Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm unlawfully taken by Gardai

Options
  • 07-06-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Has anybody seen page 32 in the Irish shooters digest written by Des Crofton from the NRGC in the june edition? has anything like this happened to any of you? and what would you do if it happened to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

link? scan? stick it up so we can all read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bakil

i would nt know where to start putting it up. if anyone out there can put up the page that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

type it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Your under pressure now Bakil, I too am intrigued :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I had a quick look at the article you mention in the digest , its about some of the nonsense that i hoped we'd seen the back of in the 80's, some gardai behaving like firearms owners are unconvicted criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

****ing bolloxes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Well done to him for holding his ground, Hope that Garda gets suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This is what happens when you don't invest in sufficient training for rank-and-file Gardai and then deploy them in a country with a problem with gun crime that successive Ministers have not tackled, but dodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

And this is what happens when somebody wih a good mix of ignorance and arrogance get some authority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I could give you similar (less severe) instances of where I have been stopped by the PSNI and been told the ‘law’. When I have in turn told them the actual law they have disputed this, although in fairly good humour. The last time though the officer in charge tried to finish the encounter with “I’ll let you off this time.” I called him back and told him that he was letting me off with nothing as I was well within the law!
    I was on another occasion stopped by Traffic Corps, who had NO idea the law or what to do, and admitted as much. In fairness to them they were fairly friendly and it was way too cold to hang about chatting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

this is crazy!telling people you cant have the gun in a slip!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Isn't there something in the new legislation that states you can't have access to a firearm while driving a car etc? That it has to be securely locked in the boot?

No, there's nothing like that in the Acts, you're thinking of the guidelines laid down by the NASRPC in their proposal:
    Centrefire pistols will be broken down into at least two component parts for transportation by car. The primary component will be locked into a secure steel box, which has been anchored to the vehicle by bolts, welding, or chains and locks. The vehicle will be fitted with an alarm and immobiliser. The secondary assembly will remain with the licence holder at all times.
    A licence holder will never leave a useable pistol in an unattended vehicle regardless of the type of alarm fitted to the vehicle or duration of the stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I am shooting long enough to have had encounters with various officers and there are more lads on here with similiar

1. Walking between fields with a broken o/u over my arm and the dog on the lead
    was approached by a unmarked car and told to get into the field as Its against the law for me to be on the road, and that he could arrest me

2. Being stopped by the guards as I am stepping inside a field and asked if the o/u only took 2 shells

Everyone of these guards were young lads... If every person stopped like in the article above reported it as high as it could go then maybe we would get something done, the veiled threats are always the sickener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

It is always best to err on the side of caution.

Usually, I stand up for the Gardai, because in general, they are fair. However, if this is true, changing stories that amount of times, then this Garda is just a knucklehead.

Were the Gardai in a truck or something? How could they see into, [assumedly] in the dark, between two moving vehicles, difficult at best.

However, these lads did not help their own case.

That's the point that a lot of us, such as EZ, try to often make. Sometimes it is not the law, but how the Gardai interpret the law.

I never give anyone the opportunity to interpret, my gun is always in the trunk, locked, with the bolt out and I will never grant anyone permission to search.

Also, I am no lawyer and I do not know the law in this case. It is my understanding that you are to have your license with you at all times when you have the firearm. Not a grant letter.

Thus, I could see where the Gardai could have confiscated this rifle with just cause. If it were in plain sight, why not ask to see the license?

However, when the license is produced the next day, the Garda needs to move on.

I've heard of (both directly and indirectly) a number of cases like this that follow a set pattern:
    • Young garda or gardai encounter a shooter with a licenced firearm.
    • Said gardai confiscate said firearm and issue warnings regarding legality and so forth, usually quite perturbing the shooter involved.
    • Shortly after the young gardai return to the station, firearm in tow, the shooter receives a phone call which ranges in tone from neutral to concilatory to outright contrite, informing them of when they may collect the firearm.
    • The firearm is returned, either without incident or with some arbitrary abstract warnings that seem unrelated.

It's just my personal interpretation, you understand, but I have this mental image of an over-eager Garda running up to his Sergeant to show off his confiscation and receive praise for addressing the rising gun crime problem only to encounter either a metaphorical slap to the back of the head or a (possibly literal) facepalm or long sigh, followed by some informal training in relation to public relations and the firearms acts, and an order to return said firearm.

