Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid Standing Order Fees

Options
  • 07-06-2011 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi all,

This is a long shot, however just thought I'd ask for some feedback...

A family member has with BOI for over 10 years now, always had their account in good order, bills always paid in time, always in the black, never gone into an overdraft etc.. etc...

Unfortunately due to illness last month, they were in hospital for a number of weeks and as a result they weren't around to lodge money into their account to ensure bills were met, as a result they went into an overdraft and they have been hit with 8 unpaid fees of E12.70 each time.

This person is on Disability Allowance and now in trying to catch up on their unpaid standing orders/direct debits there is no way they can afford to pay these fees.

Is there any chance they could get a pardon of these fees as it's the first time in over 10 years they haven't had their account in good order?

Is there ever any lee way in cases like theses or "gestures of goodwill" or the likes, or are they stuck with these fees which they cannot afford to pay at the minute?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Sometimes the bank will waive the fee's. Its rare and they might say no but theres no harm in asking. Best thing to do would go into the local branch and explain the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Thanks! I was thinking the same myself, I'll pass the word on - will let you know how they get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The bank may look sympathetically on it if they explain the situation. Drop them a line and see what happens. They all have discretion to return unpaid fees in certain circumstances.

I'd be more worried about the eight originators / beneficiaries who didn't get their money. Your friend will have to contact them and explain what happened.

1) Direct directs - request that they are re-presented
    2) Standing orders - arrange for a manual payment to be made.

Advertisement