Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative study texts

• 07-06-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi everyone, i just have a quick question that i was hoping someone could help me out with. For the comparative i was wondering if it was possible to discuss only 2 texts rather that 3 if it doesnt say so. I was told by my teacher that for the mocks you could but she didnt really clarify it. Is it possible to only write about 2 texts if it doesnt state it on the paper?

Thanks!

Good luck tomorrow :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rockycoolness22

Yeah as far as I know your able to just do two.. I've always done 3 though so dont take my word 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Just do 2 in detail and briefly touch upon the third one just to be safe. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Much easier to get marks with 3, you'll have to go into a lot more detail with 2 texts and more points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

You must discuss three of your texts in the Comparitive section.

You have the option to do it as:

1) Discuss all three texts in one answer, or
    2) Discuss one text on it's own in part a and then Discuss the remaining two texts in part b

e.g. Check out page 4 of 8 in the link below :D

http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC002ALP200EV.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You don't have to do three. However, if you're dodgy on one of your texts, you're better off doing the 30/40 question. I've mentioned this here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

im fine for the theme, its just that the comparative gets a bit tricky. Thanks though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

Are quotes needed for the comparative?

UL wrote: »
    Are quotes needed for the comparative?

I've mentioned this here: reference is more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

As far as I know, you must do 3, unless they ask for 2. They've been asking for 2 or more in recent years but if it doesn't say that, I'm pretty sure you must do 3!

• Advertisement

I examine LC HL English. 2 is fine if the question says 2 or more, but it needs to be excellent to get the maximum marks.

If you're shaky on a text, either minimise your reference to it or if you're seriously f#cked but know one text inside out, do the 30/40 to make sure you pass this section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 moviequoter

My teacher told me that if it only says do 2, then only do 2.
    2 came up in my mocks and I did 3 and then my teacher gave out stink to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭daysleeper

My teacher told me that if it only says do 2, then only do 2.
    2 came up in my mocks and I did 3 and then my teacher gave out stink to me.

that's strange.. usually it says to write about 'at least two', never seen a question that asked you not to write about more than two.

Advertisement