Incredibly unprofessional (but frankly, with training cutbacks, I lay the fault at the Minister's feet, not the AGS's), unbelievably irritating, definitely warranting further action, but perhaps not quite an organised conspiracy amongst all gardai to go after all licenced firearms holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Friend of mine is going through a nasty seperation and usual struggle to see his child. Ex has made numerous claims against him all of which were investigated and proven false. Then one evening 2 cops arrived out claiming on such and such he threatened her with a gun and demanded he hand it over to them. Despite his partner and others saying it was not the case they took his and his brothers shotguns. There has never been a case against him, he has never been called to make a formal statement and even though he has asked for his and witness statements to be taken he has been told he will not be getting his gun back in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

homerhop wrote: »
    Friend of mine is going through a nasty seperation and usual struggle to see his child. Ex has made numerous claims against him all of which were investigated and proven false. Then one evening 2 cops arrived out claiming on such and such he threatened her with a gun and demanded he hand it over to them. Despite his partner and others saying it was not the case they took his and his brothers shotguns. There has never been a case against him, he has never been called to make a formal statement and even though he has asked for his and witness statements to be taken he has been told he will not be getting his gun back in the future.

Guilty until proven innocent. :mad:

This works both ways, especially in the states where cops have to carry guns. One word from the ex and his job is on the line. Fortunately, alimony is on the line as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Yes but just because a guard says something it doesn't make it so, i have been told allsorts of barefaced porkies about firearms law over the years. A good solicitor would rip that case to shreds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

he is up to his tonsils in fees about getting to see his kid, despite court orders and bench warrents for his ex, well ya know how that story goes. told him not to let it go but he said its the least of his worries at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bakil

thanks for all the posts. i v meet alot of gardai out lamping and i could nt speak highly enough of them. all they want to know is what your doing and when you tell them they leave it at that. telling us we re mad to be out at night after foxes all in good humor.we met a sergant one night when we were pulled in making tea and he stayed for a cup with us. but i fear the gardai are changing as the older members are leaving and been replaced by young men. who seem to think a uniform gives them the right to walk all over lawabiding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

The sh!tty thing is,if you kick up too much of a stink your local powers that be can make it VERY awkward for any future paperwork:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Sparks wrote: »
    IIncredibly unprofessional (but frankly, with training cutbacks, I lay the fault at the Minister's feet, not the AGS's), unbelievably irritating, definitely warranting further action, but perhaps not quite an organised conspiracy amongst all gardai to go after all licenced firearms holders.

I understand where your coming from and my dealings with An Garda Siochana have always been good. I would be of the opinion that ignorance is no defense of the law and thus this can be applied to members of the force also. Members should know the law regardless of training, if it's available to the public then members of the force should also know regardless of whether they get training days or not. In my job I must keep up to date with proceedings and I often have to do this outside of work hours. If I didn't the **** would hit the fan and I would make wrong decisions such as the Gardai in question in this thread.

I am a public sector worker myself and understand that there may be drop in morale but if the information is available a man or woman should keep up to date regardless of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

2. Being stopped by the guards as I am stepping inside a field and asked if the o/u only took 2 shells

LOL!!

No officer, it's one of those new fancy ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Another one!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I've seen this happen in about a half dozen matrimonials I've dealt with over the years,and I always advise the male clients.GET THEM OUT of the house into storage ASAP until you have it all settled with your soon to be ex!!
    Serious guys...There is no accounting for the bitchiness and nastiness that a woman can come up with in these already unpleasent proceedings..
    The last thing you want is AGS showing up and demanding your guns as your ex darling wife has claimed you are threatning her and the kids..

