Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would previous owner do this?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I asked ea if it will be removed, and he assured me that it will, but I already have bad impression about house. Why not to clean up and do basic stuff to make it more appealing?! The tyle and carpet thing is just a bit over the top...

Could it be a re-possessed house? I.e. bank selling it has no interest in making it look good for viewing... I'd insist that a condition of the sale be that the junk be cleared out if going ahead - your solicitor can ensure it gets done then...

Going off-topic, purely out of curiosity, what constitutes "very cheap" for this type of property (with land etc)?

As for bad areas, only town in the south that I've heard bad stories about has 7 letters in it's name that span the alphabet almost entirely and 3 vowels. Don't want to name it as could start a war!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It is normal in some countries to leave a house empty. In Italy, for example, the only thing left in the kitchen would be the sink. So, OP, perhaps the previous owner was non-Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Could it be a re-possessed house? I.e. bank selling it has no interest in making it look good for viewing... I'd insist that a condition of the sale be that the junk be cleared out if going ahead - your solicitor can ensure it gets done then...

Going off-topic, purely out of curiosity, what constitutes "very cheap" for this type of property (with land etc)?

As for bad areas, only town in the south that I've heard bad stories about has 7 letters in it's name that span the alphabet almost entirely and 3 vowels. Don't want to name it as could start a war!

funny enought we checked repossest property and it was coleaned out inside. no trash from previuos owners. the houses that are actuolly owned be some people are all full of crap. :rolleyes:

offtopic again, we decided to go for that property now. i called to EA and told him that i want to go for it, but i will get my friend contractor to have a proper check first. he asked me how much i will pay, he did not sounded happy, just normal ( i thought he would just say something like: good one, we will sort it out!)? i got a bit surprised. i said i will pay full price ( long story short, bank refused my offer which was not to far away from asking price, property is priced to sell and in all fairness for that money it is the best thing we have seen), but he said that he will come back to me tommorow and say if bank happy. is that normal? i thought if i pay asking price the house is mine, or there is some underground game going on? there is no way i will go more then that thought...

offtopic again, we decided to go for that property now. i called to EA and told him that i want to go for it, but i will get my friend contractor to have a proper check first. he asked me how much i will pay, he did not sounded happy, just normal ( i thought he would just say something like: good one, we will sort it out!)? i got a bit surprised. i said i will pay full price ( long story short, bank refused my offer which was not to far away from asking price, property is priced to sell and in all fairness for that money it is the best thing we have seen), but he said that he will come back to me tommorow and say if bank happy. is that normal? i thought if i pay asking price the house is mine, or there is some underground game going on? there is no way i will go more then that thought...

When you say bank, I presume then the bank is the seller of the house? A seller doesn't have to accept an offer if say they changed their mind about wanting to sell the house. But if this is not the case and there are no other bidders then their original asking price wasn't genuine and the auctioneer can get in touble for this kind of carry-on as far as I know. What's likely happening is that the auctioneer is getting in touch with other folk who viewed the house to try and start a bidding war. If there are no other bids and this drags out, give the seller a deadline to decide whether they want to accept your offer or not.

Emm it's from EA, auctionier. But property was repossessed and now EA is selling it for a bank, same way he would sell for anather person. If he starts a bidding war I will just go away as I really don't want to be involved in that crap and no way I will go over my price. So far that EA was really good and very helpful, but you newer know.

So this is a bit off then so? Pretty much he was suppose to say: very good sir, when you will be here to close the deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If he tries to start a bidding war, reduce the offer by a few grand. The days of gazumping are supposed to be over.

tricky D wrote: »
    If he tries to start a bidding war, reduce the offer by a few grand. The days of gazumping are supposed to be over.

Gazumping?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gazumping?
    Gazumping is when the seller sells the house to someone else for a higher price AFTER they have accepted your bid.

ie: EA accepts your bid. 5 days later, EA tells you house has been sold to someone else who offered €15,000 more. Goodbye.

tricky D wrote: »

Nice one... Even better, tell him your offer stands for 24 hours only and then reduces by say 2.5k a day after that point!

Being curious again into how low prices have gotten, is the property in the 100s, 200s or 300s (of k)?

Less then 100k m8. Will need just painting inside and you can live in it, then do bits by bits.

• Advertisement

As the TV licence ad goes, "that makes me sad"...!

Anyway, good luck with it, I can't see it losing value onless the gov starts giving out homes to everyone for free!!

As the TV licence ad goes, "that makes me sad"...!

Anyway, good luck with it, I can't see it losing value onless the gov starts giving out homes to everyone for free!!

I dont know that add m8 lol. Is that in bad or good way? :)

That's why I am buying now, it's cheap property And if it will drop in price it wont be much more then 10-20k.

That's why I am buying now, it's cheap property And if it will drop in price it wont be much more then 10-20k.
    Look at how much it has gone down since 2008 to see how much it can fall by...

the_syco wrote: »
    Look at how much it has gone down since 2008 to see how much it can fall by...

Same house in same estate in front but tidyed up going for 150k I am getting myone for 80k. Ut can't drop below 50k no matter how pessimistic or buyhaters will be.

I dont know that add m8 lol. Is that in bad or good way? :)

That's in a 'I bought similar type property near peak for crazy money'! Aka 'you lucky b@&£$€d!'. Looks to me that that selling price would barely cover the costs of building a house.

That's in a 'I bought similar type property near peak for crazy money'! Aka 'you lucky b@&£$€d!'. Looks to me that that selling price would barely cover the costs of building a house.

