Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would previous owner do this?!

Options
  • 07-06-2011 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, it's me again, sorry to bother you lads again, but so far you were good source of info. ;)

So amyway, we checked one property few days ago, it was prety damn nice place with 1 acre of land and very cheap.

Weird thing I found: previuos owner took all carpets out, took all the tiles off the bathroom and left it with original wood trimming.

Estate agent said that: you would be putting in new stuff anyway...

Is that normal? Why would previuos owner go to all the hassle? I really doubt those tiles so expensive that he decided to take them with him... Misses just had a joke: maybe someone god killed in bathroom. I was like: muhahahahah, ...... Wait.....

Funny thing is: in the add used pictures are of fully finished house, and I took few pictures for myself so I can compare it now. Pictures in add were Deffenetly done 2-4 years ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Bit strange all right - suppose the carpets could have had stains and stuff from over the years so he thought it might look better with them removed.
    I've never heard of someone taking down tiles before though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its the old saying "nowt as strange as folk"

I went sell agreed on my house but it took 6 months to close the sale, during those 6 months the owner, put up wood panelling all over the bathroom and painted it a really dark brown. he also put up some horrendous wall paper and painted the doors purple :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

irishbird wrote: »
    its the old saying "nowt as strange as folk"

I went sell agreed on my house but it took 6 months to close the sale, during those 6 months the owner, put up wood panelling all over the bathroom and painted it a really dark brown. he also put up some horrendous wall paper and painted the doors purple :confused:

I actuolly loled m8. I domt expect such shock, but I still would love to know the story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Landlords do crazy things-never found a reason for it! One of mine painted our magnolia (nice, spacious and neutral) bedroom a dark royal blue. Very strange.

Another decided to put latch locks on the outside of all the bedroom doors. :s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

A friend of mine was friendly with a Cavan man. One day he called around to him and saw he was stripping wallpaper. He said, after he recovered from the shock of seeing him apparently spending money on his house, "are you re-decorating, Mick?" The reply was " No, I'm moving".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Bought my house from a continental guy
    When i got the keys and got into the house everything was gone curtains carpets ect except bathroom and kitchen
    When i contacted him he told me its normal in my home country to hand over the house empty
    We re use the items in our new home if usable otherwise we dump it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, this isn't unheard of. Many people will have stories of coming into houses and finding everything completely stripped - taps, toilets, wood floors, curtain rails, lightbulbs, you name it.

There are some skinflints out there who'll take everything that they previously paid for, even if they're not sure if they can use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Kosseegan wrote: »
    A friend of mine was friendly with a Cavan man. One day he called around to him and saw he was stripping wallpaper. He said, after he recovered from the shock of seeing him apparently spending money on his house, "are you re-decorating, Mick?" The reply was " No, I'm moving".

Another normal thing from the continent
    You can do anything in your rented house but when you are moving out you have to remove all the nails and screws out of the walls or sealings fill all the holes and repaint the house in neutral colors

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

Could it be that the carpet and tiles were in a really bad condition and possibly deterring the viewer? When it's been stripped off potential buyer could see it as a clean canvas for his ideas/colours to be applied and would possibly find it more attractive?

We recenty viewed a very old house and I think I would have had a better impression if there were no carpets/tiles...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

Heh, the carpets and tiles were probably appalling and the previous owner was too cheap to replace them just to sell.

TBH, I agree with the agent. Never saw a house where I wouldn't replace all flooring and tiles the second I bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I wish the previous owner of our house had removed the carpets when she moved out – she was a heavy smoker and my god they were rank – I very nearly got sick when I was removing them.

