Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

misses eavan boland??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    What ever happened to the simple , "Write a personal respone to the poetry of......"
    People seem to be putting way to much time into poets. How many people have spent this much time perfecting their language in the composition that's worth 100 marks ???

Those questions were used when the course was new. Now that it's well-established and settled down, the questions have become more specific.

You're right though, people spent waaaaaaay too much time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Wouldn't a question on mythology just completely exclude "the war horse", "child of our time" and "famine road" :eek:

I can't see mythology coming up, who started this rumour in the first place?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

higgz wrote: »
    Wouldn't a question on mythology just completely exclude "the war horse", "child of our time" and "famine road" :eek:

I can't see mythology coming up, who started this rumour in the first place?????

The <nice people> in examcraft who decided to put it on our pre paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

What ever happened to the simple , "Write a personal respone to the poetry of......"
    People seem to be putting way to much time into poets. How many people have spent this much time perfecting their language in the composition that's worth 100 marks ???

out of the four poets there only bes one personal response

If you read through this thread, you'd see that I've been saying that you don't just leave out poems because they don't 'fit'. You have to discuss the poem and refer to the title, even if you're saying that mythology is not an obvious theme in the poem.

Mythology is one of her themes, but as I've said before, I doubt it will come up on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

They're anticipating a hard Boland question because too many people are solely relying on her to get them through, and ignoring the other poets.

there 3 of my poems to so if it comes up am foooked

Cydoniac wrote: »
    They're anticipating a hard Boland question because too many people are solely relying on her to get them through, and ignoring the other poets.

i agreee and am one of them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

The <nice people> in examcraft who decided to put it on our pre paper.

My teacher had been saying that mythology could feature as part of a question. It probably wouldn't come up by itself, but it could come up in a question about universal themes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 moviequoter

If the mythology question on Eavan Boland comes up, here are the poems that feature it:

Child of our time - Very mildly, but she does say "Tales to distract, leends to protect". You can at least mention it.

The War Horse - I personally feel that this refers to 'The Trojan Horse' in mythology.

Love - She likens her partner to Aeneas - a mythological hero who went to the underworld. It is referred to a lot in this poem.

The Pomegranate - Myth of Persephone and Ceres, mother and daughter who were tragically separated.

I'd say if you discuss all of these, you'll be alright for that question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'd love a mythology question, since I do Classics. But when I referenced actually legends in the mocks it was given a giant question mark. And it was relevent! I don't want to risk that happening again.
    I'm screwed if a history question comes up. But I'll try to swing the title to include mythology under the guise of ancient history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It became apparent that it was an open invitation to people to prepare and learn off essays and regurgitate them in the exam ... or worse, to cog them from grinds schools or elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

It became apparent that it was an open invitation to people to prepare and learn off essays and regurgitate them in the exam ... or worse, to cog them from grinds schools or elsewhere.

Ahh , I suppose that's a fair point. Hopefully the <nice people> in SEC will have nice questions picked out then for this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

That bit about using "This Moment" in a mythology answer just seems like grasping at straws to be honest.

Love - Alludes to Aeneas' journey to hell
    Pomegranate - Ceres and Persephone blah blah blah
    And the only other one I can think of that mentions it is..
    Outside History - ""Out of myth into history I move to be" (I think that's right)

But to get a full answer, about 4/5 pages out on that? Hell no.
    I see myth more as a point rather than a full essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

Does anyone know for certain who the "hero in a text" refered to by Boland in 'Love' is?

I've seen Aeneas, Odysseus and Orpheus all suggested so clarification (if possible) would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm quite sure it's Aeneas.

CdeP wrote: »
    Does anyone know for certain who the "hero in a text" refered to by Boland in 'Love' is?

I've seen Aeneas, Odysseus and Orpheus all suggested so clarification (if possible) would be much appreciated.

It doesn't matter. What matters is her mythologising of her husband and their relationship. It could be any hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

PJelly wrote: »
    But to get a full answer, about 4/5 pages out on that? Hell no.
    4/5 pages? D:
    Jasus, i wouldnt even be touching that length for this question.
    2/3 max..
    Then again i prefer to go by quality not quantity not saying you dont though :)
    But Jasus, i'd rather walk out of an exam than write 4/5 pages and poetry :3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

marko93 wrote: »
    4/5 pages? D:
    Jasus, i wouldnt even be touching that length for this question.
    2/3 max..
    Then again i prefer to go by quality not quantity not saying you dont though :)
    But Jasus, i'd rather walk out of an exam than write 4/5 pages and poetry :3

Im loving this 2 pages for poetry nonsense.

Im loving this 2 pages for poetry nonsense.
    Strong hatred for poetry thought in school. Ruins it for me, and i certainly cannot justify 4/5 pages for 12.5%.. they must be mad if they think they're getting anything close to it :)

• Advertisement

I'm quite sure it's Aeneas.

Did the Aeneid in Classics so I can see why most seem to think she's alluding to Aeneas. The mention of "shadows" towards the end of the poem does sort of suggest Orpheus though don't you think? Not that important really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Strong hatred for poetry thought in school. Ruins it for me, and i certainly cannot justify 4/5 pages for 12.5%.. they must be mad if they think they're getting anything close to it :)
    The examiners don't mind. It's less reading for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think it's about Aeneas crossing the bridge to the Underworld, and his dead comrades can't see him, like Boland's lover can't see her anymore.

Guys, stop getting yourself in knots about mythology, there's no way it would come up as a full question, totally unfair on people who didn't study exactly the right poems and certainly not long enough to form a solid answer on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

ak4 wrote: »
    if she does come up the chances are the question will be a toughie :(
    mythological seems to be what people are expecting to come up
    out of the poems i have dont of hers the only one that adheres to this theme is "this moment"
    problem or not ?

The pomegranate is all about mythology. Learn it now ;)

deemark wrote: »
    It doesn't matter. What matters is her mythologising of her husband and their relationship. It could be any hero.

Yeah you're right. Have something along those lines in an answer I did. Thanks.

I wonder would the examiner prefer if i wrote about pokemon if mythology came up.. Hmmmm.
    *awaits flaming :cool:*

I wouldnt would the examiner prefer if i wrote about pokemon if mythology came up.. Hmmmm.
    *awaits flaming :cool:*
    A pomegranate is the same shape as a pokeball.
    I feel that Boland uses the pomegranate as a link from one of her loves (poetry) to another past time of hers (pokemon)
    Pokemon was developed in .......

This could work.

A pomegranate is the same shape as a pokeball.
    I feel that Boland uses the pomegranate as a link from one of her loves (poetry) to another past time of hers (pokemon)
    Pokemon was developed in .......

This could work.
    I'd actually do this, I'm not an A student in the slightest, might brigthen up the examiners day or make him loathe me. Ethier way. Haters gonna hate.

I'd actually do this, I'm not an A student in the slightest, might brigthen up the examiners day or make him loathe me. Ethier way. Haters gonna hate.
    Like that student who wrote a full page of "F**K YOU! F**K YOU! F**K YOU!" For his english exam, and actually got two marks for mechanics. He did have capital letters after his exclamation marks after all.

• Advertisement

Like that student who wrote a full page of "F**K YOU! F**K YOU! F**K YOU!" For his english exam, and actually got two marks for mechanics. He did have capital letters after his exclamation marks after all.
    Must say that has given me a good laugh! If poetry is going dreadful, pokemon and mythology are coming out to play!
    Ah sure it's only poetry..

Advertisement