Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study For Paper 1

• 07-06-2011 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey guys was just wondering what study y'all are doing for Paper One tomorrow? I know some people have stories that they're learning and plan to do tomorrow but for those like me who are "going - with - the - flow" essay wise.. what are you studying for comprehensions etc?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

I am one of those "go-with-the-flow" people. I haven't actually done anything yet. We've practiced question As and Bs in school over and over and over and... yeah you get the point.

For the essay I'm planning on doing the speech so I'm just writing down quotes which would fit into various topics.
    On the off-chance the speech is damn awful, I shall be making up a story... I'm not learning one off though. Examiners can sniff out a learned off essay a mile off unless you're good at blending it into the title. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Language techniques, so traits of persuasive writing, arguments, aesthetic writing, etc. They usually come up in some way in the comprehensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rockycoolness22

Yeah we've been doing A's and B's so much lately like
    Learning off quotes is a pretty good idea as I usually tend to steer away from the stories too and would tend to do the article or speech more

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    Language techniques, so traits of persuasive writing, arguments, aesthetic writing, etc. They usually come up in some way in the comprehensions.

Oh yes they always come up in A "Style Of Writing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've a short story planned, but I don't have it written out. It's very adaptable. But if it doesn't work out, I'll be winging it with the personal essay.

For QA, how does the style convey the personality of the writer? That confuses me:confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah I find that quite confusing too, maybe your supposed to kind of like get a sense of wheter the person has a positive or negative personality by reading what they write and then give an example?

I'm sure that would be valid, as long as you don't start commenting on their attitude towards the topic at hand by accident. I was practising a comprehension recently and it just threw me.:(

Yeah that style question can be really tricky sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I've a short story planned, but I don't have it written out. It's very adaptable. But if it doesn't work out, I'll be winging it with the personal essay.

For QA, how does the style convey the personality of the writer? That confuses me:confused:

If it's really descriptive and has intricate details, you could probably say the writer is a perfectionist.
    If it's really heavy going stuff you could say s/he has a strong personality, etc.

polka dot wrote: »
    If it's really descriptive and has intricate details, you could probably say the writer is a perfectionist.
    If it's really heavy going stuff you could say s/he has a strong personality, etc.

Basically, you can argue for anything, as long as you back it up, and don't go off on a tangent.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

Is there any specific introduction required for speech Essays? Like for the Jc you had to say "Ladies and Gentlemen, yada yada yada..."

I did a speech for my Pre and just made one up as best I could. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I'm reading this tonight and that's that.

http://leavingcertenglish.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I've a few hints here

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Dr.Evil wrote: »

good idea! i know this is asking alot but could you maybe post a few of those traits as we never covered them in our class :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Nothing really. I'll probably look at the format of a report and a memo, just in case. I don't have a short story planned but that's what I'll do on the day unless the titles are awful. Then I'll do the speech, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

For paper 1 i usually just let the magic happen in the exam:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

I'm hoping for qB a diary entry and for the composing part speech :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Does anyone else base their picking of the comprehensions off what the best B part is ?

I know they are worth the same, but i always feel you can lose way more marks if your doing a B part you dislike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Does anyone else base their picking of the comprehensions off what the best B part is ?

I know they are worth the same, but i always feel you can lose way more marks if your doing a B part you dislike.
    Definitely. It's far easier to lose marks doing a part B you're inexperienced with.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

GV_NRG wrote: »
    good idea! i know this is asking alot but could you maybe post a few of those traits as we never covered them in our class :(

Sorry only saw this now. :S
    Smartly Dressed 's link of http://leavingcertenglish.net/ is very good. It should help. :)
    Language of narration / description
    Language of persuasion
    Language of argument
    Language of information

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 delousional

Looking through my pre just there, I realised that my comprehension in English paper 1 was my worst section, so does anyone have any advice or tips on how to do a good reading comprehension?
    As in answer structure, anything like that?

Kinda panicking!
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

- Read the text from start to finish
    - Carefuly read the questions
    - Read text again with questions in mind, underlining passages that are relevant to the question
    - Briefly plan your answer first, jotting down the main points you want to make
    - Remember to quote from, and refer to, the text at all times in order to support the points you want to make
    - keep you sententences short and precise and try to use your best vocabulary

stick to these points and you'll be fine ;)

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 delousional

Iceboy wrote: »
    - Read the text from start to finish
    - Carefuly read the questions
    - Read text again with questions in mind, underlining passages that are relevant to the question
    - Briefly plan your answer first, jotting down the main points you want to make
    - Remember to quote from, and refer to, the text at all times in order to support the points you want to make
    - keep you sententences short and precise and try to use your best vocabulary

stick to these points and you'll be fine ;)

Good luck

Thanks a mil, that saved me today!:D

Advertisement