Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in Behaviour of a Labrador

• 06-06-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a query about my labrador and just looking to gain wisdom from other peoples experiences. I will probably have to go to a behavourist eventually but at the moment I dont have the money.

My 3 and a half year old female labrador has developed a kind of agressive behaviour in the last 4/5 months or so. When she is off the lead and she comes across a dog that is on the lead, she first of all sniffs the dog and then becomes agressive with the dog, usually chasing it around its owner, snapping and growling. For example when we are in the local field she may spot another dog coming in the entrance on a lead (or not) from the other side of the field. She then runs up to the dog and depending on the situation she may go for the other dog if its on the lead. She has always loved dogs and will always go up to say hello. When I am on paths with her I keep her on the lead but when I am in my local field I like her to get a run on her own or with friend dogs that she knows. She gets on grand with dogs when they are off the lead. Sometimes when she is on the lead she will start barking and growling at a dog that may go by that is on the lead. But at least I have control of her so I am just embarrassed and not left with a distraught owner.

The only thing that I can think of that happened around the same time is that I started walking her with a 7 month old female retriever in the local field. THis dog is very submissive but loves a chase too. She would often jump on my dog and start play fighting, but then my dog will take it a little too far and start grabbing at her front paw with her mouth and the other dog will not fight back. I will immeadiately remove her when this happens particularly because her owner doesnt like it, and correct her which sometimes works, if not she goes back on the lead. Could she have taken on a more aggressive persona because this dog is timidn and she can get away with more?

I bought her a material muzzle today which she hates, she has also stopped running around as much as she used to as I think she cant pant properly in it( it does say a dog shouldnt wear it in strenuous exercise) and I hate it on her too as I think she is unhappy in it ( I'm a wuss)

Some experienced advice would be most welcomed.

Comments

Advertisement