Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ha ha.:mad:

Thursday Night
    7 mile recovery run with 5 strides of 100m.
    A nice recovery run, pace was nice and slow average 9.30.
    Felt the cold near the end, winter is coming.

Donadea on Sat and then 16 on Sunday is the plan.

Thanks for reading the log

Donadea 10k
    Expected to break my 10k PB today which is 44:17.

Did the 1st k in 4:20 which was the planned early pace. Something was up though as legs fell like deadwood already.
    2k-3k saw pace slow to 4:26 which should be comfort zone but my quads were sore and legs weight a ton.
    After 5k pace was down to 4:31 and i wanted to walk of the course as body was in bits.
    6-8k was grand as was just a jog but starting to make in roads on the group in front of me.
    8-10k my legs were gone, every step was hell and pace was down to 4:41.

Finish time was 47:03, a race to forget!!!

Reason for my bad race, was mostly down to a tough 3 weeks with 2x20 and 1x 16 with 12 PMP. Some tough speed sessions each week also.

Plan is to do a slow run tomorrow and then take it easy with a 2 5 milers this week and one 12 on the sat.

I need to get legs fresh for the Marathon

3.30 is a bit of dream i think now but a 3.3x is still possible.

Thanks to Donadea for a great race and the apple pie and chocolate milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You just need to rest, just stick to recovery pace for the next few days, drop the LSR and don't run farther than 4 miles at a time and by midweek next week they should start coming around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You should probably go out at 3.40 pace, try to pick it up at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

We all have bad days, you might be a lot better after a few days rest. Keep her lit.

Aye, we do, backing off in the training now to give legs some recovery time. Will do a few small runs and a 12 miler at weekend. One run next week and hope legs get fresh.

From reading the P&D book it does seem like i over trained with the symptons he describes, but sure thats life. Just want that pint on the 31st of Oct!!

Aye, we do, backing off in the training now to give legs some recovery time. Will do a few small runs and a 12 miler at weekend. One run next week and hope legs get fresh.

From reading the P&D book it does seem like i over trained with the symptons he describes, but sure thats life. Just want that pint on the 31st of Oct!!

As I said keep it all at recovery pace for the short runs and under 10 miles for the long run next week, you should start to feel yourself coming around, I've pushed close to overtraining a few times and this works a charm.

Its a funny thing though, you look back and you see it as obvious as anything, but at the time you dont. Thursday slow run and my legs felt it but took no notice of it.
    Waking up wrecked for the last week or more and also was starting to hate the training!!!

Or maybe it was all in my head with taper madness!!!

Tuesday Night
    After Sats bad run it was time to do recovery for Dublin.

6.5 miles at 8.44 pace. Not too bad type of run. Had my hat on last night for the first time. Definetly can feel the cold in the air but enjoyed it.

Thursday I do 5 miles recovery.

Left knee is also niggling me a bit since the run on sat, hopefully its nothing.

Thanks for reading my log

• Advertisement

Thursday Night
    Did 5 miles easy around lucan. From Griffeen into the village, up the big hll towards woodies and back up the long drag of ballyown rd where there is always a wind against even when no wind anywhere else:rolleyes:

This was another recovery run in an attempt to get the legs fresh for the marathon. Not sure if they are coming around or not or if its taper madness and me doubting myself.

Left knee still sore when i run and the quads are a bit sore too even after the foam roller.

Pace was 9.01 for the 5 miles.

Plan is do 12 at weekend, then have an epsom salt bath. Physio on Wednesday for Massage and a quick check up. Run on Wednesday and then wait till Monday!!

Thanks for reading my log

I found before Cork that as I went through taper all of the runs became horrible, the only exception was the 12 miler the week before where I ran the first 7 in the horrors but then everything clicked and I was flying. I reckon the body gets used to going long over and over and you're only shaking off the cobwebs on the short runs when you're done.

Touch wood!!
    I will enjoy the day out anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Hey AR, just reading thru your log on a quiet friday - you have a similar story to me. DCM09 in 4.21, kildare this year in 3.42 and eyes on DCM 11 for 3.30 but the last week or so have been terrible! Legs like lead and a head thats sick of feeling worn out after 5 miles - bummed out of my last LSR last sunday at 14miles...just didnt have the legs or heart for it and actually felt relief when I stoppoed running and slitherred my pathetic way back home! So good luck with your last taper week and i have a feeling reading through this that you will click on the day and hit your 3.30, you never know......if all goes well....

