Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What To Do

Options
  • 06-06-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys,
    arrived in sligo earlier for a weeks break and im wondering what to do. im going out tomorrow morning with an open mind so what's good to do in sligo town?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Yeats statue beside the bank across from Glasshouse hotel.
    Kate's kitchen on Castle Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 smily10

A walk around one of the many woods, go to strandhill, theres loads to do.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1k4uK1vjzI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Yeats statue beside the bank across from Glasshouse hotel.
    Kate's kitchen on Castle Street

actually, is there an aib in sligo, i need to get to one:o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

There is indeed. On Stephen Street.

If you dont know it imagine your standing on the bridge infront of the Glass House. With your back to it turn to your left. Keep walking straight on, Ulster Bank will be on your left by Yeats Statue, BOI and an internet cafe will be on your right, then AIB is on your left just past the Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Yeah, there is one on stephens street in town, it's opposite feehily florists.

A few of my friends are coming to sligo at the weekend and we are going to go to strandhill and get a surfing lesson. The group we booked it with are charging €30 per person for a 3 hour lesson. I've only been once before, and it was in bundoran, but it really is a good day's fun.

You could head out to glencar waterfall, it's about a 15 minute drive from town.

Rosses point is nice for a walk around.

There's a cookery school / restaurant at the end of o'connell street, just across from the O2 shop, next to 4 lanterns.

You could go for a round of golf in strandhill or rosses point (I'm sure members of the public can use the facilities...right??)

The belfry / embassy rooms have lots of pool tables and a couple of snooker tables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

.Check out Knocknarea ,Dooney rock,Doorly park(just follow the river east only 5 mins walk from town)Strandhill,Rosses point,Glencar,Lissadel(mental block at the minute will post more later

This is fun. Just for the craic go there.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~gillighansworld/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

This is fun. Just for the craic go there.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~gillighansworld/index.htm

Is that still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

admiral post more baout what you might like to do. and if you have transport etc. as your name suggest nautical activities any amount of deep sea fishing, sailing, diving, kayaking, surfing etc,
    see here for more info http://www.adventuresligo.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There's this place which is great:
    http://www.sligogolfacademy.com/

Also:
    http://eaglesflying.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Here's something below you could check out, I've never done it but I believe it's class.

http://www.roseofinnisfree.com/

magnumlady wrote: »
    Is that still open?

I dunno. Haven't been there in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I dunno. Haven't been there in years.

What is it?

Ya Strandhill is a nice course if you're into golf. Think it's about twenty quid the green fees.

The surfing is excellent too.Lots of pubs and restaurants down there too.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    What is it?

Ya Strandhill is a nice course if you're into golf. Think it's about twenty quid the green fees.

The surfing is excellent too.Lots of pubs and restaurants down there too.

A place where Leprechauns live. They have little teacups and teabags and stuff scattered around the forest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Haha I never heard of that.Where about is/was it?

It gives directions on the site there I think. It was just a big auld foresty garden with a load of green themed things. Some man with a beard used to sit in a cabin at the entrance and take your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

If u have a pair of wellies head west from sligo for knocknarea instead of leaving glen road for knocknarea carpark keep to road for almost 1 mile till u come layby on left park here and walk down road for couple hundred metres and the in old gates to left. You are now in the glen, allow about an hour to walk through and hop accross 2 fields to lane which brings u up to glen road again. Not advisable on wet day.

my god hargodans on o connell street is a fine pub. going there again for the music on friday night. had dinner in poppadom as well, was lovely

my god hargodans on o connell street is a fine pub. going there again for the music on friday night. had dinner in poppadom as well, was lovely

The food in hargadons is excellent if u going there anyways, and reasonable too

waterboy15 wrote: »
    The food in hargadons is excellent if u going there anyways, and reasonable too

yeah was in there again today, had the house burger. it was amazing. ill be there again tomorrow. i was in the arigna mines today, would i be right in presuming there was hail and a massive downpour in sligo around 5-ish? when i got back there was some amount of water on the roads

going to strandhill and rosses point early tomorrow

• Advertisement

If u in strandhill and feeling energatic walk through sanddunes keeping to right of golf course u come onto cullenamore beach where u can keep right along beach and round headland all the way back to strandhill and then a well deserved drink in the strand bar.
    harrys bar in rosses might be good for a bite havent eaten there in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Someone give the Admiral directions to 'The Magic Road'. It will blow his mind! I was there once but cannot for the life of me remember where it is. All I can remember is there's a right turn off the Bundoran Rd near Grange.

Oh and if you are still around Sligo on Sunday there's an excellent session in McGarrigles every Sunday evening.

If you have walking boots, and a camera, head to the top of Knocknerea. Some great views of the place from up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Someone give the Admiral directions to 'The Magic Road'. It will blow his mind! I was there once but cannot for the life of me remember where it is. All I can remember is there's a right turn off the Bundoran Rd near Grange.

Oh and if you are still around Sligo on Sunday there's an excellent session in McGarrigles every Sunday evening.

Oh yes, I've heard of that but never been, if someone knows where it is please post, I'd love to visit it too.

+1 on the Sunday eve music in McGarrigles but with Templehouse on this weekend it might not be on so maybe check before hand.

where does a good brekkie? i had a lovely all day breakfast in the rooftop resteraunt on wednesday and ill be heading out early tomorrow

heading off to hargodans now for the music, if any boardsies are around im wearing a batman t shirt and i look like peter kay (so im told):D

where does a good brekkie? i had a lovely all day breakfast in the rooftop resteraunt on wednesday and ill be heading out early tomorrow

Pepper Ally do a good breakie, down on Roackwood Parade accross from the Garavouge. Although dont think theres is all day. Have heard the cafe at the bottom of the Pearse Rd near Pure Night club and another one beside Paddy Powers on High St also do a good one.

Conrad Gallagher has a restaurant in the Niland Gallery if that interests you or if you like art and stuff.

Climb Benbulben.

Go and look at Mountbatten's Castle. You won't get in though, it's private property.

Here's something below you could check out, I've never done it but I believe it's class.

http://www.roseofinnisfree.com/

Having done this tour on 3 occasions over the years i can definately recommend it, although its been about 5 years since i was last out, really nice on a warm summers evening drinking a cool pint.

• Advertisement

waterboy15 wrote: »
    Having done this tour on 3 occasions over the years i can definately recommend it, although its been about 5 years since i was last out, really nice on a warm summers evening drinking a cool pint.

i rang him on tuesday night to book the tour, he was very rude on the phone and wouldnt take the booking because there is only 3 of us

Advertisement