Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car dealer won't honour Warrenty

Options
  • 07-06-2011 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, need some advise ASAP.
    Bought a new car (2008 at the time) from Mordaunt's in Clonmel never had any problems with it until saturday week when the turbo went in it, they've had the car for a week, I've given them the servicing history but they have now come back & said this morning that Nissan will not cover it under the warrenty as I did not service my car with them. They are saying that the air filter is not a geniune nissan part - even though it was order in the garage I use to fit the car! Anyway they are now expecting me to pay for the repairs. They have said that as a goodwill they will give me the part at half price but are still looking for 1600euros to fix it! What can I do about this, the car is still under warrenty, I didn't sign anything that states that I MUST use a Nissan garage to service my car or anything about parts.
    HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Go back and look at the original paper signed including the fine print; most car companies will consider any warranty null & void if you don't use an authorised garage with original equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ravenhead wrote: »
    Hi Guys, need some advise ASAP.
    Bought a new car (2008 at the time) from Mordaunt's in Clonmel never had any problems with it until saturday week when the turbo went in it, they've had the car for a week, I've given them the servicing history but they have now come back & said this morning that Nissan will not cover it under the warrenty as I did not service my car with them. They are saying that the air filter is not a geniune nissan part - even though it was order in the garage I use to fit the car! Anyway they are now expecting me to pay for the repairs. They have said that as a goodwill they will give me the part at half price but are still looking for 1600euros to fix it! What can I do about this, the car is still under warrenty, I didn't sign anything that states that I MUST use a Nissan garage to service my car or anything about parts.
    HELP PLEASE!!!!!

The rules for warranties are that they must be done with OEM parts to the manufactures specification there is no need for a franchise dealer to do it.

Is the garage that does your work a Nissan franchise holder? Unfortunately it looks like they've fitted an incorrect part and you'll need to deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ravenhead wrote: »
    They are saying that the air filter is not a geniune nissan part - even though it was order in the garage I use to fit the car!

It's unclear what you mean here. Did you get the work done in the Nissan garage where you bought the car, or a different garage. If you used a different one, was the part a genuine Nissan, or was it spurious? Was this part supplied by the Nissan garage?

If the part was not sourced from Nissan, then the warranty may well be void. The warranty is an addition to your rights though, and the Manufacturer can put whatever terms they want on it. Your rights when buying a car are the same as when buying any other product, and you are not limited to the terms of the warranty. If you had unauthorised service/repair work done though, this may have an impact on those rights.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

Was the failure of the turbo a result of getting the services done in a non-authorised garage? Can it be proven to be so, or can you show that the turbo failure has nothing to do with these services, and that the turbo is indeed a manufacturing defect?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed. OP - do not create multiple threads on the same topic in different forums.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement