Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roman Catholic Subforum/Moderation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm not a frequent user of Christianity forum but I would have thought that a Christianity forum on an Irish site would be heavily biased towards RC anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are some rather - unhealthy? - undertones to the arguments for a RC forum here, it sounds very much like people wanting to just reinforce the rightness of their beliefs rather than have an enquiring or investigatory discussion.

On the other hand if they want to discuss minutea of doctrine, start a discussion on that and report (and ignore) any post that generalises and goes off topic. You do not have to be a RC to understand or be affected by doctrine. Or could they not just put 'RC replies only please' on the discussion?

As to the 'new forum' forum, there have been requests in there since before last October and nothing has happened, so it is not an anti-Catholic plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

biko wrote: »
    I'm not a frequent user of Christianity forum but I would have thought that a Christianity forum on an Irish site would be heavily biased towards RC anyway?

You would expect that in a country claiming to be 80-90% catholic wouldn't you?

It is perhaps one of the best pieces of evidence that most Irish Catholics are not real Catholics.

Even going to mass doesn't actually mean you're a real Catholic. You might have little to no belief and just be going for the social interaction.

Regarding the forum, I can somewhat sympathise with the Catholics. The forum has always been quite Protestant/Evangelical. End of the day that entire movement was created with particular emphasis on protesting the church of Rome.

That's not an attack on the Christianity mods, PDN is one of the most reasonable posters on the site. Just I can see how the RCs might feel victimised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Op if it's private and I have a question about Catholicism where do I, an atheist, post?

Also does it not concern you that the eventual mods of a christian sub-forum do not like the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sharrow wrote: »
    But it has been a year from then ...
    Beruthiel's final post in that thread was end Feb 2011. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

looksee wrote: »
    There are some rather - unhealthy? - undertones to the arguments for a RC forum here, it sounds very much like people wanting to just reinforce the rightness of their beliefs rather than have an enquiring or investigatory discussion.

On the other hand if they want to discuss minutea of doctrine, start a discussion on that and report (and ignore) any post that generalises and goes off topic. You do not have to be a RC to understand or be affected by doctrine. Or could they not just put 'RC replies only please' on the discussion?

As to the 'new forum' forum, there have been requests in there since before last October and nothing has happened, so it is not an anti-Catholic plot.

Let me answer your points.

I have no difficulty in discussing/interacting with fellow Christians in relation to subject matter that is common to the various strands of Christian belief and practice.
    But it is futile and dishonest to suggest that Roman Catholicism is the same as
    any of the Protestant denominations in terms of doctrine etc.
    Sure there are areas where there is commonality but this is dwarfed by what makes each strand of belief distinct.

While I'm happy to engage in general discussions concerning issues like Ecumenism with fellow Christian members, there are plenty of issues that are RC specific which I would like to engage with my fellow RC members in a separate forum on Boards.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Op if it's private and I have a question about Catholicism where do I, an atheist, post?

Also does it not concern you that the eventual mods of a christian sub-forum do not like the idea.

What the moderators may think of our idea is beside the point.
    The fact of the matter is that they're moderators on a Christianity forumnot a RC forum/subforum.

I think PDN and Craddock do a good job in terms of moderating a Christianity Forum.
    But it is clear from my direct messages to Craddock that he/she cannot countenance the issue of a RC subforum being operated on Boards.
    (I can't speak for PDN because he/she has not discussed the issue with me).

I've asked the site owners to consider our request for a RC forum anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Did they not already consider (and reject) the idea?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

hinault wrote: »
    It has become apparent over the past few weeks and months

No. It hasn't. You are not the first to bring this up and as sure as night follows day, you won't be the last.
    The request was rejected last time.
    It is rejected now.
    there is demand for this subforum which would allow RC members to discuss issues important to them.

As I've said many times already, The Christianity Forum is where RC members can discuss what is import to them.
    there are plenty of issues that are RC specific which I would like to engage with my fellow RC members in a separate forum on Boards.

