Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on a dog tag

• 07-06-2011 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi all,

I was just wondering what information I should put on my dog's tags? I know some people say not to put the dog's name on it, just a contact number .What do you think? Does it really matter whether or not I put the dog's name on it?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

We just put a contact number on ours - I thought worrying about the name was a little much but I could see the reasoning, and I suppose anyone who might find the doggy doesn't really need the name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Mine have my mobile number and "Scan me, I got a microchip".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Mine have our landline number and mobile number on them. My deaf dog's tag also says 'I'm deaf', I figure if anyone finds her they'll be more likely to hang to ring or hang onto her until I get there if they know she has a disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

By law you need to have name & address
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc. Failure to have identification on a dog can result in an on-the-spot fine issued by a dog warden. Failure to pay this fine within a specific period can result in prosecution by your local authority.

Mine has If Im alone, Im lost. 2 phone numbers, address, Microchipped, spayed and my email. and IRL +353number

The "if Im alone Im lost" is to ensure people know she's not supposed to be wandering about.

I put my email as I work on a computer all day so it's the fastest way of contacting me.

Spayed and microchipped as she is, but also to deter anyone from stealing her.

And the international phone number just incase I forget to swap tags when I bring her to the OH's hometown beside the border...

The tag is 27mm diameter so maybe a little large for a small dog, but its brass with deep engraving set in black enamel so its very easy to read, beware of some of the badly engraved / aluminium tags. In my experience they don't last long on active dogs.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The tags on my dogs read

"Dog Name"
    My phone number

and on the back

"Chipped & Neutered"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use the big white plastic tags as they are very visible & easy to read. Mine have the following:

I am neutered microchipped. Please scan

Please phone ********** immediately as my owner will be looking for me.

The "neutered" part is there as a deterrent to thieves.
    I added "my owner will be looking" bit because I don't want someone to find the dog & then delay phoning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

TillyGirl wrote: »
    The tags on my dogs read

"Dog Name"
    My phone number

and on the back

"Chipped & Neutered"

same as, also says vet fee's covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Front:
    "Neutered"
    "Microchipped"
    "If I'm alone, I'm lost"

Back:
    2 contact numbers (my own and my OHs)
    Vets contact number
    (and "requires daily medication" - for the ones that do!)

One of my dogs is deaf, partially blind and has other health problems (bit of an old fart!) so he has a second tag detailing this stuff so that if anyone were to find him (should he get lost) they would know and perhaps be more careful with him.

www.boomerangtags.com is a brilliant site to get tags from - they last so much longer than any other ones I have used in the past and you can put loads of info on them, and delivery is really fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

mp22 wrote: »
    same as, also says vet fee's covered

Oh good idea.

Where do you all get your tags?

Also - is it worth while saying reward for return?

I get mine from these guys in England. Great quality, fast delivery and actually works out cheaper than buying one in your local pet store!
    http://www.identitag.co.uk/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3

I have a brass mini one (20mm) on my golden retreiver as his best dog friend likes to try and eat his name tag :confused:

A small one (27mm) for my new arrival (hopefully in a few weeks)

And a plastic mini one as a back up in case one goes missing :D

I've also ordered these tags for my OH's mother and best friend... On request for one's like mine! Everyone has found them great!

I originally found them through cavaliertalk.com and have used them ever since!

http://www.boomerangtags.com/ These guys are also supposed to be really good and they do steel tags. I can't personally recommend them as I've never used them but I've heard good things!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Mine just say the dog's name and my phone number. I think it's kinda pointless to put an address on it.

But it is a good idea to say "neutered" and "If I'm alone, I'm lost", I never though of that . . .

And they have those tags you get when you get dogs microchipped that say "I'm microchipped, please scan me" or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Thanks for the input everyone.
    evilmonkee wrote: »

beware of some of the badly engraved / aluminium tags. In my experience they don't last long on active dogs.

Hope that helps!

Out of curiosity what is wrong with aluminium in your experience, as in what way don't they last? I'm thinking of making tags for my own dogs out of anodised aluminium because I have a very active dog. I used pet shop ones in the past and these wore away very quickly. I have some anodised aluminium. It seems to be much stronger and it's lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

oooh thanks for the reminder. i got new collars for the dogs, and new mobile number so the tags were out of date, must get them new ones. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Just curious; what's the logic behind not putting the dog's name on the tag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

"If I'm alone, I'm lost"
    ..I like that line might use it on the next tags.
    It just gets across in as short as possible that the dog is wanted by whomever lost it.

You have to have the address by law as said and the owners name and phone number so these aren't really debatable.

Some people prefer not to put their dogs name on the tag 1.it's not required by law (as far as I know) 2. it takes up space on the tag that can be used for a second phone number (some tags can last years and phone numbers can change so handy to have a back up). 3. some people don't want to let any finder know the dogs name because when the owner wants to proove it's their dog they may want to help their situation by using the dogs name or they don't want someone passing by the dog reading the tag and then calling the dog over eg across a busy road etc.
    Up to owners though whether they want to put the dogs name on but your own sirname does the job because that's what's on the chip id or on your own vet record.