Sunday
    Plan was 12 miles easy. Kinda slept in so had to go straight from bed to the run. No food, no real wake up, just out I went.
    Did the first 10 miles in 8.31 pace so was quiet happy with that. Didnt push it just took it handy.

The last 2 miles i stopped and decided to do PMP for them. Before I knew it i was hitting pace of 7.35 so i backed off and average a pace of 7.50 for those 2 miles.

A good session, knees ache a bit still, but thats life.

Next run is Wednesday and thats the last before the big day.

You know you're on taper?:P

Aye, but sure what can you do, you always doubt yourself!!

A friend of mine did 10 miles PMP on Sat.

always wonder should i of done that:D

Isnt it great when self doubt comes in:rolleyes:

Aye, but sure what can you do, you always doubt yourself!!

A friend of mine did 10 miles PMP on Sat.

always wonder should i of done that:D

Isnt it great when self doubt comes in:rolleyes:

Keep the crazies out dude.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Keep the crazies out dude.

Way too late for that! Sure I let ye all in a long time ago:rolleyes:

Wednesday
    6 mile run

Did 2 miles easy at 9.02 pace.
    3 miles at PMP pace
    1 mile @ 9.22

Nice run, and my last run I say before the marathon.

No excitment or nerves towards the marathon, a bit of fear alright:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Good Luck on Monday Average_Runner!

Thursday
    Had my sports massage. All good and body in good shape for monday.

Stretch out all the muscles etc

The Big Day
    Started off a t 8.00 pace but dropped back down to 8.10 after first mile as i wanted to pace this well. All went well till South Circular Rd and then the legs started to ache again. Once i got to Wakinstown I pulled out. It wasnt an easy decision but my legs were aching and drained.

Definetly wasnt a pace issue as went slower than my PMP runs etc.

I was very tempted to not start the marathon for some other reasons outside running. Also think the Brooks Gylcerin 9 runners arent for me, switchng back to Dyad this weekend.

Devasted after pulling out but its not the end of the world and would of done alot more damage and probably would of hated running if i had continue on. First ever DNF.

My wife and daughter was at half way mark with Go Daddy Go sign, but she had fallen asleep before i got there:D

Dropping back down to 5km - 10km for next year.

Ray if you read this and whenever you get the chance just change the title of the log to "An Average Log for an Average Runner"

Thanks all for reading the log over the last 10 months.

Sounds like you made the right decision T, some days it's not there.

Don't make the mistake of reducing your mileage just because you're reducing the distance of your goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Really sorry to hear that but sounds like you made a wise decision. Hope you're okay.

Will have to drop some of the mileage as wont have the time over the few months as travelling down home a good bit.

These things are all a learning curve and have New York for sure in 2 years:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Hard luck on the marathon, but it's not the end of the world. As Mr Slow says, dont reduce your targets based on one race, we'd all be running 100 meter races at that rate. Think I seen that Go Daddy Go sign halfway. Those kind of signs always bring a lump to my throat for particular reasons. Great to see the kids supporting the parents in running around Dublin like lunatics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

You'll bounce back from this no problem. No harm taking a break from marathon training and you'll have more fun at the shorter distances. But, don't rule out a come back some time down the road.

Tuesday Night
    Decided to jump back on the wagon and train with the club.

Did a 2km warm up and then some exercises and stretching.

The session was 5x4 min fast and 5x 2.30 min recovery.

The average pace in km for these are as follows:
    1st: 4.09
    2nd:4.13
    3rd 4.17
    4th: 4.20
    5th: 4.30

The first three into wind and up a hills while last two with wind down hills.

Legs went after the third but i pushed too much. Need to learn to pace these sessions:)

Total was about 9-10km in distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

hard luck AR - as you said its not hte end of the world - I also spotted the "go daddy go sign" your little girl had and it brought a smile to my face too. I've coasted through 2 mediocre marathons and blew up in dublin too, but almost feel like I needed to, so as to give myself a reality check about where i want to go and what i want to do. Feel motivated now to really make a proper effort now that the bitter taste is gone

Advertisement