Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tuesday Club night, 5.5 miles

With the 10 mile race coming up and longford half the following weekend I will have to ease back for the two weeks to ensure legs are fresh for both races.

So did 1.5 miles warm up @8.30 pace.
    Started the club session then which was .5 miles fast with the hills at the end of it and .5 mile session easy. This was done 4 times.

the fast laps were as follows:
    3.24 lap 1
    3.22 lap 2
    3.20 lap 3
    3.15 lap 4.

I love the hilly part at the end of the lap, just kicking on from there.

Really enjoy this session and the easy laps were just easy runs.

Next up is a generic 5 mile run on Thursday

Thanks for reading the log

Thursday Night

Easy 5 mile before sat race.

Just went out and did a nice easy run and on the last mile i picked up the pace without really planning too. Plan was 8.30 pace average but ended up with a 8.18 pace.

A good few people out running in Lucan which is great to see.

Sat 10m Phoenix Park Race
    Crash and Burn

Went into the race feeling confident of getting a 75 min time.
    Started off a 7.30 pace which is grand as this was my tempo run pace. Did a few 7.20 with the down hill section and then 2 7.30. This brought me to the 5 mile mark feeling great going up Wellington hill and then a few metres after the 5 mile mark my legs went. No explanation no warning etc.
    Just went real heavy. I tried to push but nothing there so ran at 8 min pace all the way to get a 77 min time.

Not sure why this happened as did 5 miler pace at 7.08 - 7.15 and was grand I finished, even sprinted up the Kyber. This time i was dizzy and very wrecked.

Only 2 things i think could of affected my performance:
    1. Was too much mileage the week of the race as from the sat before I did 20, 10, 5.5, 5 mile runs. Last run was a Thursday and I did push a bit on the Tuesday.

I dont believe this was the issue as often done good tempo's during heavy mileage. Any options on this?

2. Second thing was something i didnt pay much attention to but for the friday and sat of the race i was coughing a bit in the morning and running nose a bit on Friday. But didnt think much of it. After the race when i got home i did fall apart, a cold seem to of hit me and i was in bed by 9.30 feeling crap. On Sunday I was grand again though????

Thats my story of the 10 miler, still got a pb by more than 2 mins but a disappointed by it.

Longford half this sunday so not running at all this week, to recover and get fresh for it. Really want to break 1.40 but not sure anymore and the time of 3.30 for the marathon is a bit much for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Miles 6 and 7 were tough for everyone, I think. It's a slight drag, not enough to be visible but enough to sap your strength, and it was getting pretty hot by then.

Could be that I am aiming a little too high for myself. Will see what happens in Longford at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Hi AR, Just spotted your log and goiing to keep an eye on it coming up to Dublin. I', doing the P&D 70mile 12 week plan for a 3:30 this year, so I'm sure the days and efforts will be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry things didn't go to plan for you on Saturday, but still a great time! Best of luck in Longford. :)

Friday -- light session before Longford

This was my first run since the 10 miler, it was only to loosen my legs up.
    Did 3.4 miles @8.26 pace. Was still feeling the cold a bit.

Longford Half Marathon

Was a bit worried about this had still the effect of a cold on me. But my aim was to out and see what happens.

First 4 miles were grand, did them at 7.35 pace. Fifth mile was tough on the N5 with wind in my face. 6-9 was tough with a few small hills but kept pace to 3.38.

At this stage i was on target but had to stop to fasten shoe lace, my watch auto pause(anyone know how to turn that off??).

I was feeling confident now and started to push and kept the pace going till 11th mile. Struggle on the 11-12th mile but kicked on the last one and go home in 1:40.03(chip time). Missed my sub 1.40 but considering my cold over the last week I take it.

My watch gave me a time of 1:39:53 with the auto pause and also my ten mile in this race was 76 mins, faster than last Sat by 1.30 mins.

Happy with this run, but i do feel 3:30 is out of reach but we plough on.

Tough 5 weeks ahead now with the last push on training.

Thanks for the log

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

.....Happy with this run, but i do feel 3:30 is out of reach but we plough on.

Thanks for the log

I dunno man! you're not too far off with 5 weeks of hard work still to go! great running so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

One race does not dictate anything it just indicates where you are on the day, 5 weeks to go of serious key training sessions will see you right, save judgement for the series half, if you're feeling good and give it everything then and still don't get the time you want I'd look at changing your goal, until then keep the faith!

Its been two runs that indicate the 3.30 might be too far. But sure we see :)

Cant do the half series run as its my kid first birthday that day so want to spend the day with her.

Will do the Tallaght 5 miler at the start of Oct.

I will start off with the 3.30 group and should be ok till 20 miles and then see what happens.

Your flying anyhow. Hope the hols was good.

Its been two runs that indicate the 3.30 might be too far. But sure we see :)

Cant do the half series run as its my kid first birthday that day so want to spend the day with her.

Will do the Tallaght 5 miler at the start of Oct.

I will start off with the 3.30 group and should be ok till 20 miles and then see what happens.

