Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Leap" - Dublin's New Integrated Ticketing Name!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

markpb wrote: »
    Unlikely, banks don't replace ATM/Debit cards very quickly unless there's a good reason to.

@ 28c per transaction there's very good reason to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

markpb wrote: »
    Unlikely, banks don't replace ATM/Debit cards very quickly unless there's a good reason to.

AIB have been preparing for this the last year, they have been replacing all the terminals in the banks with contactless card readers in preparation for them.

The good reason is money.

People in Ireland continue to use cash for the majority of their purchases, much higher then anywhere else in Europe. The banks and Visa/Mastercard see a lot of money to be made from getting people to make more purchases via contactless cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

RPA wrote:
    Q7: Why don’t you use Mobile Phones (NFC or SMS ticketing) or contactless credit cards?

Contactless credit cards such as:
    Mastercard PayPass
    Visa Wave
    American Express ExpressPay are growing in popularity.

However, they require a different infrastructure and for transit use would require all banks in Ireland to issue the cards to their customers (thus potentially limiting the audience) before they could be used for transit, and we are not aware of any defined timeline for this to occur.

We will however, continue to monitor developments in these areas.

This question was answered a long time ago by the RPA. However things have obviously changed dramatically. Ulster Bank have a contact-less card used by staff in their office opposite the IFSC for a long time now, BoI's card is on the way and presumably AIB will be joining. So the big banks all will be using these cards fairly soon.

So it is not beyond the realms of possibility but I'd say it'll be a while before it happens. The public trial of the e-purse card starts around the 18th of July. This will be fully functioning on all Dublin Bus and LUAS services. We'll probably have a good idea of how the thing works by then.

Leapcard.ie was registered a long time ago and is ready for use. Along with the awful slogan "LEAP, hop, skip, jump."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Leapcard.ie was registered a long time ago and is ready for use. Along with the awful slogan "LEAP, hop, skip, jump."
    I hope to high heaven that you're joking. I really thought they'd avoided a marketing f*ck-up with this one, but god that slogan is atrocious.

Aard wrote: »
    I hope to high heaven that you're joking. I really thought they'd avoided a marketing f*ck-up with this one, but god that slogan is atrocious.

No joke there at all. Its been registered as a trade mark. I am just waiting for the clip art frog.

unled4ic.gif

But in fairness to the NTA and their Transport for Ireland site; the branding isn't bad. So maybe they'll come up with something good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

unled4ic.gif

There was a competition for primary schools to come up with a new design for the leapcard.

Haha, only joking. Someone in the NTA did it up in MS Paint. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Any chance this frog might turn into a prince?

Back to the contactless debate. Its just about a month since I said that at least two banks in Ireland would announce they are to offer contactless cards. . . . . . . . . . . . One down!

I was in Belfast last weekend and stopped at a McDonald's where they have signs in their cafe and in the drive through announcing that they are now taking contactless cards. First time I have seen this anywhere in the North. What's the betting that McDonald's are first to take these cards down here too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Toboldlygo wrote: »
    What's the betting that McDonald's are first to take these cards down here too?

Half of Tuam have had the readers installed for ages so unlikely, as there's no McD's there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Seems to be the final branding.

:rolleyes:

that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

indeed

hop, skip, jump - but dont forget that you'll (pending final confirmation) be paying again and again and again for every time you do so !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

indeed

hop, skip, jump - but dont forget that you'll (pending final confirmation) be paying again and again and again for every time you do so !!

I would imagine that you'll be paying a blended fare at the end of the day for multi-mode journeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

lxflyer wrote: »
    I would imagine that you'll be paying a blended fare at the end of the day for multi-mode journeys.

You must be new to this country - Welcome. That would be the best practice and what be would all like. What will be delivered is likely to be different.

I hope I'm wrong but I would expect some sort of soft launch without all the full trimmings.

As far as I was told months ago a fare structure was already worked out. It had daily and weekly caps based on how many modes you took. Single, dual and multi were the titles.

