Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mothercare bad, Mamas and Papas good.

Options
  • 06-06-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Our wee boy just turned one last month and we're basically keeping Jumbletown lit-up with his old clothes and toys as he grows up so fast.

Like most first timers, we basically went a bit overboard and bought everything we could get our hands on.

As a general observation on our experience, I would like to warn most prospective parents about the products and service from Mothercare/Dorel plc.

Most of what we've bought from them has been back to the shop at least once, and several of the items of furniture have has various screws missing (and I'm an IKEA veteran).

It was no surprise to me that they are closing down hundreds of their retail outlets in the UK recently.

Compare and contrast with Mamas and Papas. We've had nothing but great service and solid products from them (Blanchardstown Branch).

Without boring the pants off you with specific tales of woe, I'd advise any prospective parent(s) out there to avoid Mothercare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kimbaby

Hi all, i have to say just joined this forum...only reason i looked up Mamas & Papas is to see the reviews on this shop and felt compelled to write a review hence i have joined up. As a first time parent too i was extremely excited/nervous/overwhelmed about buying the right baby stuff but this changed to just excitement when i also visited the Mama and Papas store in blanchardstown. all i can say is it is like a candy shop to new parents..... i was so looking forward to coming to this shop having seen the web site but i was more overwhelmed when we first went to the store...like most first time parents i brought my mam and mother in law for advice and reassurance but to be honest i didnt need them as the sales staff there where nothing but amazing... i arrived there last sunday at approx 11.30 with a quick pit stop to star bucks right outside the store and was like a giddy child waiting to go in and go to heaven. i wasnt dissapointed!!! the shop is huge... it is beautifully laid out, airy and clear to navigate. the nursery rooms are just breathtaking....anyhow without going into every detail i really found the staff here sooo helpful (and believe me i have done my research...)to give you an idea my husband was laid off last year and i only have my income to support us both so money is at a premium but i was so surpised at the value that you can get in this "designer store". the lady we spoke with (think her name is joan) never pressurised us in to anything spent almost over an hour going through demos etc and never once tried the hard sell with us.... aparantly they dont work on commission so you dont feel pressure to buy anything. even my mam and mil loved her too... sounds terrible but they are all older women here not kids so you feel they know what they are talking about....anyway just felt it worthy to mention this store. genuinely this shop more than lived up to my expectations and worth the 90 mile round trip!!! after trying for this mircale baby for so long it has added to my experience as a very positive one. Well done mamas and pappas i love this shop, can i have a job there too;) cant wait for this baby to enter the world, i am so excited to meet you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I couldn't speak highly enough about the Mamas and Papas in Blanch. The staff there are really friendly and professional.

When we were returning a faulty buggy to Mothercare in Blanch, my wife almost has a standing row with a sales assistant who tried to give us a McClaren buggy as a replacement and stood defensively with hand on hip stating that it was the only one in the shop.

It's no surprise to me that Mothercare in the UK are starting the process of winding down hundreds of their retail outlets.

I'd seriously advise any (prospective) parents to think twice about buying any big-ticket items from Mothercare in light of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This is not the Mamas & Papas Appreciation Society.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement