Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sat 16 miles LSR

Went to the Phoenix Park and met Mr Slow, Meno, Nules and Pistol for my first boards group session.

It was a good LSR with the pace increasing every mile, think we started at a pace of 10.20 and the last mile was 8:30. Average pace for the run was 9.30.

No complaints from the calf either so all good, will keep to the 3 day week session till end of the month, two of the sessions will be speed work.

Really enjoy this run with the group and will be back more for more groups sessions after the 5 mile race series in the park.

Will to do LSR on Thursday this week as be down home on Sat to bring my Dad up for the match, lets hope we can do what our neighbours Kilkenny did!!

Thanks again for the run on Sat and will see ye all in a few weeks.

Tuesday Night Club night

Todays run was shorter than planned mainly due to not getting home late because of a car crash at ConColbert Road. Eventually got home and make a quick dinner for the wife as she is not well.

Off then went for the run. I thought i would of got a mile warm up in before the club arrived but no luck they were early !!! So got .6 of a mile in. After a few 100m warm up sprints we started a 20 min tempo run, the same as last week.

Kept to a pace of 7.25 this time which was an improvement on my last two and did 2.8 miles in the 20 mins. Did another .6 mile of warm down as in hurry home.

In total it was a short session but the tempo shows improvement on the way again and speed picking up.

Pretty happy with it for that reason.

Next run is Thursday with 9 miles including a 5 mile tempo. After this week this tempo will come every second week.

Thanks for reading this.

Average_Runner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Just catching up on your log. Keep up the good work.

Thursday Night

Tonight was a 5 mile tempo with 2 miles warm up and 2 miles cool down.

This is the last week where 2 tempo sessions are involved but I just felt Tuesday club session was too short.

So did this run in my local park, some nice small hills so a good course.

2 miles warm up was at 8.41 pace.

5 miles tempo was at 7.34 pace, first mile was a bit too fast but after that it even out. Really happy with this as 11 secs per mile faster than last weeks and getting close to the target of 7.30 again.

2 mile warm down was at 9.58 pace, a nice big wind got up as heading home so glad I was going home and i missed the rain!!

Really happy with this session, starting to feel good again and feel like i am going somehwere.

Next run is LSR on Sat with 6 miles slow and 10 miles at pmp hopefully :)

See ye all on Sat morning.

Thanks for reading this.

Average_Runner

Sat LSR 15 miles
    Met up with some of the boards crowd again for a session.

Legs felt heavy enough on Sat morning before I started out, probably after the tempo on Thursday.

Started off with a 5 mile LSR pace run and then at the car park we broke up into groups for our own PMP runs. Unfortunately I was the only one going for 10 miles @ 8 min runs.

Managed to keep the 8min pace easily enough till I hit Wellington Hill, it seem to of zap my legs. Going back up Chesterfield avenue legs just got heavy and i lost the 8 min pace. Decided to do 8 miles instead and when i got back around to S bends at 8 mile mark i eased off, pace finished at 8.10. Also think i get bored on these runs on my own so hopefully I have more people in this group next time when doing PMP.

Eased into a slow 1.5 miles run back at the car park to meet the rest of the boards gang.

Next week is recovery week and 5 mile race but not sure if i jsut run or race this yet!!

Thanks again to all the boards gang for meeting up on sat and thanks for reading this.

• Advertisement

Tuesday Night 12 mile LSR

This week is my recovery week. So LSR was 12 miles. Did it quiet slow at 8:59 pace and it took 1:47:52. It ws quiet a boring run but a lovely evening.

Next up is a 6 mile general run and then the 5 miler in the park.

Thanks for reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

What time are you going for in the 5 miler?

I havent made my mind up yet.

I am afraid if i race my calf might flair up again but I somehow cant see myself settling in to a race and taking it easy. :D

If all goes well i should hit 35 somewhere. Did 35:30 at the rte 5 mile race but the docklands did a 37:52 !!! Both were flat courses.

What you going for? Your flying in training last Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I havent made my mind up yet.

I am afraid if i race my calf might flair up again but I somehow cant see myself settling in to a race and taking it easy. :D

If all goes well i should hit 35 somewhere. Did 35:30 at the rte 5 mile race but the docklands did a 37:52 !!! Both were flat courses.

What you going for? Your flying in training last Sat.

As close to 34 as I can get, I'd break it on a flat course I reckon but the last 2 miles are going to test me.

