Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

The 2 races are going to tax you, you then had a speed session midweek, you need a step back week so that you can come back stronger for the remainder of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Plan was for a kinda step back week, as off for the week spending it with the little girl before her first birthday on Sat.

Monday
    Did a medium run of 11 miles at a 8.58 pace. Was a grand run i have to say, quiet boring until i turned head on into the wind, felt like i was going backwards.

Tuesday
    Six miles in total, 1.5 mile warm up.
    5 x1km with 400m walk and 200m jog.
    4 laps were @ 3.59 pace and one @ 4.09 pace.
    Warm down was 1.5 miles

Had wind behind some of my speed sessions and held back a small bit.

Friday
    This was my LSR, plan was 20 miles but did 18 miles.
    Started off all ok, nice sunny weather, then came the downpour, lightening and thunder. I got all seasons.
    Was going well till i got to 14 miles @8.56 pace, then my stomach turned, think it was a cold powerade i got in the shop. Struggled for the last 4 miles, with a few stops. Legs felt really bad I have to say but got 18 in.
    Average pace was 9.04.
    Not a great session but hopefully things will improve and will run sat week in the phoenix park with the boards group, my just get me going a bit longer than on your own.

Thanks for reading the log.

Best of luck to all tomorrow in the half, I be organising my first of many little girls birthday party.

I be organising my first of many little girls birthday party.

Planning on having a lot of daughters?:pac:

ha ha. my wife and megan are enough girls in my house. Running gives me an excuse to get out of the house:)

Monday
    12 miles run from Eastpoint Business Park to Lucan.
    This was a tough run but knew that beforehand, so took it easy. Its basically all up hill from the office to the house and with a wind in your face.

Did an average pace of 9.04. My knees still ache loads after a certain mileage mark. Will see how it goes on Sat when i do the LSR.

Thanks for reading the log

Tuesday
    8 miles @ 8 min pace ie PMP.

Instead of doing intervals i decided to change the run (to stop the boredom) and do an 8 mile PMP.

Run was good, first two miles were way too fast, check my watch at 2 mile mark and it was 7.45, not what i wanted. I eased off for next two miles till i got pace to 8.00.

The rest of the run was grand, kept it at 8.00 which was the target. The reason I eased off after 2 miles was I didnt want to be pushing much on this run and keep the legs fresh for Sat's LSR.

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Got delayed in work, stressful day and another one to follow today.
    Did 6 miles easy when i did eventually get home @ 9.20 pace.
    Also did 5 x100m strides and after 6 miles i did.35 mile stride just to get me home.

Easy session but enough to destress me :D

Sat Day
    LSR 20 miles.

Met 4 people off boards for the early bird session at 8am in Phoenix Park.
    What a beautiful morning it was. We set off at 9.50 pace but this fell to 9.27 quite quickly. We did two loops of 6 and one loop of 8 miles. Each mile we seem to of got quicker and ended up with a average pace of 9.09 at the end.

Second 20 miler of the campaign for me, another one in two weeks.

This was a real good session and thanks to the other boardsie's for a good run.

Thanks for reading my log

Monday 7 miles
    This was a tough session after the weekend, did 2 miles warm up and 2 miles warm down.

Did 4 x 1000m (ment to be 5 but legs were moaning so didnt want to push too much as 12 miler tonight).
    Times were 3.58, 3.59, 4.08(a few obstacles in the way:eek:) 3.57.

Walk for 200m and then jogged for 400m's.

Good session and happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Great running! HOw were the knees on the 20 miler>?

Monday 7 miles
    This was a tough session after the weekend, did 2 miles warm up and 2 miles warm down.

Did 4 x 1000m (ment to be 5 but legs were moaning so didnt want to push too much as 12 miler tonight).
    Times were 3.58, 3.59, 4.08(a few obstacles in the way:eek:) 3.57.

Walk for 200m and then jogged for 400m's.

Good session and happy with it.

Where's your rest day?

• Advertisement

Did nothing on Sunday, and tonights run is now off till tomorrow due to work.

Thursday will be a easy 8 miles and Friday will do nothing.

Did nothing on Sunday, and tonights run is now off till tomorrow due to work.

Thursday will be a easy 8 miles and Friday will do nothing.

I missed that, now you know why I'm called Mr. Slow :o

Wed
    10 miler run, was ment to be a 12 miler yesterday but work commitments but an end to it.

