Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

role of women in lies of silence?

• 07-06-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

just discuss moira and andrea ??? because there is no general attitude to women in the novel ?/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ladybike

ak4 wrote: »
    just discuss moira and andrea ??? because there is no general attitude to women in the novel ?/

Well you could say that woman are not seen as being important as the men, as the people who have the big important jobs in the play are all men really.. I.R.A. there is no women as they might not be trusted, the priest is a man (obviously :p ), in the hotel Mike is the boss and his replacement is a man also.. Moira is considered to have a poor job, and her friend works in a shop that Mike thinks is not worthwhile, and Moira is seen as a liabality when she goes and tells the story to the television crews..Maybe thats just my warped view though? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The women are seen as being quite dependant on the men in the text. Moira is weak (physically and mentally), needy and manipulative and needs to be saved. Andrea is never really developed as a character. However, you can argue that Moira has hidden strength because she stands up to the IRA and in that way, she shows Dillon up for the coward he is. Overall, they are not important in the world of the text and are quite stereotypical. Compare Moira to a strong independent character in another text.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

ladybike wrote: »
    Well you could say that woman are not seen as being important as the men, as the people who have the big important jobs in the play are all men really.. I.R.A. there is no women as they might not be trusted, the priest is a man (obviously :p ), in the hotel Mike is the boss and his replacement is a man also.. Moira is considered to have a poor job, and her friend works in a shop that Mike thinks is not worthwhile, and Moira is seen as a liabality when she goes and tells the story to the television crews..Maybe thats just my warped view though? :pac:

thanks this just has figured out a paragraph for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

deemark wrote: »
    The women are seen as being quite dependant on the men in the text. Moira is weak (physically and mentally), needy and manipulative and needs to be saved. Andrea is never really developed as a character. However, you can argue that Moira has hidden strength because she stands up to the IRA and in that way, she shows Dillon up for the coward he is. Overall, they are not important in the world of the text and are quite stereotypical. Compare Moira to a strong independent character in another text.

the other two are the kite runner and billy elliot which both dont have much detail about women so thanks for that idea

Advertisement