Hehe m8, but I think I might be not as lucky as I thought. EA said he will call me back today and say if the other side is happy. I offered a full asking price so I don't see why there is a problem... Still no sign of him.

If I'll get all sorted I'll post or pm a few pics of it. It's not a mansion, but with some tidying it will make a great home for us ;).

I offered a full asking price so I don't see why there is a problem... Still no sign of him.
    If he starts playing ye, tell him your bid is now dropped €20,000 and he can take it or leave it :pac:

Well it's half 6... No Phone call, sort of disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

ShadowHearth: I looked at some cheaper older style property close to Limerick on a bit of land. There are some bargains out there.

They were well priced and in fairly good condition though some work needed to bring them up to scratch obviously.

But the wife was not so keen so did not follow it up with a formal viewing.

up4it wrote: »
    ShadowHearth: I looked at some cheaper older style property close to Limerick on a bit of land. There are some bargains out there.

They were well priced and in fairly good condition though some work needed to bring them up to scratch obviously.

But the wife was not so keen so did not follow it up with a formal viewing.

Give your wife a good slap and tell her to do what she told too! ;)

Just messing. It's a shame m8. Me and misses are very determent to get a house. There. Is plenty of property for sub 100k, usually if it's 100k it means 70-80 will take it.

If you don't mind doing some work, then there is a sea of bargains. Or even if you dont mind to live in a place which need few Walls painted and carpets cleaned or changed.

I know I will be hunt down soon by antibuing army here, but I think if you are looking to buy a home, not an some investment to expect resell it in few years, then you can find some nice deals. Not a mansions, but solid homes ;).

There is not much more room left to go down on 50-80k properties.

I even checked a house for 55k current bid. Which needed anather 20k and you would have a huge 4 bedroom bungalow with almost 1 acre of land. Damn site alone would cost 70k...

• Advertisement

I know I will be hunt down soon by antibuing army here
    I can't see them hunting you if you go for the sub 100k, to be fair.

Some of the sub 100k places you see go would be sold for upwards of 200k in Dublin, and people will think it's a bargain because a) it was €550,000 (slight exaggeration) during the boom b) it's in X area.

Hehe m8, but I think I might be not as lucky as I thought. EA said he will call me back today and say if the other side is happy. I offered a full asking price so I don't see why there is a problem... Still no sign of him.

If I'll get all sorted I'll post or pm a few pics of it. It's not a mansion, but with some tidying it will make a great home for us ;).

2 things. 1) Tell auctioneer you've found something else for less and are under pressure to bid on it if interested. Give no details but say that while you prefer the house he's selling, this other house is the next best thing and you don't want to lose out on both. 2) Careful with disclosing details of property as you don't own it till at least a deposit is paid to auctioneer but really till contracts are signed...

2 things. 1) Tell auctioneer you've found something else for less and are under pressure to bid on it if interested. Give no details but say that while you prefer the house he's selling, this other house is the next best thing and you don't want to lose out on both. 2) Careful with disclosing details of property as you don't own it till at least a deposit is paid to auctioneer but really till contracts are signed...

Cheers m8. We are sort of upset, but we wait till Monday. Then we just walk away if will try something. He was really good EA and I am shocked this is happening, I might Be just too bitchy now, but I expected a bit more attention then that after I said: I am buying this for full price...

W still got 2.5 months to find property, and our savings only growing not going down, so I don't see bank refusing us In reapplying if we wont find something good in this time. We still tried only 1 auctioneer. We like that property, but if bid will g more then we want to pay we will walk away too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

I think some of these EAs will soon be out of business with their lacksadaisical/incompetent approach to selling houses in the current market!

up4it wrote: »
    I think some of these EAs will soon be out of business with their lacksadaisical/incompetent approach to selling houses in the current market!
    As some may be taxed as "self-employed", I can see those having no choice but to stay in the business...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

There is not much more room left to go down on 50-80k properties.
    Just because it's fallen by 50% doesn't mean it can't fall by another 50%.

50% of a €50k property is €25k, I'm happy for you that you're doing so well that that is an insignificant amount of money for you.

Just because it's fallen by 50% doesn't mean it can't fall by another 50%.

50% of a €50k property is €25k, I'm happy for you that you're doing so well that that is an insignificant amount of money for you.

Rright if you expect a liveable house to cost 25k then you can join the deluded thread m8. They are there for different reasons, but you ca really fit in there.

P.s I am looking for a home, not investment.

Rright if you expect a liveable house to cost 100k then you can join the deluded thread m8.
    Fixed that for you.

Also the fact that you're looking for a home not an investment makes no difference -- you still don't want to pay over the odds. A loaf of bread is not an investment, but you'd still be pretty stupid to pay €100 for one.

Fixed that for you.

Also the fact that you're looking for a home not an investment makes no difference -- you still don't want to pay over the odds. A loaf of bread is not an investment, but you'd still be pretty stupid to pay €100 for one.

You want to tell me: 3/4 bed house in nice estate, in a small town that is not I'm the middle of nowhere, that you can move in tomorrow will cost less then brand mew ford focus.

Damn you are good m8.

• Advertisement

You want to tell me: 3/4 bed house in nice estate, in a small town that is not I'm the middle of nowhere, that you can move in tomorrow will cost less then brand mew ford focus.

Damn you are good m8.
    A Ford Focus? Try a house for the price of a liter of milk. Turns out high unemployment, depopulation, property taxation and mass foreclosures make many properties essentially worthless. It's just lucky we have none of those things happening or imminent in this country!

Advertisement