Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying directly to colleges?

Options
  • 07-06-2011 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I missed the cao deadline as I wasn't planning on going back to college yet but my circumstances have changed and I would now like to start in September if at all possible.

I heard that you can apply directly to colleges about getting a place? Just wondering if this is true & if so, how would I go about doing this or where do I look to find the information?

Totally confused by the whole thing at the mo!

Comments

What are you hoping to study? Have you leaving cert points ? I'm not too sure about applying to colleges directly, CAO is usually the way to go for undregraduate degrees/certs/diplomas in most colleges. There are some private colleges who offer courses which aren't in the CAO system which you could apply for directly I'm sure.

However, there is the 'vacant places' facility in the CAO. What this means is, that, once the CAO offers have been made for courses, if there are fewer applicants than places, the college can advertise these 'vacant places' you would have to wait until at least round 1 of the CAO in August to find out exactly what these courses will be. I know about this, because, a guy I know who hadn't applied at all to CAO a few years ago got into Dundalk IT to study for a degree in Computer Games development (I think)...he had written off his chances of going back to college that year, but in 'vacant places' on the CAO website it was advertised in August of that particular year. :)

It depends on what you want to study though, if it's for a course like Arts in UCD or Medicine in TCD (just to name them off the cuff), there won't be a hope of a vacant place in those courses in August as they're so popular. You will obviously have to wait until next year to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ditzyfitzy

Well I was hoping to study computing in DIT, its a 4 year level 8 course. I have gone through the CAO in the past and have leaving cert points too, more than enough for the course!

Would the best option be just to contact the college and see if they would take an application outside of the CAO..??

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

ditzyfitzy wrote: »
    Well I was hoping to study computing in DIT, its a 4 year level 8 course. I have gone through the CAO in the past and have leaving cert points too, more than enough for the course!

Would the best option be just to contact the college and see if they would take an application outside of the CAO..??

Yes, I'd definitely get onto the college today and speak to someone about it.

Exactly give the DIT admissions office a buzz ASAP, let them hear you out. At least having the points to do the course from before may be in your favour, but only they will be able to tell you for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maidonamission

Hi there,
    You don't mention if you are unemployed but if you are you may be interested in some of the free degree (and other level) course places being offered through Springboard (bluebrick.ie will give you the link) There's def stuff on there for DIT and computing and could be worth applying to as even a back up in case the course you want doesn't come up through vacant places on the CAO. Another option for you could be doing some kind of lower level course as a prep for university - PLC colleges sometimes still have places (though you may not hear from them til they reopen in August) and then apply through the CAO as normal for Sept next year. I would never recommend to take on a degree course just 'cos it's the only one with places still available - you only get one go of "free fees" and 4 years is a long time to be doing a course that isn't what you really wanted!
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

NCI (National College of Ireland) take applications direct and have some very good computer courses (so I'm told), they don't go through the CAO for mature students, they had a deadline, but I'm sure they would consider applications as not all mature students will take them up on the offer of a place, but get on to them before CAO results come out, or they'll be filled up very quickly. They also qualify for the free fees.

Most if not all private colleges accept late applications, like DBS etc., but obviously you have to pay a few thousand on fees.

Advertisement