The only thing that was still undecided was Dublin Bus's fare structure. They were considering going flat fare for smart card users. This was to eliminate the need to tag on and off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It will do daily/weekly caps

It will do multi modal rebates, so two journeys made on different modes made close together will be less than the sum of two cash tickets for the same journey

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You must be new to this country - Welcome. That would be the best practice and what be would all like. What will be delivered is likely to be different.

I hope I'm wrong but I would expect some sort of soft launch without all the full trimmings.

No I'm not - but I took time out to correspond with the RPA to ask if that was the plan some time back and I was told that yes it likely to be the case that blended fares would apply in the case of multi-modal journeys.

No secrets all in public for a long time

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=13237

Lose the modified McDonalds logo, the "card", and that awful motto, and it's not so bad. OK the frog looks as though it jumped in front of a windshield, but a little creative 'shopping could sort it out. Let's hope it's just a placeholder graphic, and not anything they actually plan on using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No secrets all in public for a long time
    indeed, thats the inside line on what is being considered.

Still no word on whats been decided though.

i.e.
    a) is Dublin bus going flat rate fare for smartcard only? (i.e. stages can be paid in cash as currently) Great idea as it'll encourage people to NOT use the smartcard for short cheap journeys and clog up the doors with people hunting for change just as happens now.

b) is there to be a daily capping as well as weekly? If not it means theres no benefit for someone only in town for a weekend as you need to spend €30+ to hit the cap, and only 2 days use of your weekly ticket should you manage it!

c) how much less is a multi modal journey going to be than currently. The card will undoubtedly make it easier to switch but is anyone going to use a connecting luas or a bus to complete the final km of their journey if its say €1.40 rather than standard €1.60 for the add on of a measly few luas stops? For me thats the essence of integrated transport - get people as near as possible from door to door even if it takes a couple of "leap"s but without penalising them unduly for not living on a direct - no change - route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

No I'm not - but I took time out to correspond with the RPA to ask if that was the plan some time back and I was told that yes it likely to be the case that blended fares would apply in the case of multi-modal journeys.

No offence meant - perhaps I have getting to cynical...

When are the Leap-cards-for-Luas/IR swaps being sent out?

I have a registered IR one and a registered Luas one, not bothered getting them merged as I can just give the second one to my partner, but I'd obviously like to have working cards...

I did notice from googling to see if there was an official site yet that we have the usual sad cases crying about the card not being named in Irish. ffs. Language Commissioner told them where to get off, though.

MYOB wrote: »
    I did notice from googling to see if there was an official site yet that we have the usual sad cases crying about the card not being named in Irish. ffs. Language Commissioner told them where to get off, though.
    Let's leave sleeping dogs lie... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

According to the OP the card is meant to come online in late August. So... where is it?

Currently under test.

Anyone have an idea of what the fare structure is on the trial?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Probably a stupid question but would these work for Dublin Coach?

Anyone have an idea of what the fare structure is on the trial?

That appears to be as good a secret as the last secret of Fatima!

Le King wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but would these work for Dublin Coach?

Presumably at a later stage. Initially it's to be Dublin Bus, LUAS and Irish Rail with Bus Eireann following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Presumably at a later stage. Initially it's to be Dublin Bus, LUAS and Irish Rail with Bus Eireann following.

Is there any word yet on when the trial will be finished and we'll actually be able to use it?!

sitstill wrote: »

Is there any word yet on when the trial will be finished and we'll actually be able to use it?!

My understanding is before the end of the year. Better to get whatever glitches there are ironed out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

My understanding is before the end of the year. Better to get whatever glitches there are ironed out now.

But isn't that the type of attitude that's had us waiting so long for integrated ticketing in the first place?

AngryLips wrote: »

But isn't that the type of attitude that's had us waiting so long for integrated ticketing in the first place?

Well I would respectfully suggest that it is better to test any new system before implementing it and that is exactly what the RPA are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The rpa say there will be a final round of testing to commence during the summer. As it's autumn now, either they mean summer 2012 or are not bothering to keep their website up to date, or are incompetent

NTA has taken the project over from the RPA and all the staff have moved over. I take it that's why the website hasn't been updated.