The bathroom was wallpapered as well so would have loved if that had been removed – had to spend 2 whole days stripping it – I’d never seem wallpaper in a bathroom before, but apparently you can get special stuff that’s water-resistant, unfortunately it makes it very hard to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My monies on murder, proper CSI job that. probable bleached everything too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To take the thread in a positive direction

I've heard this from about four people in work. Seemed to have been a little tradition that sprung up in Ireland

When you sell your house you leave a bottle of wine (cheap, under 10 euro stuff) and two glasses in the fridge and a note "enjoy your new home"

And when you sell you do the same :)

Heard it a few times and read about it here. Ah bless

A shame the OP's seller wasn't like this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

mikemac wrote: »

I've heard this from about four people in work. Seemed to have been a little tradition that sprung up in Ireland

When you sell your house you leave a bottle of wine (cheap, under 10 euro stuff) and two glasses in the fridge and a note "enjoy your new home"

Common enough during the bubble when the sellers were making €€€€ on the house sale, less likely now when people are having to put all their savings into paying off the NE just to be able to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

If someone's left you a bottle of wine, you've paid too much.

If they've taken the lightbulbs out, you've gotten a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Tiles and carpets can be extremely expensive.

what fridge m8? :D

he took tiles, do you think he left fridge? ;)

but i see where you coming from, its a lovely idea and it would be cool tradition.

a bit offtopic, but i checked 4 properties today, this time with more attention. the house we thought was sold, actuolly still for sale, agent got some problem with daft.ie. So we are prety sure to jump that ship, but then we checked last house... it goes cheap, very cheap, but it needs some work on it, and it can be some amazing house.

so i am back to squire one.... i thought getting aproved morgage is a hard part... feck no... finding a house is just brutal...

oh yeah add this: i like old type small cottage in the middle of nowhere. she likes big modern speciuos house... god dammit...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my parents done this when they sold their house and also left chocolate for the children.

mine left me cigerette butts on the floors, inch thick grease on the kitchen tiles and a shed full of ****e :(

but my next door neighbours called in with a card and a bottle wine but also told me the front sitting room window had fallen out the week before and was only held in with pieces of wood, and that there was a major mouse problem in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Following on from your comment I've heard it being mentioned a few times that its very bad luck to move into a new house on a Friday. So ShadowHearth if your the supersticious type you'll know to steer clear of moving in on a Friday if you do buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

A friend of mine moved into a house, not alone had the lightbulbs gone...but so had the light fittings as well, leaving the wires hanging!!

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »
    my parents done this when they sold their house and also left chocolate for the children.

mine left me cigerette butts on the floors, inch thick grease on the kitchen tiles and a shed full of ****e :(

but my next door neighbours called in with a card and a bottle wine but also told me the front sitting room window had fallen out the week before and was only held in with pieces of wood, and that there was a major mouse problem in the house

pro neighours.

off topic again, but last property i checked i did my small sneaky thing. when EA fecked off i just went to the house nearby. there was a lovely older fella living in it. i asked him if he knew anything about house there being sold, and oh my i found out so much. how long is it in biulding state, how it was biult and by who. where they cut corners, why its for sale now. and anather bunch of info on it. back door was not locked, so he showed me inside with a proper biulders view of the situation.

Its not as bad as it sounds, but fella gave me and show me alot.

so my little advice for any person who is on the market to buy a house. allways have a chat with neighours. i actuolly would love to have a bottle of vine or something in my boot, just to give it to people like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I rented a business premises, the previous tenant decided, after hearing that a new photog had moved in, they wanted their carpet back or €200... it was a tiny slot in an indoor market.... Moved all the equipment around to take up the carpet, bought an offcut for €45, haha previous tenant was told to come collect, came and couldnt fit it into the boot..... sour grapes me thinks!

The first house I bought, when I moved in there were holes along the bottom of the walls in one bedroom, holes looked quite fresh too. I filled them in thinking very little of it to find out a few months later the previous owner had a history of drug dealing, think I know where he hid the drugs then, oh an why the garda helicopter liked to hover above my house constantly;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mrmitty

so my little advice for any person who is on the market to buy a house. allways have a chat with neighours. i actuolly would love to have a bottle of vine or something in my boot, just to give it to people like this.

This is excellent advice.
    As someone who has bought and sold many properties over the years, I never completed a purchased without first talking with as many neighbors as possible.
    I would like to add however that it's important to "consider the source".Be aware that there is a possibility of animosity between neighbors and keep this in mind when dissecting the information.
    In other words, take whatever information you collect with a 'pinch of salt'.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

Maybe someone stole the tiles from the house the OP referred to?