Thursday Night

Decided to do a general 5 miler ahead of Sat. Didnt push on this and did an average pace of 8.14, in a time of 41:49 or so. The last mile i did a pick of pick me up mile at 7.44.

Not a bad session so be interesting to see how the 5 miler goes.

Thanks for reading this.

• Advertisement

Sat 5 mile race in the Park

My approach to this race was to just pace it and be sure I get in the 35 min area.

So start up off the sub 40 min group. First mile was a 7:24, quite slow but due to the crowd mainly but it was grand.
    Second mile I did it in 7:07 and the third in 6:54. The fourth mile was in 7:07. I was in a very comfty zone at this stage, going at about 80%.
    At this stage I ahd notice my garmin had register a mile before I hit the mile markers on the course.
    So I came to Kyber all ready for it and did it in 7:10 and the 5 mile mark beep on my watch but i wasnt near the end :( I had .05 mile left on watch and it took 18 secs :(

My time in total was 35:57 which at first i was unhappy as i could of pushed harder. But this was an improvement on the docklands run of 37:58 which jsut proves June is a bad month for me:D

Definetly think my pb of 35:30 can be easily broken now.

Splits were: 7:24, 7:07, 6:54, 7:07 and 18 secs!!

The garmin and my chip times were off by more than 4 secs too!! Garmin started at the start line on the matt and stopped after i crossed the finish line.

Monday 10 mile GA
    Left house at 6.40 and headed from Lucan to City centre with change of gear in my back pack. This was a nice easy run I have to say. Body was good and coast into city quiet easily. Pace was 9:09. had to slow myself down at stages.

Rest of the week plan is 6 mile tempo tomorrow with 2 miles warm up and warm down.

Thursday 3 x1600m 1 min RI and 2 miles warm up and warm down.

Sat 18 miles LSR

Thanks for ready my logs.

PS Weighted myself Sat morning and since i started training back in Jan 1st till last Sat morning i have gone from 92kg to 80kg. Plan is to get to 73kg for the marathon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

PS Weighted myself Sat morning and since i started training back in Jan 1st till last Sat morning i have gone from 92kg to 80kg. Plan is to get to 73kg for the marathon!!!

That is some achievement, aside from the running.

I read some where each pound shed is worth 1 second per mile so 92 down to 73kg is worth over 18 minutes in a marathon!!

(Rather than running maybe we should just sit down and starve ;))

Moving tempo to thursday and going to do a hill session tonight.
    Think its important to do some hill sessions especially with the hills in the second half of the Dublin marathon.

Tuesday Night

Did a hill session with the club last night. We started off with a 1.14 mile warm up and then a 25 min stretch and sprint session.

The hill is very steep and roughly a distance of .16 miles.

Plan was 6 sprints up the hill with 4 min break in between including a jog down the hill.

My times were pretty steady throughout:
    1. 58.56
    2. 56.48
    3. 55.89
    4. 55.09
    5. 56.02
    6. 56.98

Followed with a 1.14 mile warm down and some stretches.

This was a real tough session to say the least and legs are very heavy after it today. Even though I do train in Phoenix Park on Sat a few hill sessions are good to do. Another one next week and then maybe another 2 in september.

Thanks for this log

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

You have 18 on the agenda Sat morning don't ya? I might actually do 18, get the miles in the legs.

Yeah 18 for sat morning. Seems to be a good few for sat morning, so probably all start of together and then for the last 6 or so miles just pick up the pace to around 9min if that suits?

We can work it out on the day, as it is LSR, its more time on the feet than pace.

Which direction are you coming from for the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Yeah, im not too pushed about pace, il be happy to go at whatever pace most want as i hadn't planned this long one.

If people are meeting at papals, i can be there for 9, im coming into the park from hueston side

Tuesday night
    It was my first run since last Tuesday due to illness.

I went for a good tempo run. Did a 2 mile warm up at 8.30 pace and did a 5 mile tempo at 7:38 pace. Was ment to do 6 miles but thought i be pushing it for my first run back as can be weak after illness.

Did a 2 mile warm down of 9:30 and nice half mile walk then.

So a good session and nice to be back.

Thanks for reading my log

Thursday Night

Tonight I decided to do some track work and the plan is to follow the Run less Run Faster speed session on Thursday night.

Did 1.5 miles warm up at 8.40 pace and 1.5 miles warm down at 8.58 pace.

Did 3 x 1600's with 2 min break. Target time was 6.45 - 7.00 according to McMillan

1. 1600m @6:58 started too fast but then eased up too much.
    2. 1600m @6:47 this went to plan, paced well.
    3. 1600 @ 6.52 this went to plan too.

