Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ abroad

• 07-06-2011 7:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this topic has been dealed with already, but I'll give it a go anyway...

I'm living in Sweden and would really like to have RTÉ, does anyone know how I could do that? Is a Skybox my only option? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Right now a Sky box is your only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

The lads on this thread here are trying to watch BBC iplayer from Ireland on the PC, I guess the same would apply to you if you wanted to watch RTE player from Sweden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Cool! Thank you both very much for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

use www.overplay.net £6.95/Month , Just Brilliant

That's a good one as well, but I'm not sure if I like watching TV through my computer. My computer isn't all that... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

That's a good one as well, but I'm not sure if I like watching TV through my computer. My computer isn't all that... ;)

You're not the only one, but there aren't really many set top boxes that will allow you to watch TV through the internet without a computer, other than ones that you can only use with a specific IPTV service.
    There are bits of hardware that you can get - like this one - but the most straightforward thing to do is to connect your computer to your TV set.

Well, ideally I don't want to watch TV over the internet at all - one of the reasons is that my computer is too slow and it won't play the simplest of things. Especially not while plugged in to the TV (I get that I need a computer to watch things online)

I'd prefer to get a box and a satelite dish, and was curious if anyone knew what box and how to go about getting it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭montgolfiere

you will also need a sky subscription to receive the RTE TV Channels. All The UK FTA Channels are however available without subscription. you may also require a Big Dish for the UK FTA Reception... depending upon whereabouts you are situated. Have a look at the Astra 2 Footprints for coverage in Sweden (2 D for the UK FTA Channels).....

Sky have placed the Irish channels onto Astra 2D, the same bird that carries the UK Freesat channels so you will still need a large dish in any case. The exact dish size will depend on your location in Sweden, so for example a 1.2m dish will work in Stockholm but further north you will require a bigger dish. Whereabouts are you located in Sweden?

Also I'd recommend setting up your own Sky sub back in Ireland and then bringing the box to Sweden. But before you do that make sure you can pick up the UK Freesat channels i.e. BBC 1, UTV etc first on a simple FTA receiver before jumping through the hoops to get an Irish Sky sub first.

rlogue wrote: »
    Sky have placed the Irish channels onto Astra 2D, the same bird that carries the UK Freesat channels so you will still need a large dish in any case. The exact dish size will depend on your location in Sweden, so for example a 1.2m dish will work in Stockholm but further north you will require a bigger dish. Whereabouts are you located in Sweden?

Also I'd recommend setting up your own Sky sub back in Ireland and then bringing the box to Sweden. But before you do that make sure you can pick up the UK Freesat channels i.e. BBC 1, UTV etc first on a simple FTA receiver before jumping through the hoops to get an Irish Sky sub first.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate your help!
    I'm located in the south/west so what works in Stockholm is most likely to work here as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If you have relatives in Ireland they could connect a slingbox to a saorview box.

You could then connect to the slingbox with your laptop and watch all the saorview channels.

You'd both need broadband too.

You would have no monthly bill.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sling-Media-SB260-110-SlingBox-Solo/dp/B000W4CXT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307516260&sr=8-1

If you have relatives in Ireland they could connect a slingbox to a saorview box.

You could then connect to the slingbox with your laptop and watch all the saorview channels.

You'd both need broadband too.

You would have no monthly bill.

Thank you! That sounds like a fair idea as well...
    I'll have to look in to all the optioins you nice people have provided me with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

Thank you! That sounds like a fair idea as well...
    I'll have to look in to all the optioins you nice people have provided me with.

Fáilte romhat. With the SlingCatcher, you don't need a computer, you can watch the SlingBox stream through your TV set, as you would with a set top box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you go with using a Skybox,set up an account at an Irish address,you can pay the monthly bill via credit card or if you can through an Irish bank via direct debit.Bring the Skybox and card to Sweden and use a decent size dish as mentioned earlier.
    The slingbox is a decent alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

are there sites that will give you a registered address to use with sky...as my parents already have a sky sub and i dont think its possible to get another sub on the same address....

I know there are ones in the uk but they charge 100 notes on top of the normal sub for the use of their address....

I wouldn't recommend using the commercial address people. RTE and Sky keep a tight rein on the issue of Irish Sky cards to ensure as few as possible of them get outside Ireland. Without an Irish address you won't get much of a chance to get that Irish card.

One alternative would be to use a Northern Ireland address and in many ways this is ideal as you keep the UK EPG and get RTE 1, RTE 2 and TG4. TV3 and 3e are not available this way and a lot of live sporting events and US imports are blocked to NI addresses.

Perhaps RTE are not aware there's a demand for Irish telly abroad? They have managed to stall the proposed RTE International channel for a long time now and its not on their horizon.

I would write to Conor Hayes, RTE, Donnybrook, Dublin 4 and ask him why he continues to deny Irish people abroad RTE by satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

eurofoxy wrote: »
    are there sites that will give you a registered address to use with sky...as my parents already have a sky sub and i dont think its possible to get another sub on the same address....

I know there are ones in the uk but they charge 100 notes on top of the normal sub for the use of their address....

You can use your parents address,just change the spelling slightly and use your own name.If it's a rural address you're sorted.So long as the postman knows where to deliver the card you're ok.;)

Do not go through any of those third party sites when you can do it yourself for nothing.

Advertisement