You can try and argue it out in as I call it "the girls court" AKA family law courts at a later stage..Also it does show good tactics on your part..If they aint there how could you threaten her with them??
    Move them out.Its not like you cant check them out to go shooting for the day or so and return them to the dealer.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Sparks wrote: »
    No, there's nothing like that in the Acts, you're thinking of the guidelines laid down by the NASRPC in their proposal:

Sparks,correct me if I am wrong here but the "The Garda Commissioner’s Guidelines as to the Practical Application and Operation of the Firearms Acts, 1925-2009. Issued in accordance with section 3A of The Firearms Act, 1925 as inserted by section 31 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2006 " guidelines on the Garda website contain the following under;

There are considerable obligations on firearms license holders to ensure that firearms are stored safely and securely, and in particular whilst traveling to a shoot or to a hunt.
    The following conditions may be considered appropriate (although the list is not an exhaustive one) for inclusion by a superintendent or chief superintendent when granting a firearms certificate:

• That possession and carriage of any firearm including a short firearm (barrel under 30cm or overall length not exceeding 60cm)/ammunition concealed on the person in public is not permitted at any time, save in circumstances where such possession and carriage on the person is necessary for a lawful purpose.
    • In the case of self loading (semi automatic) pistols and revolvers consideration may be given to a requirement to dismantle each gun when not at the range where it is intended to be used with some necessary parts held at the range.
    • During transport, firearms must always be stored in a case/sleeve, out of sight in a locked vehicle boot. They should not be immediately accessible to the driver or any passenger.
    • No gun should be loaded with ammunition while traveling to or from a shoot.
    • Where possible, rifle bolts and shotgun fore ends, pistol top slides and magazines should be removed and kept separately.
    • That the firearm is never left inside the seating area of a vehicle: whether occupied or unattended.
    • If it is necessary to stop and leave the vehicle, reasonable steps should be taken to ensure the safety of the firearm in question. It is a good idea to also place in the boot anything which might indicate that a firearm may be in the vehicle e.g. hunting clothing, stalking stick, hunting knife, binoculars, decoys, hunting hat etc. "
    I know that they are not "the law" as such,but if they are the guidelines being given to the Supers,I suppose that we should at least be aware of them.They are common sense anyway and should apply to any valuable item in the car/jeep let alone a gun.

And no,I am not excusing what the Garda did in this case.

They're not even guidelines for shooters Vizzy - the Commissioner is saying there that superintendents should apply those conditions as part of people's licences on an individual basis, while hinting that it ought to be every individual.

Rosahane, go for it. It'd make interesting reading - FOI requests often do.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Members should know the law regardless of training, if it's available to the public then members of the force should also know regardless of whether they get training days or not.
    The problem with that is that the Firearms Act is one of the most convoluted, arcane, badly written and poorly collated parts of Irish law. It's spread across eight Firearms Acts, a dozen or so other Acts from the Wildlife Acts to the Road Traffic Acts, two EU directives, upwards of fifty SIs, and who-knows-how-many guidelines, policies, memos and schedules. The Law Reform Commission was recommending a restatement of the Firearms Act in 2006 before Minister McDowell took an already messy Act and added 100% more mess to it, and before Minister Ahern did likewise in 2009. My best guess is that there are maybe two dozen people in total in Ireland who know the firearms act correctly - and most of those two dozen are not in the AGS, they're spread between the DoJ and the NGBs on the FCP.

Given that setup, I would tend to give a little more leeway than normal to rank-and-file gardai...
    ...but only a little more, mind! Silly buggers is silly buggers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Thankfully I have had very few run ins with the AGS, but from listening to a mate of mine who is a Guard in Dublin, it seems anything goes, the actions I have seen this fellas get away with because he is a Guard is frightening ! :eek:

I'm 31 years old and have had a licenced gun since I 16/17 :) ( As soon as it was legal :rolleyes: )
    I once got a phone call to bring my .22 Semi auto into the station to verify the serial number, being about 19 or 20 I thought nothing of it and "left" the gun there with the firearms officer expecting to get it back the next day if not the same day.
    3/4 weeks past and I got pissed off ringing the guy to get my gun back and all I got was he's "off today" or "in court today"
    I finally got hold of my gun in about 5 different bits :mad: and the barrel looked like it has been scuffed or got damp and was starting to rust.

In the end I had to bring it to a firearms dealer who put it back together as my local firearms dealer couldnt....
    The gun never shot the same again and I soon sold it.

They gave no explanation or apology for breaking the gun other than we had a bit of trouble finding the serial.

I think a lot of the new cops have a bit of a chip on their shoulder and consider shooting as a "Country" or "Redneck" sport and look down their nose at shooters.

Advertisement