A good session and feels good to be doing speed work on the track

Thanks for reading the log

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Keep up the good work and great weight loss there. 73kg will have you flying around the place. Just don't do what I've been at lately and not eating enough. Horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Slowbie

Hi average runner. Just popping up to say i'm still reading along and keep up the great running! Delighted to see you bounced back from illness no bother - everything is going according to plan :-)

Sat 17 Mile LSR

Met a load of boards runners on Sat and off we went for our Run. A good session and did 17 miles in total. Pace average out at 9:23.

Mon Morning
    Was playing golf the day before, so legs really heavy. Was wanting to do tempo but didnt have it in me, so 6 miles in 8.30.

Might give tempo a miss this week and do the PMP on thursday and two easy 8 mile runs on Tueaday and Friday.

Thanks for reading my log

Tuesday night 7.5 miles 6 miles of it tempo
    Got a massage on Tuesday at lunch time in Eastpoint, good pyhsio I have to say.

So went for run last night think i do 8 easy but then i decided to do a tempo on heavy legs.

Did 1 mile warm up at 8.30 pace

Did 6 miles @ 7.45 pace on a hill enough route. Was tough going and going beyond the 5 mile barrier was a good break thru.

Did a .5 mile more so a walk warm down but was a good session.

16 miles on thursday

Thursday Night PMP Run

15 miles, 5 miles slow and 10 miles PMP.

First major Success in the Program.

After the tough tempo on Tuesday I thought the legs would be havy.

For the slow 5 miles everything felt great, was running at 8.30 pace, couldnt slow down, hit a few hills and managed to slow myself to 8.45 for the average 5 mile pace.

So walk for 200 meters and started the 10 mile run @ 8 min pace.

First two miles was with the wind but never took advantage of it, so did those 2 miles at 7.58.

Next 3.5 miles was the link rd in Lucan, this has rolling hills and open to a wind always, pushed well on the hills and got my pace down 7.55.

6th mile I kept the pace at 7.55 and was bracing myself for the next three miles that i knew would be tough.

Turned the corner for the 7th mile into a strong headon wind but managed to do a 7.50 mile to my surprise and really feeling good.

The eight & ninth mile was up a hill and then into a head on wind and them in 8.06.

The last mile was tough mainly because it was last mile, not special about it but did it in 8.02.

Did the 10 miles in 7.59 average pace so delighted for that, if not for the wind i think i could of hit 7.50.

But really happy with this a nice confidence boost.

Thanks for the reading the log.

Enjoy your run in the park this week boardies and i see ye next weekend.

Friday NIght
    Decided to do a run the night after my LSR, jsut did 6 easy as watch was going to run out of battery. Did the pace average @ 8.50. Was a nice easy run, quite boring but was neeeded.

Monday Morning

Left house around 6.45 with bag on back and headed from Lucan to City Centre. Body felt good and legs enjoyed this run. Had to keep pulling them back as didnt want to go to fast, instead just a general run.
    Pace average 8.57. Happy enough for that hour of the morning.

Tuesday Night

Session with the Club.
    Did 1.5 miles warm up.
    The session was 5 x 1/2 mile fast with two hills at the end and in between a 1/2 mile slow.

1/2 mile warm down home.

Session went well, kinda went off to fast and didnt use the slow lap that well. But a good tough session and got loads out of it.

Thursday Night Tempo Run
    Went to local park for this, a few hills here so a good test too.
    1.5 miles warm up @8.30 pace.

7 mile tempo was done in 52:30 ish.

1 mile - 7:18 A bit fast but always like that at the start
    2 mile - 7.30
    3 mile - 7.25
    4 mile - 7.28
    5 mile - 7.28
    6 mile - 7.25
    7 mile - 7.39 (last one syndrome)

Warm down was 1.5 miles @ 9.15

Was really happy with this, felt good after it too.

20 miles Sat morning next!!

Thanks for the reading the log

Sat 20 mile LSR
    Met alot of the boards gang for the long run.

We did a 6 mile loop, 8 mile loop and a 6 mile loop.
    It was a good run and felt very good after it.
    Pace averaged out at 9.30

Probably my last run with the boards group for awhile with races coming up and my weekends filling up too/

• Advertisement

Monday Morning 10 miler
    From lucan to city centre with the bag on my back.
    Starting to really enjoy these runs now, felt good for the whole run, even after the 20 miler on sat.

Pace average was 8.58.

Advertisement