Your flying anyhow. Hope the hols was good.

The hols were great unfortunately, they ended!

You've got your priorities right, fair play.

Is there any chance of squeezing in a long race in the next few weeks?

Nope there is no chance, just too much on in september. Down home twice over the next two weekends and then the birthday.

After that there is something else i am forgetting.

But will do one or two more pmp's in phoenix park hopefully, both will be a 20 mile run with 14 miles at pmp pace.

That should give me a good indication too.

But in fairness if i got at time of 3.3? i be over the moon.

Nope there is no chance, just too much on in september. Down home twice over the next two weekends and then the birthday.

After that there is something else i am forgetting.

But will do one or two more pmp's in phoenix park hopefully, both will be a 20 mile run with 14 miles at pmp pace.

That should give me a good indication too.

But in fairness if i got at time of 3.3? i be over the moon.

What's your current pb?

For the marathon its 3.47.

Should beat that as I am beating all my times from 2 years ago.

Beat my 10 mile and half marathon time both by over 2-3 mins with a cold on me that i cant get rid off!!:mad:

Tuesday Night

Did a 8 mile session with 6 x 800m sprints in the session also.
    Started off with 1.5 mile jog and then 800m sprint, 800m jog and so on till i got to 7 miles. This was tough as some hills in there too.
    Last mile was a warm down and average pace was 8.06.

This was a tough session after the longford half and wasnt sure if my nose was running faster than me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

I think I know how you feel about the 3:30. I was posting similar times to you in the build up for Cork where I was going for 3:30. I was never convinced I was going to make it but I trained for it so I was going to give it a shot. I think on a good day you would make it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm sure you'll get at least a 3:3X, if you don't do what I do and balls up your nutrition the night before. You've done the training make sure you get all the other things right on the day: diet and hydration, race plan, race-fuel and attitude. Will follow with interest.

outforarun wrote: »
    You've done the training make sure you get all the other things right on the day: diet and hydration, race plan, race-fuel and attitude.

Proposed pub for post race session! :D

Thursday

Did a 12 mile run but was tough. Think the speed session on Tuesday and Longford, along with my cold(now have it 2 weeks) caught up with the legs.
    Used new runners for this run and they cause pains in my feet so I call it a day at 12 before getting injured. Pace was an easy 9 min mile.

Monday
    10 mile run to work with bag on my back. Chnaged the runners also, but guess what, I still have my cold :(

10 miles went ok, just an easy run at 8.56 pace.

Plan for 11 miles tomorrow with 7 miles tempo.

• Advertisement

media_httpwwwepicport_FHyHz.gif.scaled500.gif
    Step right up, folks, and witness the magnificent medicinal miracle of Simpson & Son's patented revitalizing toniiic. Put some ardor in your larder with our energizing, moisturizing, tantalizing, romanticizing, surprising, her-prizing, revitalizing tonic. And for the minimal outlay of one dollar, you can take home a bottle of liquid Lothario, distilled Don Juan, catalytically-carbonated Cassanova. Lock old Rover in the shed, 'cause man has a new best friend in Simpson & Son's revitalizing tonic.

When's the last time I posted an illness???

Mr Slow wrote: »
    When's the last time I posted an illness???

When't the last time I did? :pac:

It's been longer for me, for you it was before Donore I believe! :P God knows what they're pushing on you in that club :pac:

The last 2 months i had a minor bug twice, first time in years! Maybe its the kids fault:D

Will get some stuff at the weekend for it.

Tempo run tonight, god knows how i manage it with the wind out there right now. Should be fun!!

Windy Tuesday Night

Plan tonight was 10 miles in total with 3 miles warm up/down and 7 miles tempo. It was very windy!!!

The 1.5 miles warm up was @8.53 pace in to a strong wind.
    7 mile tempo was @7.38 pace, some stages wind was with me and other times against me.
    1.5 warm down was 9.22 pace.

I did feel like a rag doll out there, getting blown all over the place, but this was a good session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good running. Especially in that wind.

Thursday Night
    Did a easy 10 mile run last night. First night i had my bring visible jacket on me. Was alot warmer out there that the last few nights.

Average pace was 8.28 and time was 1.24:35.

Met some of my club runners doing their own session and have to admit i miss those sessions and the craic. The marathon does cause us to give up alot of things but hopefully be worth it.

• Advertisement

Sat LSR

Plan was 20 miles with 6 miles slow and 14 miles at PMP.
    Last week my long run fell apart due to few things that i put down to tirness from longford.

The week went really well, 2 good 10 mile runs and a great tempo where i felt i could do 17 fast miles instead of 17.

So did the first 6 miles slow. Started the 14 miles for PMP and after 2 miles my legs were dead and felt like breaking in half. Did a further 2 miles at PMP and decided just to run the distance but at 11 miles legs were gone.

4 weeks now since long run over 13 miles, but there was a 10 mile race and half marathon race @7.38 pace.

Not sure if my marathon is over or not as this never happened before.

Advertisement