So started out this morning from Lucan to town with my backpack. Legs were heavy and the first mile was @ 9.45. But i was sweating buckets, where did this heat come from???

Managed the 10 miles and got the pace down to 9.07 for the average.

Recovery run tomorrow and not sure what to do on Sat, was planning a PMP but think its a bit much considering i did 20 miles lsr last weekend and another next weekend.

Maybe 13 -15 miles be ideal?

Enter Donadea 10k also for OCt 15th, I blame Krusty and Mr Slow for that :)

Wed
    10 miler run, was ment to be a 12 miler yesterday but work commitments but an end to it.

So started out this morning from Lucan to town with my backpack. Legs were heavy and the first mile was @ 9.45. But i was sweating buckets, where did this heat come from???

Managed the 10 miles and got the pace down to 9.07 for the average.

Recovery run tomorrow and not sure what to do on Sat, was planning a PMP but think its a bit much considering i did 20 miles lsr last weekend and another next weekend.

Maybe 13 -15 miles be ideal?

Enter Donadea 10k also for OCt 15th, I blame Krusty and Mr Slow for that :)

I'm doing 20 Sunday with 10 @ 7:45 if you're interested?....you can't buy that sort of training ;)

I cant do sundays in the park as the daughter has swimming class, so always go to that.

Will run around lucan on sat morning, do the shopping at 8 am for the warm up:rolleyes:

Thursday
    8 miles easy tonight with 6x100m strides.

Nothing too exciting to report, average pace was 9.05.

Relaxed into the run and the last two miles I slowed it down totally to make the last bit a recovery run.

Sat Day LSR

Plan was 4 miles slow and 12 miles @ PMP pace of 8.00.

Did the 4 miles nice and slow and weather seemed to be holding off. Had a light running jacket on also to keep me try if the worst did happen.

Well 1 mile into the 12 PMP the worst did happen, the sky flooded down on me. My jacket did little to protect me but i ploughed on.
    First 5 miles were at 7.45 pace, hadnt really notice it. But the rain drench gear eventually took its toll on me so i slowed pace down as didnt want knees to flair up. Runners were just a big puddle with very wet socks and orthidics arent great in rain :)

Got to 11 miles and instead of turning into the park for one last mile i turned in my house. Just too miserable out there and the hot shower just teased me in.

Happy with this session of 11 miles @ 8 min pace with very wet heavy gear. Could of done another 3 miles as was fresh but since did 20 last week and 20 next week, better to leave it ahead when you can before you injure yourself in the bad conditions.

Do people think i better doing a 20 mile LSR next weekend to make it my third 20 miles or do anpther PMP of 18 miles in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm doing an easy 20 next weekend, 2 PMP runs in a row is probably a bit much

Just feel weather effected today but then again tough conditions can only make us stronger.

Roll on Donadea 10k

• Advertisement

Monday 12 Mile Run
    Ran from eastpoint to Lucan yesterday evening. 12 miles up hill into a nice wind. It was a good run and the average pace was 8.53.

Found it very odd going thru the Phoenix Park with Chesterfield Avenue so empty.

Thursday
    10 Miles with 1200m x 4

Legs were tired before heading out, been a tough week with working late etc, just generally wrecked from it. Didnt get a chance to do 7mile recovery on Tuesday and will give it a miss now as way too tired.

Wasnt in the mood or looking forward to this run, due to the weather last night, but it had to be done.:o

So first 3.5 miles were with the wind most of the time so did it at 8.43 as warm up.

Got to the local track which was a mess with the weather(its a gravel track).

Did 4 x 1200 and pace was 5.16, 5.17, 5.25, 5.22.

A bit on the slow side considering 1km last week were 3.57 but this time i had a gail force wind against me on the back straight of the track. It was tough in the weather and the rain didnt help on the last 2.
    Really wanted to quit after second one but I am too thick and stubborn to do that :D and then i be thick with myself for the rest of the night for quitting. Cant win!!!

The 3.5 miles home was against the wind most of the way, what fun that was, pace was 9.54.

In a way it was a good session but jsut didnt enjoy it, if you know what i mean.

20 miles on Sunday, but a bit of travelling to do before that.

Sunday 20 Mile LSR
    Run was put off to Sunday as had to make a quick visit home.
    Plan was to run this easily as had 3 tough weeks of running with a 20/16 and now this 20. Met a friend from local club and we set off at 7.30am.

