
    The connection to your PC and the email server is encrypted from point to point, regardless of the underlying network setup if SSL is used.

The passwords to your email provider are being sent in the clear from the sounds of it. You'd likely see same results if you plugged directly into the router (ruling out WPA2 as you wouldn't be using it)

Who is your email provider?

I know Gmail and Hotmail support SSL.
    The connection to your PC and the email server is encrypted from point to point, regardless of the underlying network setup if SSL is used.
    but could someone outside the network see it with wireshark
    i am with eircom and win mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If they are not joined to your network or cannot crack your password, they can't see anything.

but could someone outside the network see it with wireshark

No would be the quick answer. Only you and you're ISP
    i am with eircom and win mail

https://secure.eircom.net/email

That's using SSL there (https)

Not sure if you can configure WinMail to access it securely too. One for someone who uses Eircom mail I guess :)

• Advertisement

If they are not joined to your network or cannot crack your password, they can't see anything.
    but can't they use a sniffer from out side the network? i can see mac addreses on lans near me with inssider

Advertisement