I recently viewed a house where all the copper had been nicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

oh yeah add this: i like old type small cottage in the middle of nowhere. she likes big modern speciuos house... god dammit...
    Point to note: "old type small cottage in the middle of nowhere" usually have damp problems - something you won't notice until September. Secondly, if it's old enough, it may be protected. Thirdly, if there's a thatched roof, you may have no choice but to keep it, as often the thatch is protected to keep the countryside look nice, or something. And by f**king gawd, they can be expensive to keep. A relative has found had building a house up the road is cheaper than keeping the thatch in good condition. I think the outside of the house can't be changed too much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sounds like the time an 'easy-going' couple friends of mine moved to Copenhagen and rented an apartment off 2 hippy lesbians. There was some beers and a bag of grass and cig papers waiting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Hey, it's me again, sorry to bother you lads again, but so far you were good source of info. ;)

So amyway, we checked one property few days ago, it was prety damn nice place with 1 acre of land and very cheap.

Weird thing I found: previuos owner took all carpets out, took all the tiles off the bathroom and left it with original wood trimming.

Estate agent said that: you would be putting in new stuff anyway...

Is that normal? Why would previuos owner go to all the hassle? I really doubt those tiles so expensive that he decided to take them with him... Misses just had a joke: maybe someone god killed in bathroom. I was like: muhahahahah, ...... Wait.....

Funny thing is: in the add used pictures are of fully finished house, and I took few pictures for myself so I can compare it now. Pictures in add were Deffenetly done 2-4 years ago.

is the house in Cavan i believe its just standard up there :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tiles and carpets can be extremely expensive.

Sure they can- however once you've cut carpet, or put tiles up- its very very difficult to reuse them elsewhere....... Ditto curtains etc.

OP- bad form on the previous owner to gut the place like that.....

Re: on the continent- yes, its entirely normal, and you are also expected to paint the house in neutral colours. If you're unlucky enough (or lucky enough- depending on your perspective) to live in Switzerland- they have inspectors who will check that your cleaning is up to scratch when moving....... Then again- the tradition of renting a furnished property is quite unusual- aside from in the UK and Ireland its almost unheard of.

Swings and roundabouts.......

smccarrick wrote: »
    Sure they can- however once you've cut carpet, or put tiles up- its very very difficult to reuse them elsewhere....... Ditto curtains etc.

OP- bad form on the previous owner to gut the place like that.....

Re: on the continent- yes, its entirely normal, and you are also expected to paint the house in neutral colours. If you're unlucky enough (or lucky enough- depending on your perspective) to live in Switzerland- they have inspectors who will check that your cleaning is up to scratch when moving....... Then again- the tradition of renting a furnished property is quite unusual- aside from in the UK and Ireland its almost unheard of.

Swings and roundabouts.......

You right there. I know that I am checking not expensive properties, but it's annoying when you come over and it's like a dump, still loads of trash, old plates and some dirty old clothes. Garage is up to the sealing with ****.

I asked ea if it will be removed, and he assured me that it will, but I already have bad impression about house. Why not to clean up and do basic stuff to make it more appealing?! The tyle and carpet thing is just a bit over the top...

Btw I was so surprised when we moved in in to Irish house ( renting ) and we had washing machines, fridge, cooker, plates etc. Back from where I came you get empty Walls and sockets. You rented, but allways had your own stuff: all things mentioned before and closets tables chairs and beds.

Anyway, I am stressing out now. I don't get it, how people enjoying the process of buying house... I am on my limit, tired and stressed out. Now got one property that we bouth love, it's good price and needs minor things for moving in, but all friends and people we know say only one thing: don't live in that town! It's evil! Bad reputation!!! When I ask people who live in there - town like town, has it's own weirdos now and then, but which town doesn't ... This **** does not help me at all lads ... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This **** does not help me at all lads ... :(
    Some of the bad rep may have been gathered in the past, or some may be relevant today. For example Limerick has a bad rep as a few people got stabbed in some of the estates, but other places in the town would probably be okay. No-one will say their town is sh|te - most people will defend their own town.

Advertisement