Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping to Ordinary Level French?

• 06-06-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I do higher level French and have never been good at it! I got a B3 in the mocks (no oral) and was really surprised BUT the comprehension was very easy and in general the whole thing was marked easily. I did terribly in the (real) oral.

I just did the 2010 ordinary level paper there and got about 90% in it (didn't do the aural).

Should I drop in the hope of an A1 or A2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I do higher level French and have never been good at it! I got a B3 in the mocks (no oral) and was really surprised BUT the comprehension was very easy and in general the whole thing was marked easily. I did terribly in the (real) oral.

I just did the 2010 ordinary level paper there and got about 90% in it (didn't do the aural).

Should I drop in the hope of an A1 or A2?

Short answer: no WAY. That is all :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No... if you got a B3 in the mocks (Even easily marked) you should stick with HL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I honestly don't think I can get above a D1 if I do higher level. If you asked me to write a written piece right now I would fail miserably! I am good (low B standard) at the aural and comprehension but the oral and written pieces will bring me down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Are you sure you're allowed switch levels for French/Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Are you sure you're allowed switch levels for French/Irish?

Yup. The orals are marked the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Ordinary level french is simple i finished my mock in 30 minutes in the mock and got a b3. The tape is simple, the comprehensions are easy and the written pieces are easy.
    So if your good at comprehensions and tape you will do very good in ol french.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

I honestly don't think I can get above a D1 if I do higher level. If you asked me to write a written piece right now I would fail miserably! I am good (low B standard) at the aural and comprehension but the oral and written pieces will bring me down!

Most people find the aural and the comprehensions the hardest!

Stick with higher, and over this weekend, learn about 5-6 phrases for each of the reaction topics.

Make sure you know the general phrases "Je pense que" "A mon avis" etc etc

And know some Journal Intime phrases, it is easy!

Make it all personal! They give more marks to students who make the question personal!

Also, say what you know! Not what you want to say!

Don't spend Tuesday night trying to cram in as much vocab, instead, look over the tenses and learn the etre verbs, as you go into exam, before reading the paper, write down the stems, endings for the tenses.

You'll be grand, don't be fooling yourself and saying that you won't be able to get over a D1!

Best of luck, hope this helped somehow! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will kick yourself if you see the Higher and it is do-able.
    B3 means you're well able for HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭samapp

Hi

Don't drop down as you will probably do better than you think.

Go over the basic tenses. 2xPast, present, future and conditional is just future stem with the imperfect endings.

Do a listening and just see what you get. Even if its low you must get some marks. And learn the style of comprehension questions and you'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

I wouldn't drop down if you're able to pass higher, but if you do, ordinary is quite simple :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

I'm a French teacher - you'd be mad to drop, in my opinion. Bonne chance!

Advertisement