Just so we are clear, this site is here for everyone, no matter what religion they are, or aren't.
    If a thread is set up on a given subject, all members of this site are entitled to enter into the discussion, no matter what religion they are.
    We would never exclude someone from discussing a RC specific subject if they were of a different religion, or none at all.
    You are on the wrong site if you think for one second that we would ever go down that road.
    I've asked the site owners to consider our request for a RC forum anyhow

The site owners don't make those decisions, the Admins do.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Let me answer your points.

I have no difficulty in discussing/interacting with fellow Christians in relation to subject matter that is common to the various strands of Christian belief and practice.
    But it is futile and dishonest to suggest that Roman Catholicism is the same as
    any of the Protestant denominations in terms of doctrine etc.
    Sure there are areas where there is commonality but this is dwarfed by what makes each strand of belief distinct.

While I'm happy to engage in general discussions concerning issues like Ecumenism with fellow Christian members, there are plenty of issues that are RC specific which I would like to engage with my fellow RC members in a separate forum on Boards.

you can talk to your fellow RC members about RC specific topics in the Christianity forum. The only reason I can see for a sub-forum is to shut out people who might not share your opinion.

Will posters have to pass a "How Roman Catholic are you?" test to post? I'm guessing that some posters would actually want to decide if the proposed Catholic mod is Catholic enough for their liking.

Why wouldn't you just prefix a thread with RC only to indicate you want a RC discussion in the Christianity?

I'm not a fan of the sub-forum idea, and I'm even less of a fan for a mod quota system as it would, in my eyes, devalue the worth of mods. Could you imagine the amount of crap the forum and probably feedback would have to put with? The mod would be viewed as being appointed for being a Catholic, not on the basis of being a good mod.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

-Chris- wrote: »
    Did they not already consider (and reject) the idea?

Not that I'm aware of.

I contacted them yesterday to try to get some movement on this issue.

Not that I'm aware of.

They rejected it already, and you have actually posted in the thread, so I'm not sure how you missed the decision earlier this year.:confused:

koth wrote: »
    you can talk to your fellow RC members about RC specific topics in the Christianity forum. The only reason I can see for a sub-forum is to shut out people who might not share your opinion.

Obviously where people hold different beliefs, there is bound to be differences.
    The Christianity forum is littered with threads where opposing views are expressed.

Why wouldn't you just prefix a thread with RC only to indicate you want a RC discussion in the Christianity?

This has been tried in the Christianity forum but unfortunately threads where it has been tried almost always end up getting derailed/trolled.:mad:

I'm not a fan of the sub-forum idea, and I'm even less of a fan for a mod quota system as it would, in my eyes, devalue the worth of mods. Could you imagine the amount of crap the forum and probably feedback would have to put with? The mod would be viewed as being appointed for being a Catholic, not on the basis of being a good mod.

This is a reasonable point that you make I think.
    I'm not sure that a RC moderator would be a requirement if there was a subforum for RC's.

Within the Christianity forum, several RC want to see a RC moderator appointed.
    Personally I think a subforum would do away with the requirement of appointing a RC moderator.
    But that's just my opinion.

Not that I'm aware of.

This was asked and answered just a couple of months ago.

The OP is aware of this as s/he was involved in the thread.

Perhaps this contributed to the Christianity mods exhibiting less than saintly patience with what appears to be a small group of posters who think that if they stamp their foot often enough they will get their own way?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Already considered and rejected.

This just seems like an extension of the "start 8 threads in the hope of bullying/frustrating the mods into making a decision". You're just going to keep asking and asking until you get your way.

Rejected recently, referenced several times in this thread, original thread posted in by you, still you claim to not be aware of it.

:confused:

I can assure you, that will never happen.

We do not appoint Moderators on this site because they follow a certain religion.

We chose Moderators for this site as follows:
    They are deemed by the Admins to be the best choice for the intended forum.