I have our name, address, 2 phone numbers, 'I am chipped' please return me to my mum (on the larger tag). I am spayed/neutered All depends on the size of the tag but the minimum I have is owners name, address, 2 phone numbers,neutered or spayed which I thinks an important one it can help deter thieves that steal dogs for breeding..people will steal non purebred dogs for breeding as well so it goes for any breed or mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

I get mine from these guys in England. Great quality, fast delivery and actually works out cheaper than buying one in your local pet store!
    http://www.identitag.co.uk/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3

I ordered from these today, I did not put an address as we are renting, put dog's name, 2 phone number, vets number, "If I'm alone, I'm lost", Spayed & chipped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm just about to order a couple. What are peoples opinions on saying "reward for safe return".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

kmmh58 wrote: »
    I ordered from these today, I did not put an address as we are renting, put dog's name, 2 phone number, vets number, "If I'm alone, I'm lost", Spayed & chipped

Can I ask how much they charged you for postage to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Can I ask how much they charged you for postage to Ireland?

They only charged £1.00. it was called international pet tags delivery or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

By law you need to have name & address
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc. Failure to have identification on a dog can result in an on-the-spot fine issued by a dog warden. Failure to pay this fine within a specific period can result in prosecution by your local authority.

Mine has If Im alone, Im lost. 2 phone numbers, address, Microchipped, spayed and my email. and IRL +353number

The "if Im alone Im lost" is to ensure people know she's not supposed to be wandering about.

I put my email as I work on a computer all day so it's the fastest way of contacting me.

Spayed and microchipped as she is, but also to deter anyone from stealing her.

And the international phone number just incase I forget to swap tags when I bring her to the OH's hometown beside the border...

The tag is 27mm diameter so maybe a little large for a small dog, but its brass with deep engraving set in black enamel so its very easy to read, beware of some of the badly engraved / aluminium tags. In my experience they don't last long on active dogs.

Hope that helps!
    Hi evilmonkee, where can I get same dog tag you describe. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm just about to order a couple. What are peoples opinions on saying "reward for safe return".

Yes and no, on one hand someone finds your dog see's reward for safe return bring the dog home and holds off on contacting you for a few days hoping you'l become more desperate for the return of your dog and more thankful (hence bigger reward) on finally getting your dog back. On the other hand someone finds your dog and otherwise would have ignored him or kept him but see's reward for safe return and decides to cash in for their reward. I'm probably over analysing here, but either way you get your dog back if lost. Il be including 'reward if found' anyways,
    kmmh58 wrote: »
    They only charged £1.00. it was called international pet tags delivery or something like that.

Thats very good, was expecting £3 or £4! I'm off to order 2 so!

What do people think of these? Think I'v included everything.
    For the dog:
    Side 1-If Im alone Im lost
    087 xxxxxxx
    086 xxxxxxx
    Microchipped
    Neutered
    Side 2-Reward if found
    In case of accident vet fees will be covered

For the cat:
    Side 1- I am an indoor cat, if found outside please ring
    Side 2- 087 xxxxxxx
    086 xxxxxxx
    Vet fees covered

I would add 'My owner is looking for me' for the cat's tag but it won't fit. Both of these are the plastic ones from identitag.

Feardorca wrote: »
    Hi evilmonkee, where can I get same dog tag you describe. Thanks

This is the one I have for my little lady:
    http://www.identitag.co.uk/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11&idcategory=4

Out of curiosity what is wrong with aluminium in your experience, as in what way don't they last? I'm thinking of making tags for my own dogs out of anodised aluminium because I have a very active dog. I used pet shop ones in the past and these wore away very quickly. I have some anodised aluminium. It seems to be much stronger and it's lighter.

I don't know much about metals and anodising so I can't comment on that. But the petshop ones in aliminum have gotten scratched and unreadable (on my golden retreiver, big coat and his best friend likes to attempt to bite the tag so it needs to be really clear). I've also lost a few with him going through ditches and such- the tags have worn down and broken not the split ring.

If you think that the anodised is the way to go I'm sure you know more than me regarding metals but if you were buying one I would go for brass or steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Thanks Evilmonkee for that. I see what you mean. I'll give making them a try because the metal I'm uisng is approx. 4mm thick which is much thicker than the ones in the shop. Anyway, I'll see how it goes and I'll bear your advice in mind. After reading the other posts I think in terms of info. on the tag I'll go with:

Phone number (maybe two)
    Spayed/Neutered

I'd find it hard to get addresses, sentences onto the tags because I'm stamping them (deeper) not engraving. It would be nice if there was recognised symbols or acronyms to represent different info. on the tags such as a symbol for spayed or a symbol for microchipped or IIAIL (if I'm alone I'm lost) etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My baba had had one of these (the blue bone one) almost 2 years and it's still going strong after all his swimming etc. I worry about what would happen if he was lost especially with the problems with his legs. I'm not sure if I should get a new tag and add a line with the vets number and something about his legs 'my legs are hurt/sore' or something like that!? Or would that be an incentive if somebody took him for fighting!?

...I can't wait to collect him later now after thinking of him being lost! :pac:

the metal I'm uisng is approx. 4mm thick which is much thicker than the ones in the shop... I'm stamping them (deeper) not engraving.

Sounds like they could work out to be extremely good! Let us all know how they work out!!!

Advertisement