Started off in middle of lucan and at a slow pace of 9.50, we kept this pace thru the hills till about mile 5. From here the pace started to increase as did the wind. Can someone please turn off the wind.

Headed up towards city west and then with 6 miles to go we turned for home. The last 5 miles the pace pick up without even realising or feeling it. Miles went from 8.45 to 8.17, each one getting faster. The last mile we eased off and did 8.37.

Average pace in total was 8.23 and total time was 3.08.

Was happy with this run, legs seem strong and one gel for this run.

Taper now but the weekend looks tough with 10k race and 16 miles the following day. Bring it on:rolleyes:

Sunday 20 Mile LSR
    Run was put off to Sunday as had to make a quick visit home.
    Plan was to run this easily as had 3 tough weeks of running with a 20/16 and now this 20. Met a friend from local club and we set off at 7.30am.

Started off in middle of lucan and at a slow pace of 9.50, we kept this pace thru the hills till about mile 5. From here the pace started to increase as did the wind. Can someone please turn off the wind.

Headed up towards city west and then with 6 miles to go we turned for home. The last 5 miles the pace pick up without even realising or feeling it. Miles went from 8.45 to 8.17, each one getting faster. The last mile we eased off and did 8.37.

Average pace in total was 8.23 and total time was 3.08.

Was happy with this run, legs seem strong and one gel for this run.

Taper now but the weekend looks tough with 10k race and 16 miles the following day. Bring it on:rolleyes:

P&D Taper is about 3 days long ;) See you in Donadea!

Tuesday 8 miles with club.
    5km warm up @ 5.41 pace.

The next part of the run was 6 x 3 mins fast, 6 x 2 mins recovery(no walking allowed).

This was a good session and good speed work drills. Some nice hills in the session for the 3 mins fast.

Finished up with 3.2km warm down home, average pace 6.10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Just read quickly through your log, thanks for putting it up. I'm also trying for 3.30 in DCM so I'm interested in the training of others with the same goal. Our times are very similiar over the shorter distances, what's the target for the 10k on the weekend? I'm thinking of doing a 10k on sun if it fits in with the wife's plans and work allows. Not Donadea unfortunately, its too far away. I would try for sub 44.

I notice your form has been a bit uneven, do you think the high milage of P&D has worn you down? I'm at the other extreme, my milage has been much lower as I really only started serious marathon training after Gaelforce West in August. I realise I'm pushing it bigtime to attempt 3.30 in the circumstances for a first marathon but we'll see.

Hopefully I'll get to say hello on the 31st. All going well we'll be running in close proximity throughout:)

Thanks again for sharing.

HI;

Cheers for reading the log.
    My form has been up and down due to a number of issues:
    - trying to do too much in week before race and after:D
    - baby waking up on night of races, but this is a good thing, cause when she does this i seem to run better:D. She better wake up friday night!!
    - For the 5 mile in the park i didnt push.
    - For the 10 mile, i trained too much that week and then a cold knocked me out.
    - For the half it was the week after the 10 and still suffering from the cold. Happy with that run though, as was conserative at the start and speeded up after 10 miles.
    - For this weekend 10k, did a hard session on Tuesday night but easy session tonight. Hope to do some 44 if not a sub 43.

Alot of heavy miles in the legs now but after this weekend things will ease down and I feel stronger now than ever. Touch wood.

Yeah hopefully all the 330 organise a meeting spot somewhere.

snailsong wrote: »
    J
    Hopefully I'll get to say hello on the 31st. All going well we'll be running in close proximity throughout:)

Get yourself into McGrattans afterwards and you'll get to meet everyone!;)
    Alot of heavy miles in the legs now but after this weekend things will ease down and I feel stronger now than ever.

Believe me, you're not going to feel better next week, you'll feel worse. 10k race with 16 the next day and then the 3 x 1 mile next week at 5k pace! Krusty put it well about P&D, he said he never gets to the start line feeling fresh but hasn't missed a target by more than a few seconds.:)

I wont be doing the 3x1 mile session, instead i go to the club and do 6x 3 min fast and 2 min slow. Its a tough workout but at least with a group i go that bit faster.

Usually hit 800m - 775m in the 3 min session with the hills etc.

• Advertisement

I wont be doing the 3x1 mile session, instead i go to the club and do 6x 3 min fast and 2 min slow. Its a tough workout but at least with a group i go that bit faster.

Usually hit 800m - 775m in the 3 min session with the hills etc.

Chicken?:P

Advertisement