Obviously where people hold different beliefs, there is bound to be differences.
    The Christianity forum is littered with threads where opposing views are expressed.
    correct, that's the nature of a discussion forum :)

This has been tried in the Christianity forum but unfortunately threads where it has been tried almost always end up getting derailed/trolled.:mad:

the report button is your friend ;)

This is a reasonable point that you make I think.
    I'm not sure that a RC moderator would be a requirement if there was a subforum for RC's.

Personally I think a subforum would do away with the requirement of appointing a RC moderator.
    But that's just my opinion.

But what would make it distinct from the Christianity forum? So far it sounds like you need a private forum/social group.

They rejected it already, and you have actually posted in the thread, so I'm not sure how you missed the decision earlier this year.:confused:

It was rejected a year ago, koth.

I'm not sure what your point is? Because it was rejected a year ago, that decision must remain in perpetuity?

I'm not sure what your point is? Because it was rejected a year ago, that decision must remain in perpetuity?

It was rejected Feb of this year.

and no, a decision need not remain in perpetuity, but so far this thread is the same arguments that were made in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, but you must be able to demonstrate what has changed between then and now that would justify reversing the decision.

Simply asking for it every so often won't result in it suddenly happening. it's not a lottery.

Nope, it was rejected in February, less than 4 months ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70779341&postcount=160

This has also already been covered in this thread.

• Advertisement

correct, that's the nature of a discussion forum :)

the report button is your friend ;)

But what would make it distinct from the Christianity forum? So far it sounds like you need a private forum/social group.

What makes it distinct is that it would be RC forum and not a more general Christianity forum.
    There is a difference you know!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What makes it distinct is that it would be RC forum and not a more general Christianity forum.
    The actual question here is, In what way does using the Christianity forum restrict your ability to discuss issues relating to Catholicism, that would be solved by a publically-open Catholic subforum?

I'm aware of that, but you haven't demonstrated how the 2 forums would differ in what would or wouldn't be tolerated in the RC forum.

I binned that thread in February. Four months ago.

Now I have addressed your issues in this thread and from what I have seen so far, no new or valid reason has been given that would have me for one second even think your suggestion is in any way a good idea.

Nope, it was rejected in February, less than 4 months ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70779341&postcount=160

This has also already been covered in this thread.

The Request for a subforum was registered nearly one year ago
    (28th June 2010), Chris.

(28th June 2010), Chris.

are you saying they rejected it on day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

(28th June 2010), Chris.
    But rejected in February 2011.

(28th June 2010), Chris.

FFS, the request was rejected in February after several months/pages of discussion.
    Everyone can see that, it's blatantly obvious.

Trying to so obviously twist the facts in your favour and thereby change history, does a disservice to your argument and shows scant respect for the other posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

FFS, the request was rejected in February after several months/pages of discussion.
    Everyone can see that, it's blatantly obvious.

Trying to so obviously twist the facts in your favour and thereby change history, does a disservice to your argument and shows scant respect for the other posters here.
    Exactly. It's nearly as bad as stamping their e-feet and starting multiple threads about it in the Christianity forum yesterday.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    The actual question here is, In what way does using the Christianity forum restrict your ability to discuss issues relating to Catholicism, that would be solved by a publically-open Catholic subforum?

There are several.

First of all, prefix for threads asking for RC views only in the Christianity Forum appear to be ignored by the respondees.
    I'll grant you that it is impossible to police who can/can't respond to a post on an open forum but in a restricted forum, there can be restricted access.

Second as a RC, it would be great to be able to discuss issues here on Boards with my fellow RC's in a designated area of Boards.

Third within the Christianity forum, several threads have become little more than slagging matches between the proponents of different Protestant denomination and their RC counterparts.
    The result of which the moderators had to create a combined thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056276995
    The OP clearly shows that there was deliberate goading on both sides of the theological divide.
    To remove the need for the overworked moderators at Christianity, a separate RC forum would help the moderators in their workload and it would allows RC's to discuss issues with likeminded posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement