Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Dubai.

Options
  • 06-06-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So I've recently finished my B.Ed degree in Mary I HURRAY :D ...but now I'm left thinking what is next? A friend of mine has put the notion of teaching in Dubai in my head :confused: Just wondering if anyone has heard any stories about it or done it themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lollipoplady

Hey! I was teaching in a private local arab school in Al Mamzar, Dubai. It's a pretty drastic culture change but the weather is good (if a bit too hot and sunny!!) and the expats you will meet through work, going out are all really friendly. Schools vary so much though, you really need to research your school thoroughly before you go (something i failed to do!!). International schools catering for expats are your best bet but can be harder to get a job in. I know a load of Irish teachers thinking of heading out there this year and id say go!! it will be tough and its different but just go with an open mind and you will be fine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 owat

Hi lollopoplady,
    Can I just ask how did you get your teaching job in Dubai. Wanting to go out there next yr, have 10 yrs exp in primary school in Ireland. What should be my first step? An agency, any you would recommend?
    Any advise would be great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Barbie2012

Hi I am looking to teach in Dubai next year ?? Just looking to hear from other teachers ( irish or english ) what it like before I make the big decision ?
    Where is the best place to get a job ? what is the social life like?? Where is the best areas to look for work or what types of schools??
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 39 F.A.S.H

Hey! I was teaching in a private local arab school in Al Mamzar, Dubai. It's a pretty drastic culture change but the weather is good (if a bit too hot and sunny!!) and the expats you will meet through work, going out are all really friendly. Schools vary so much though, you really need to research your school thoroughly before you go (something i failed to do!!). International schools catering for expats are your best bet but can be harder to get a job in. I know a load of Irish teachers thinking of heading out there this year and id say go!! it will be tough and its different but just go with an open mind and you will be fine:D

Hi Lollypop Lady, I betcha I was in your sister school in Jumeirah!

But I agree with you, it is tough, but defo worth it for the lifestyle. It's an amazing place, but beware the pressure is huge in the Arabic schools, you will be thrown in at the deep end, and expected to sink or swim. My advice would be wait until January to go. You'll get into an international school easier then, and probably more money too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tanaka1

Hey everyone,

I am currently seeking primary teaching jobs in Dubai. I have four years experience at primary level. I am just wondering what is the best way to search for jobs? I have looked up many sites and recruitment agencies and sent my cv off to them but I haven't heard anything back yet. Suggestions anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 F.A.S.H

tanaka1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I am currently seeking primary teaching jobs in Dubai. I have four years experience at primary level. I am just wondering what is the best way to search for jobs? I have looked up many sites and recruitment agencies and sent my cv off to them but I haven't heard anything back yet. Suggestions anyone?

Hi Tanaka1,

Do NOT go through SABIS they are a rote learning, no creativity, no fun, soul sucking demon school.
    I went through teachanywhere, highly recommend them, with your experience you will defo get into an international school, dont go with a Arabic private school, less money and more pressure.

Or I think you can apply to GEMS directly, but a recruitment agency is best, now is also the time to do it, as they are looking now for this year. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tanaka1

Hey F.A.S.H.

Thanks very much for the prompt advice. I applied to teachanywhere last night. Do you know when most of the interviews take place?
    Are you still in Dubai teaching? What kind of questions will they ask in the interview? If you names of any other recruitment agencies I would really appreciate it. :-)

Hi guys,
    Only noticed the replies here.
    F.A.S.H I think u might be right about the sister school in Jumeirah! Needless to say I didn't last long in my school!!
    In the phone interview I was asked about assessment and planning mainly. There were three people asking questions.. Nothing too taxing to be honest. I think if u get an interview at all its in the bag!!
    I went with teach anywhere and they were really helpful but I can't stress enough to stay away from the local schools. Like someone previously said it is sink or swim.. And I sank!!!
    Feel free to ask any questions (I promise I will reply this time!!)

Hi guys,
    Only noticed the replies here.
    F.A.S.H I think u might be right about the sister school in Jumeirah! Needless to say I didn't last long in my school!!
    In the phone interview I was asked about assessment and planning mainly. There were three people asking questions.. Nothing too taxing to be honest. I think if u get an interview at all its in the bag!!
    I went with teach anywhere and they were really helpful but I can't stress enough to stay away from the local schools. Like someone previously said it is sink or swim.. And I sank!!!
    Feel free to ask any questions (I promise I will reply this time!!)

Advertisement