Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people feel Michael Noonan TD is doing?

• 07-06-2011 11:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

How do feel people he is doing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I think good, considering the ff mess he has to clean up, i really would not want his job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I should have added in Minister,i feel he is doing ok but i heard rumours of jobs for family and friends going around

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

onerous decisions are not his to make (as we know). Think he will be taken seriously in europe. He's a heavy hitter who will land punches, and as far as i can tell he is fighting our corner well.

just hot off the press.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/news/7finance-minister-to-france-back-off-from-corporation-tax84/

Kiernan o donnell, how's he doing since getting elected, have not heard a word about him.

Anyone know whats he up to as limerick td?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

bigpink wrote: »
    I should have added in Minister,i feel he is doing ok but i heard rumours of jobs for family and friends going around

I heard the same, specifically I heard that his driver is taking home a pension as well as his salary as a driver.

• Advertisement

Cant remember what paper it was on but deffo saw an article saying hehired alot of staff for his department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

How do feel people he is doing?

He is doing grand for himself, so he is, what with,
    A Ministerial Salary
    A Ministerial Expense account
    A Long Service T.D.'s increment
    A Ministerial pension since his last time in Government, he may be foregoing this now, but, he certainly drew it up to November 2010
    A Teachers Pension.
    Have to wonder how he will cope when he has to pay the €200 Water Charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's not a Water Charge.....it's a Home Owner's Charge.
    So, even if you give up drinking water and washing both yourself and your clothes and never even flush your toilet you will still have to pay it.:)

jbkenn wrote: »
    He is doing grand for himself, so he is, what with,
    A Ministerial Salary
    A Ministerial Expense account
    A Long Service T.D.'s increment
    A Ministerial pension since his last time in Government, he may be foregoing this now, but, he certainly drew it up to November 2010
    A Teachers Pension.
    Have to wonder how he will cope when he has to pay the €200 Water Charge.

JESUS what is this guy earning?:eek:

2 pensions is he at retirement age?

JESUS what is this guy earning?:eek:

2 pensions is he at retirement age?

Yes.

Link to Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Noonan

• Advertisement

Oh, and if you really want to piss yourself off, have a look at this.
    From the Irish Examiner
    "Noonan set to get €2,000 a week pension"

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/noonan-set-to-get-2000-a-week-pension-154458.html

T'is a great little country altogether, recession?, what recession?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

jbkenn wrote: »
    Oh, and if you really want to piss yourself off, have a look at this.
    From the Irish Examiner
    "Noonan set to get €2,000 a week pension"

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/noonan-set-to-get-2000-a-week-pension-154458.html

T'is a great little country altogether, recession?, what recession?.

All these guys take care of themselves, none more so than in the bertie ahern era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Any concrete source for the allegations that he's hired a lot of family and friends for his department?

I was hoping that cronyism would have died with the last FF government and I would be very disappointed to hear that this government is up to the same old tricks. He seems decent so far, so I hope this isn't true.

BESman wrote: »
    Any concrete source for the allegations that he's hired a lot of family and friends for his department?

I was hoping that cronyism would have died with the last FF government and I would be very disappointed to hear that this government is up to the same old tricks. He seems decent so far, so I hope this isn't true.

Article in todays irish independent, about cronyism in irish politics, who employing family members, gave lots of examples, michael noonan was not mentioned.

www.independent.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Article in todays irish independent, about cronyism in irish politics, who employing family members, gave lots of examples, michael noonan was not mentioned.

www.independent.ie

This is actually really sickening
    Irish Independent Article June 07 2011

A survey by this paper found that at least 25 TDs -- out of 166 in the Dail -- had hired family members.

Training and Skills Minister Ciaran Cannon has hired his wife as his secretary and his brother-in-law as one of his drivers. The job of personal secretary to the minister, held by Mr Cannon's wife Niamh Lawless, comes with a salary of between €23,000 and €47,000. The civilian driver's post comes with a €35,000 salary.

Junior agriculture minister Shane McEntee's daughter and sister are job-sharing his personal assistant post, splitting the €44,000 salary between them.

Kerry North's Arthur Spring -- who worked as a parliamentary assistant for his uncle Dick -- has now hired his brother Graham as his own parliamentary assistant, a post with a salary of between €41,000 and €52,000. Mr Spring last night defended the appointment, and said his brother was "the best person for the job".

Labour's Kathleen Lynch, a junior health minister, employs her husband Bernard as her personal assistant; junior enterprise minister Sean Sherlock's sister works in his office; and super-junior minister Willie Penrose employs his brother, Johnny.

