Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best distance to zero .22LR

Options
  • 06-06-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a Krico .22Lr bolt action and was wondering if any one had an idea as to the best distance to zero it at? i mostly shoot max 50 yards due to cover but would have to make the odd longer shoot.

Any input appreciated

james

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

50 mtrs (or yards) is always a good zero distance. The problem with any .22 subsonic round is its slow speed, approx. 950 - 1050fps is a .22's average MV. Drops can be huge over short distances when compared with any centrefire rifle.

If you do not have access to 50mtr/yard area to zero a helpful tip is zero it for 1.25" high at 25 mtrs and you will be pretty much spot on for 50.

For longer shots you are looking at 6" of drop from 50 to 100mtrs. So you can either have the rifle zeroed for a distance like 70 mtrs/yards for approx 3" of holdover for further distances or leave it at a 50 zero and simply hold over 2" or so for shots up to 75.

If, as you say, most of your shooting is done at the 50 mark then i would have the rifle zeroed for this distance. This way when you shoulder the rifle you know its ready to shoot 90% of the time and then for the other 10% simply holdover.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

thanks for that. i was shooting with hypervilocity rounds but since fitting the surpressor i am now shooting the subvelocity round as to stop the noise from the bullet breaking the speed of sound.

thanks for the advice

Advertisement