Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overweight child - how to avoid eating disorders

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Zamboni wrote: »
    You want to do a physiological test?...

Now, I suggested doing it only because the OP was already addressing the calorie/excercise/portion size issue. All of it can be done in conjunction. I agree that more often than not it's lifestyle that causes people to be overweight, but that doesn't mean we need to completely ignore the very real reality that - for some people - metabolic or hormonal conditions can be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

Everyone's points are very relevant so thanks to everyone who contributed. I do think that she's getting too many calories and that she doesn't burn them off enough. I also know that my fear of causing psychological problems has prevented me from being stricter on her in terms of food and from making it blatently obvious to her that she needs to lose weight. She knows she's overweight though. I'll go with the calorie watching and increased excercise anyway. Once Im happy that we have corrected that, if there's still a problem with weight then I'll seek a nutritionists advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Eggle

Hi All
    I found this book to help: "The care and keeping of you" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314275310&sr=8-1
    It covers a lot of puberty issues in a very gentle manner, including body image, healthy eating and exercise. Its not just a book to give to your child but maybe one for reading with her and to start a discussion. I find the "American Girl" series a little bit cheesy but very good for the 10-13 or so age group, informative without being confrontational. They helped with my two daughters! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

OP, sounds like you've got enough good advice, it only remains for me to wish you good luck! If your daughter is aware that she's overweight and wants to change then that's a big hurdle cleared, tbh. There's nothing worse than trying to encourage a healthy lifestyle in a child who doesn't want to hear it.

One thing - she might want to chat with you about how she's feeling (about being called fat etc) so make sure you're there for that. Reassuring her that she's beautiful is really important, but that still doesn't stop it hurting when you get called names. There's often no solution to things like that apart from to let her tell you about it and give her a hug. The more open dialogue you have now, the better your relationship is going to be moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dudess wrote: »
    The OP says her daughter eats well and exercises a lot though. I don't think people are being PC at all, just considering that it might be one of those exceptional cases where she gains weight more easily than average.

As for the 11-year-old kid wearing adult size clothes - probably because some adult size clothes are absolutely miniscule. I know there are women who are extremely tiny, but most aren't, and some of the clothes in high street shops that are meant for women would easily fit a child.

She doesn't eat well, she eats sugar all day. I'd be ravenous an hour later if I tried having a bowl of rice krispies for breakfast. Exercise is great and all, but feeding her sugar drinks and insulin-spiking food all day - no wonder she is starving. Toast, crackers, cereal...

How has the food changing been going OP? Less bread, sugar cereals, etc?
    Eggs or natural yogurt with fruit for breakfast? More vegetables (not potatoes), more meat and fish? it will keep her more full and less looking for snacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. There is, imo, a lot of truly dreadful advice in this thread, in particular the "reduce her calories" crew. Do you not think this child has the ability to eat in secret? Hello? Reducing her calories, with or without her knowing, will increase whatever considerable hunger she is currently experiencing and encourage her to think of eating as something shameful and to be hidden.

My advice is to speak to a professional about eating disorders. My mother was concerned about my weight from the get-go and I developed full blown eating disorders from about age 7 or so. Your daughter's hunger may be emotional rather than physical at this stage and she may be eating her feelings. Any focus on her food or weight at all will probably heighten this.

I recommend the therapists, nutritionists and the GP at the Marino Therapy Centre in Dublin. Call them, get an appointment for YOU and get advice on how to handle this the best way.

http://www.marinotherapycentre.com/

Advertisement