Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Physics Calculations

• 07-06-2011 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Ok so I did the leaving last year and the formulas for calculations were all in the log tables and other values like the radius of the earth etc. were given at the bottom of each question but this year theyre not being given so does that mean I have to learn off all these values or will they be given at the start of the paper? Because I'm not going to be able to remember all these numbers! :/

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

They're in the Formulas and Tables book (the new log tables). I'm not sure exactly where they are but there's a page that has "Physics constants" or something along those lines that contains most of them! Make sure you know where they are before you do the exam - note the table of contents at the start of the booklet also. Remember you get these tables given to you in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

What? Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

Basically, the change that has been made to the paper this year (according to my teacher) is that whereas before, at the end of the question, the constants were given, this year you will have to look them up yourself in the log tables (pg 56). In a way, it made it easier having the constants at the bottom of the question, because at least if you had no idea what to do, you knew at least that it had something to do with Planck's constant, etc. But it's a small price to pay for being supplied with all of the formulae :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

But didn't they only have this idea a few months ago?

The papers were set ages ago, so maybe they left them on! Hopefully...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

what.to.do wrote: »
    But didn't they only have this idea a few months ago?

The papers were set ages ago, so maybe they left them on! Hopefully...

No I knew about this before I sat my paper in 2010. We were the luckiest as we still had the new formula book but with the constants at the bottom of the question. Although I remember there being one question where there was an essential constant not given, but it was in the formula book so it wasn't a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

There was something said about all the values needed in the exam being printed on a page and given with the paper (there are also come values in the log tables but they are constants).

I asked my teacher about this and she said nothing was said since! Don't worry though they will be there somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

No I knew about this before I sat my paper in 2010. We were the luckiest as we still had the new formula book but with the constants at the bottom of the question.

Ya I loved the exam last year it made the calculations so much easier :) Ok that's a relief.. thanks guys!

Advertisement