The test is under-way and as far as I am aware (from a link posted earlier in the thread). Rail Users Ireland members are using it as we speak. They've kept tight lipped about the details it'd seem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Any update on this? Thought it was meant to be available in September?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

sitstill wrote: »
    Any update on this? Thought it was meant to be available in September?!

A few months ago, they ran a pilot of ticket part of the card. The second pilot, which includes the ePurse, started a few weeks ago. It looks like it's going to be another while before it opens to the public though :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

End of the Year 2012 Basically....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1117/integratedticket.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

How to develop an integrated ticketing system in Ireland:

1) Talk about it for several years and hire consultants at huge expense.
    2) Setup some form of QANGO to ponder it and play with new logo ideas.
    3) Design the logo.
    4) Design another logo and change name.
    5) Go on trips looking at other systems elsewhere.
    6) Prepare endless reports on these systems and file them in a basement.
    7) Test a system.
    8) Stop testing the system for no reason.
    9) Have some committee meetings that last a few years.
    10) Try to develop your own system.
    11) Give up on that.
    12) Design another new logo.
    13) Have a big fight between several state bodies that all run transit systems.
    14) Send meaningless press releases about launch dates which never happen.
    15) Minister eventually starts to feel political heat as the whole process is so ridiculous.
    16) Go buy system off-the-shelf from some company who could have implemented the whole thing in about 6 months to begin with.
    17) Design more logos and rename QANGO.
    18) Probably spend a fortune on an ad campaign for the new system that's about a decade late.
    19) Arrange press shots with random politicians taking credit for off-the-shelf technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I know there's a great deal of cynicism for a project that was announced 12 years ago bit where did you get next year out of this?
    The Leap Card is expected to be available to all commuters by the end of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just heard them talking about this earlier on todayfm, and heard a figure of 42mill to set up.

:eek:

How could it cost that much, and did it take as long and cost as much to do in london with the Oyster Card and a way bigger transport system, granted london transport had been intergrated for many many years before Oyster came along, but still.

• Advertisement

Oyster contract was for £1.1 billion sterling over 17 years see http://www.ciltuk.org.uk/download_files/ltfapr06underground.pdf

Victoria in Australia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myki, http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/bn-transport-smartcard-under-fire/story-e6frg6nf-1225816759437 $1.35 billion AUD

Mumbai scraped its system after 3 years

€42 million is cheap in comparison

Oyster contract was for £1.1 billion sterling over 17 years see http://www.ciltuk.org.uk/download_files/ltfapr06underground.pdf

Victoria in Australia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myki, http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/bn-transport-smartcard-under-fire/story-e6frg6nf-1225816759437 $1.35 billion AUD

Mumbai scraped its system after 3 years

€42 million is cheap in comparison

Oyster was not developed in an era of off the shelf tech. Neither was the start of our ITS system, but its been delayed so often that a point should have been reached to just buy off-the-shelf.

MYOB wrote: »
    Oyster was not developed in an era of off the shelf tech. Neither was the start of our ITS system, but its been delayed so often that a point should have been reached to just buy off-the-shelf.

But Oyster is related to the Hong Kong card http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_card which has been around for a long time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Solair wrote: »

3) Design the logo.
    7) Test a system.
    11) Give up on that.
    15) Minister eventually starts to feel political heat as the whole process is so ridiculous.
    16) Go buy system off-the-shelf from some company who could have implemented the whole thing in about 6 months to begin with.
    18) Probably spend a fortune on an ad campaign for the new system that's about a decade late.
    19) Arrange press shots with random politicians taking credit for off-the-shelf technology.
    20) Use a system with known security vulnerabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

3) Design the logo.
    7) Test a system.
    11) Give up on that.

Take political donations off companies that you are handing state contracts to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

3) Design the logo.
    7) Test a system.
    11) Give up on that.
    Finally released today!

I think theyve set a new record speed for getting things done in Ireland :D

Advertisement