Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to add an extra subject?

• 06-06-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

hey!
    just wondering is it too late to register to do another subject for the leaving :D
    like say you just wanted to try an ordinary subject and see how you do in it..

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

xclw wrote: »
    hey!
    just wondering is it too late to register to do another subject for the leaving :D
    like say you just wanted to try an ordinary subject and see how you do in it..

cheers

That sounds fun. :D I have no idea what the answer is, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I doubt it. I'd say Spurious knows though. What subject is it and when did you take it up? just want to know out of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

I know a guy who took up applied maths on the day a few years ago. Ask the inspector on Wednesday.

Although personally I think you're nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I'd expect it's too late. You should have gotten a statement with your subjects on it in the post. As far as I know they're the only subjects you can sit and receive a result in. Could be wrong though! I just think I remember hearing that.

Framble wrote: »
    I know a guy who took up applied maths on the day a few years ago. .

:eek: How did he get on?

• Advertisement

He passed! Like a D2 or D3... so not great but sure, why not....

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i was thinking of doing biology and seeing how i'd do i have the day before off so i could cram loads the day before. i don't do a science subject so i was gonna see if i could try get an OD3 in it :P

Framble wrote: »
    He passed! Like a D2 or D3... so not great but sure, why not....

did he just have to ask the examiner could he sit the exam or do you have to ring someone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I was also thinking of doing OL Business for the craic

i was thinking of doing biology and seeing how i'd do i have the day before off so i could cram loads the day before. i don't do a science subject so i was gonna see if i could try get an OD3 in it :P

There's not meant to be a huge gap between ordinary and higher level so you'd want to be good at crammin':D, but it would be great if you got an OD3 and ended up using it as a requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Even if you can do it (which I doubt you can), I wouldn't recommend it. You're probably not going to do well in it, and if you ever need your results for a job interview or something in the future it's not going to look good if you have all honours and an OL D3 dragging the rest of the results down

did he just have to ask the examiner could he sit the exam or do you have to ring someone? :)

Haha, sorry, I don't know, he's my sister's friend who I don't really know that well. But good luck!

NotExactly wrote: »
    There's not meant to be a huge gap between ordinary and higher level so you'd want to be good at crammin':D, but it would be great if you got an OD3 and ended up using it as a requirement.

crammin' - the only way i know how to study :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Taking it up on the day? I don't think it'd work...

You have to pay for the paper. If you don't pay (as far as I know) you CAN still sit the exam but you don't get the result back. Or something like that? Or you can't use the result. I'm not sure.

will i ring the exam commissions tomorrow and ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Why not just do the paper at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Why not just do the paper at home?
    What good is that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It depends on whether the subject is being sat by candidates in your school already and whether there is a practical/project element.

If there is a project/practical element it causes a lot of hassle, so in that case, the superintendent may say no.

If it is already being taken in your school, there will probably be some extra papers and the superintendent has a special form to report students who attended unexpectedly. Tell your local Examinations Secretary of your plans as soon as possible.

If the subject is not being taken in your school it is unlikely you will be allowed sit it as budgets will have been drawn up re superintendents, attendants etc..

As usual with these things, it's when it starts happening on a large scale that they end up saying no, but one extra candidate for a single element exam they can cope with.

Advertisement