Other TDs who have also hired family members include:
    > Fine Gael Waterford TD Paudie Coffey, whose wife Suzanne is his part-time secretarial assistant.
    > Fine Gael Louth TD and county football manager Peter Fitzpatrick, whose daughter Grace is his secretarial assistant, a position that comes with a salary of around €23,000.
    > Fianna Fail Laois-Offaly TD Sean Fleming employs his wife Mary as his part-time parliamentary assistant.
    > Independent TD Mattie McGrath has his daughter Triona and niece Kathy sharing the job of his parliamentary assistant.
    There was acute embarrassment within Fine Gael when the Irish Independent previously revealed that Kerry South TD Brendan Griffin -- who had promised during the election campaign to give up half his salary -- hired his wife Roisin as his secretarial assistant, his cousin Tommy Griffin as his parliamentary assistant and helped another cousin, Matt Griffin, get his old council seat.
    Another TD, Dublin North's Alan Farrell, also caused embarrassment when he hired his wife Emma Doyle as a parliamentary assistant, although he later claimed that this was a temporary appointment.

- Fiach Kelly Political Correspondent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

I thought Michael Noonan was a good minister for Justice, his first ministerial role and a very demanding job in that era, imo, he was a poor minister for Health and probably learnt more from it, was a very weak leader of the party, I had great hopes for him there and was an excellent shadow minister for finance but he will now have to deliver more than sound bites, which he was always good at. He will have to get over laying the blame on FF, I know they're to blame but in 2 or 3 years time it'll be his policies that he he will have to defend and not be deflecting the blame.

On a side note, I hope he is a success because if he isn't it's going to get very tough and rough for us mere mortals with (if we're lucky) one wage and one pension when we retire .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

BESman wrote: »

Yes he did give an appointment to a friend of his that would have a nice pension instead of giving it to someone who was unemployed. And a lot of people in the area werent very happy about it either

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yes he did give an appointment to a friend of his that would have a nice pension instead of giving it to someone who was unemployed. And a lot of people in the area werent very happy about it either

I'm not sure I'd blame him here, a minister, in fact any person, that requires a driver would need to be certain that their driver is 100% trustworthy, when they're on the phone discusing business or family matters they want to be sure it stays confidential. It seems to me he had this driver beofre and was happy with his performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

phog wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd blame him here, a minister, in fact any person, that requires a driver would need to be certain that their driver is 100% trustworthy, when they're on the phone discusing business or family matters they want to be sure it stays confidential. It seems to me he had this driver beofre and was happy with his performance.

Fair point really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

in the finannce job is he going to be mickey noonan or mickey mouse when dealing with france or germany, ecb imf etc say that we need an interest rate cut not at the expence of our corprate tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Well he is now stealing money from the soft and easy target of old Peoples pension savings to pay for about 19 tiers of mindless, wastefull, ridiculous Management in the Public Service who don't work a 40 hour month not to mind week......And for a certain selection of Social Welfare Recipient who has calculatedly never worked 40 hours in their lifetime and hopes never to have to.....

As for his pre-election promises, they were never workable, making him either a total Fool or a bare-faced Liar - He can take his pick......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    Well he is now stealing money from the soft and easy target of old Peoples pension savings to pay for about 19 tiers of mindless, wastefull, ridiculous Management in the Public Service who don't work a 40 hour month not to mind week......And for a certain selection of Social Welfare Recipient who has calculatedly never worked 40 hours in their lifetime and hopes never to have to.....

As for his pre-election promises, they were never workable, making him either a total Fool or a bare-faced Liar - He can take his pick......

I think it is still too early to judge him like that.

We had two men directly before him who could be described as anything from being very incompetent to being very dodgy, and who left one hell of a mess behind them.

I reckon Noonan needs more than 100 days to show if he is starting to steady the ship somewhat, and I reckon he will get a lot of stick for things that were already signed off upon by the last Minister Of Finance in relation to what had to be done to repay the "best available deal for Ireland" Bailout.

Going after the lowest paid and most vunerable in society seems to be the Irish way of raising money time after time after time, and I am hoping that when Noonan does something that is his own choice that he does not follow that route.

I have not made up my mind on him yet, but I am willing to give him more time in the job before deciding how good or bad is is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Going after the lowest paid and most vunerable in society seems to be the Irish way of raising money time after time after time, and I am hoping that when Noonan does something that is his own choice that he does not follow that route.

did not his cabinet buddy vadakar say on tv befoe the election the lower paid would be hit again because the rich would not stand for more taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I agree with Kess.

Its too early to judge him yet

Maybe not too early because they (the current government) have followed on from where the last one left off, they have stood by the Croke Park agreement and that is going to strangle this country. Once FG didn't get an overall majority and Labour is their Jackie Healy-Rea then the unions in this country are never going to allow the public service or local government be rationalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Too early to judge him yet i know,but certainly not inspiring any great confidence so far. this intrest rate reduction/corporation tax business is all a big smokescreen. but what he came out with yesterday takes the biscuit, urging people to get out and spend. And this coming from a man(finance minister) that has some of his money in German bonds(as researched by the Irish Times) did we not hear this before from FF finance ministers. "buy,buy,buy houses before they become unaffordable"
    shows that this man is also rather bankrupt on ideas.!!

Advertisement