Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

misses eavan boland??

• 06-06-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

if she does come up the chances are the question will be a toughie :(
    mythological seems to be what people are expecting to come up
    out of the poems i have dont of hers the only one that adheres to this theme is "this moment"
    problem or not ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Jaze if anything to do with "mythology" comes up on her she's out the window for me! :L

I'm guessing you'd have to know a good bit of background on mythology & that?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

same but i am expecting a hard question

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I don't think they'll ask about mythology. It's too specific, everyones studied different poems by her so they have to make sure there's a question for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I think mythology would be a nice question. It's very obvious in This Moment, Love, and Child of Our Time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

Pomegranate is the best example of mythology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I think mythology would be a nice question. It's very obvious in This Moment, Love, and Child of Our Time.
    "Love" definitely but the other two?

love....maybe
    this moment....yes
    child of our time...hardly

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Jaze if anything to do with "mythology" comes up on her she's out the window for me! :L

You made me LOL :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

ak4 wrote: »
    love....maybe
    this moment....yes

In Child of Our Time, she refers to legends and tales! In this poem, mythology is seen as essential to teach and to entertain them. Instead of hearing these tales, the child is dead.

love....maybe
    this moment....yes
    Am I missing something here? :confused:

Love has a pretty clear and obvious allusion to Homer's Odyssey.
    The Pomegranate mentions the myth of Ceres and Persephone.

But as for This Moment, I can't see how it is in any way related to mythology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I think we're more likely to get a question about how she uses history/the past in her poems to show the message she trying to communicate. It could be used for more of her poems. As I said before Myth is far too specific to be asked!

nommm wrote: »
    I think we're more likely to get a question about how she uses history/the past in her poems to show the message she trying to communicate. It could be used for more of her poems. As I said before Myth is far too specific to be asked!

if its anything to do with history comes up.........Screaming F*CK YEAH! in an exam everytime you come across a question you actually know the answer to. is what il be doing :P

Sorry about the confusion! I'm half asleep...I meant to write down Outside History, not Child of Our Time, but someone else mentioned a way of bringing it into Child of Our Time, and I'd say it's perfectly viable.

In This Moment, the image of the apple can be considered mythical allusion. It's linked with the loss of innocence etc...according to my teacher of course!

Sorry about the confusion! I'm half asleep...I meant to write down Outside History, not Child of Our Time, but someone else mentioned a way of bringing it into Child of Our Time, and I'd say it's perfectly viable.

In This Moment, the image of the apple can be considered mythical allusion. It's linked with the loss of innocence etc...according to my teacher of course!

yeee the apple can be used for adam and eve my teacher said but ud hardly get a page or so outta that :/

yeee the apple can be used for adam and eve my teacher said but ud hardly get a page or so outta that :/
    That's really stretching it a bit far. The apple in the story of Adam and Eve was what made them lose their innocence. You couldn't really use it as a symbol for innocence which is what the poem is about.

Not only that but i'd argue that the "Apples sweeten in the dark" line is just there to add cinematic effect to the domestic scene. The poem is all about imagery.

That's really stretching it a bit far. The apple in the story of Adam and Eve was what made them lose their innocence. You couldn't really use it as a symbol for innocence which is what the poem is about.

Not only that but i'd argue that the "Apples sweeten in the dark" line is just there to add cinematic effect to the domestic scene. The poem is all about imagery.

there is innocence in that the actual moment is a mother embracing her child

there is innocence in that the actual moment is a mother embracing her child
    I didn't say otherwise. There is innocence yes but there is no evidence to suggest the poem is about loss of innocence.

And the image is a timeless universal one i.e. mythological

Every poem doesn't have to fit in exactly with the essay question. Just because This Moment doesn't 'fit', doesn't mean you should leave it out; you just refer to any mythological allusions (or lack thereof) in the poem in your discussion and move onto the next poem, where you can discuss mythology in more detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

White Hawthorn in the West of Ireland???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

This moment is really streching it. Pommengranate and love are where I'd be looking at. This moment doesn't really connect with mythology in any way according to the notes we got anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

The uncut fruit in The Pomegranate is a sex object. She did not want to eat the fruit but left it at her bedside. The rebellious child is becoming an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

nommm wrote: »
    I don't think they'll ask about mythology. It's too specific, everyones studied different poems by her so they have to make sure there's a question for everyone.

No they don't. They can ask whatever they please..

My guess would be either a question on the mythological ideas or domestic images..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rockycoolness22

Domestic Images would be a dream..

Say if a mythological question came up could you say something like

"Boland features mythological imagery (or whatever) in plenty of her poems but she also features images of war, domestic life"

that way you could kind of fit everything into the one question?
    Or would that be stretching it a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Domestic Images would be a dream..

Say if a mythological question came up could you say something like

"Boland features mythological imagery (or whatever) in plenty of her poems but she also features images of war, domestic life"

that way you could kind of fit everything into the one question?
    Or would that be stretching it a bit?

I'd say it'd be stretching it way too far! :(

You could disagree completely with it having mythological imagery and go on to say *why*, stating that in reality it's the opposite and consists of banal imagery consistent with that of many other poets..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rockycoolness22

Yes thats what I thought, just wanted to see what y'all thought.

Thats a good idea about disagreeing with it, Im so slow today never even thought of that thank you!

Ye are all on about 'stretching it', that's exactly what you have to do! As long as you refer to the title in your question, you'll get the marks, even if it's in the negative e.g. Unlike "The Pomegranate" "The War Horse" does not deal with any specific mythology, it concentrates on the land's memory of the past.... You don't just have to refer to the poems that have 'mythology' obviously stamped across them. She deals with personal memories (self-mythologising) and the past always being present. This past is so distant and unclear that to many of us, it may as well be myth.

Anyway, most of the HL questions tend to be two-parters e.g. mythology and domesticity. Just make sure your refer to each part in each paragraph to get your coding - in this case M and D.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BillabongMad

If Mythology came up could you try compare it with the other images? Say how the myth of whatever in this poem strengthens the overall image of War/whatever? holy **** I need to go revise mythology, thank god I saw this today D:

You could get a little paragraph out of it. You don't have to write a page about all your poems.

We covered it in class so that we could use it. Boland makes a mythical allusion to the apple, which is symbolic of change and loss of innocence. Just like "apples sweeten," the child will eventually lose their innocence and unvarnished trust. The change will be so gradual, and "in the dark," however, that the mother will not consciously feel the transition of time, as she is experiencing it. This heightens the significance of these fleeting moments, as she does not know when they will stop.

You can make a case for anything as long as you have a feasible argument for it. Everyone has a different take on poetry, so what you might think is wrong, another will think is right. It's all subjective.

If Mythology came up could you try compare it with the other images? Say how the myth of whatever in this poem strengthens the overall image of War/whatever? holy **** I need to go revise mythology, thank god I saw this today D:

Of course you can, as long as you refer to the title given on the day. I doubt you need to revise it, you know the poems where it is obvious, you just need to write in an extra line or two to make it relevant to the other poems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

What ever happened to the simple , "Write a personal respone to the poetry of......"
    People seem to be putting way to much time into poets. How many people have spent this much time perfecting their language in the composition that's worth 100 marks ???

Advertisement